1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heya dudes and dudettes,

I'll be honest. When we were getting ready to launch our pre-order, we didn't expect it to do nearly as well as it has. We worried we might not hit $50k much less $750k. When discussing what we thought we might make the first day, someone threw out the number $3,000 and it didn't sound too shabby. And then we surpassed that number in a matter of minutes, struggling for the next several hours to keep the servers afloat.

In short, you've totally astonished us with your support! We've been doing our best to make it up to you by promising cool features. Or, well, what we think are cool features.

So we've had sort of a stretch goal dilemma since hitting $500k. How do we top a playable race and a fossil system that adds a whole 'nother element to the game without promising something so code-heavy that it'll delay release?

So, as some of you have discovered (you guys are sneaky!), we decided on starter pets. And we think the idea is pretty awesome! I've always personally been a sucker for any game with a pet system.

[​IMG]
    But...the response we've gotten since the WIP reveal page was leaked has shown us that maybe you guys don't feel quite as enthusiastic about starter pets as we do. Err, oops. Our bad.

We're not just going to go ahead with an idea that a majority of our supporters don't like! We need your opinions, and maybe your ideas.

Do you like the idea of starting out with an adorable non-combat companion? Do you hate it? What do you think we should do instead?

UPDATE:
    To answer some of your questions:

1) The next stretch goal doesn't have to be $1 million. :) We haven't given a value!
    2) Each race would have a choice of pets.

2. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I prefer NEIIGHH.

But yes, I like the idea.

3. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

4. EnlightendDead

EnlightendDead Void-Bound Voyager

I hope you guys add some sort of monster splicing or something along those lines. Breed monsters to create new ones, that kind of stuff

5. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

I wouldnt mind it at all, but i feel that that if this preorder takes alot of money like the other ones then it might seem like he stretch goals having diminishing returns

6. Wazupmaster

Wazupmaster Phantasmal Quasar

I love the idea of starting out with a pet! It'll give me someone to talk to as I slowly go insane after getting lost on a planet. :p

And I'm more than happy with the stretch goals we've gotten so far - Anything more, to me, is just a nice bonus, no matter how small or simple.

7. Ein_the_Bard

Ein_the_Bard Subatomic Cosmonaut

To be quite honest, I don't really care much for pets. But I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate them.
    Either way, I'm just happy so many people are supporting you guys. You're all awesome :)

8. Poe Salesman

Poe Salesman Void-Bound Voyager

I don't have a problem with the concept as long as we can get rid of them, but I think they're waaaay too small and unimpressive for something as significant as the $ 1 million stretch goal.

9. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh god

yeah, that would be a good addition to the game, but not for $250,000 jesus christ seriously

10. Nobody's said it's gotta be for $1mil! :)

11. EarthBound

EarthBound Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the pets! :)
    Edit:
    Can we have a mini clone of ourselves as a pet?

[​IMG]

Niozonbi, Qader, BrenSage and 37 others like this.
  12. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I don't know about the others, but as for me, my problem wasn't with pets so much as it just seemed a bit lackluster for a $1,000,000 stretch goal.

I love pets, I would want the pets, but I think everyone just didn't think it seemed like something that would grab too many more pre-orders.

Then again, there are a lot of other people that freakin' LOVE pets to death and would buy it just because of this.

Squawk, zekkrum, Flicke and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

Well Pets would be fun, we'd have to do something truly unique with them to make them a worthwhile 250k extra goal. We'd need some kind of in depth pet system, of which I don't have any immediate ideas for.

Flicke and Phoedaen like this.
  14. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Well i'd say it all comes down to how much money we need to raise to get to that point. if it's 1MILL? sure! it' be nice and it wouldn't feel like we'd be missing out on anything super cool! i

Candy Biu likes this.
  15. Kreg

Kreg Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]
    yes
    yes of course

16. Preecishun

Preecishun Intergalactic Tourist

It's a good idea, not for 1mil stretch goal though.

It would be a very small attribute when we need something much bigger addition to the game.

Zenuel, Sousuke Kuroda and Drakol like this.
  17. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

Considering the playable race seemed to be the highlight, I'm fine with this. You didn't have to give us a stretch goal, and while starter pets isn't the most incredible thing, it's still nice. I can't think of anything better, so go for it.

Zinerith and Kienan like this.
  18. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

It's ok i guess, but we were expecting you people to blow our minds with a awesome addition for a third time. If you promise to add more than 1 starter pet per race we (Or at least i) may reconsider our (Again at least my) opinion :D

P.S: There needs to be a Meh! option for indifference :p

ExoSapien and RichardGque like this.
  19. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

$750,001?

HEROBREJ, Bars, OchreJelly and 15 others like this.
  20. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

Honestly both my wife and I are pretty excited about the thought of some fluffy companions to follow us around, being animal lovers that we are.

ThePhail, Jeremex and RWB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.