1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What will stop cracked versions of Starbound from connecting to legit servers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Annelies, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

It's not our community that you need to worry about.

CookieEpic, Deimos56 and Annelies like this.
  2. This.

For Indie games Piracy is not really an big issue, people even when they download the pirated version, and they like it, they Buy the game. Some people use Piracy to "Demo" games that would like to Buy.

Even DRM is crackable, and the efforts to an Company do it, and in the end it's cracked, are a waste of time and money. And DRM FAIL and Annoy the people who buy the game more, than the Pirates. :p

This game will be sold in more places. It's not Steam only version. Then that would cause more problems than security.
    And even in Minecraft when they bypass the authentication, they can enter normal public servers.

Only way to 100% avoid that is making your server private and add people you know only. :)

3. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

They could use the same system as Minecraft, allowing offline singleplayer gameplay, but requiring you to be signed in for legit servers.

Show, CookieEpic and LastDay like this.
  4. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Well, you know, steam is kinda like DRM you know.

Not that it matter much for being uncrackable, but many people use it because its mostly user friendly and isn't interested in fingering your ass and twisting their fingers inside. Also Sales.

CookieEpic likes this.
  5. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

you seem to have pirates confused with worthless trolls. this is half the problem you guys claim to have, is dealing with trolls and wrongly labeling them as pirates.

6. I'm Sorry to tell you, but Minecraft Authentication Server is easly Bypassed in the Crackable Versions all around the Internet. =/

Bombzero and CookieEpic like this.
  7. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think you can sign into legit private servers with cracked version, Public ones on the other hand are a different story.

Kroniaq and CookieEpic like this.
  8. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

That was kind of the point I was trying to make with earlier posts. Even if you could tell someone was a pirate, which you can't, it's not like someone being a pirate automatically makes them an asshole within the game.

As someone who works in the field of Cybersecurity and Information Assurance I personally think sinking additional funding into DRM or anti-piracy is just a waste of time and money. It's going to happen anyway so it's better to devote the extra effort towards generating goodwill or a superior product that people actually want to pay for.

9. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Yes but my point was that having no authentication at all completely dooms public servers.
    Maybe protected servers can be bypassed, but having doors wide open is much worse.

All Terraria servers I played on had constant attacks from griefers.
    Meanwhile there are quite a few large Minecraft servers with hundreds of people and very few griefers.

Now as I was thinking about it I just remembered that there are servers that only allow server-side characters.
    That's a pretty good sign that there's at least some sort of special protection.
    You pretty much need an account name and a password to log in to a character that's not on your computer. :)

(To again clarify: I don't mind pirates, but I don't like griefers.)

CookieEpic likes this.
  10. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Kyren was talking about on the IRC, about having accounts. Steam players get automatic login, and normal .exe people have to put in their (name:pass). They seem to have also put in an offline mode..

Show, CookieEpic, gaminji and 2 others like this.
  11. geordi

geordi Zero Gravity Genie

I DONT CARE if i play with people who didn't pay. I won't get butthurt like some of the people who have posted here. I chose to support developers of this game and gladly payed, if anybody else didnt i really dont care to each their own.

Bombzero, CookieEpic and Bacon like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's a $15 indie game, anyone with a conscience who pirates it and enjoys it will feel too guilty not to support the developers.

13. Private is Private for that, not only for Pirates, for everyone.

Pirates use an very smart way to bypass everything with DRM > They make the GAME (not the server) belive you are logged in, with an server emulation, then multiplayer as it is third-party server based is open for enter. Even an script to check if Pirate version would not raise a flag since the emulation they do, it's the exact samething, an Login Server do for example.

Even if a DEV is updating their game every week with new anti-piracy to make them emulation stops working, they update them again to fix it. It's a never ending battle.

14. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

The difference you're overlooking is not that one has user authentication and the other doesn't, it was in the availability of admin tools and their variety/effectiveness. Plenty of paying customers can be equally terrible griefers. Minecraft simply had a large availability and variety of server based monitoring tools and mods that allowed the owners/admins to lock things down and manage the players better. Terraria really didn't have many of those types of tools and the ones that were around got regularly broken with every patch.

Starbound however is coming with those features standard and has great mod support, so I would expect to see many such tools soon after release.

CookieEpic likes this.
  15. Now we are not talking about Piracy. We are talking that Servers will have Moderation tools that if somebody is abusing, breaking rules, etc... Kick/Ban, and it's done!
    Hopefully Starbound will do that, Terraria server were awfull in Security and Moderation Tools. :)

Dont you say such thing! A 10kb File can Bypass the Steam Logins into Any Game! Don't you trust Steam for Security or Anti-Piracy. :)

16. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Terraria did have a ban function, but because there were no accounts you just had to change or spoof your IP and do it again.
    You didn't even need any cheating programs to mess around with it.

Of course Minecraft does have much better tools, too.

17. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

No, no. I think it creates an account for the steam person, and automatically logs them in.

CookieEpic likes this.
  18. geordi

geordi Zero Gravity Genie

This thread is somehow rewriting the definition of pirate into griefer.

I pirated minecraft, did not grief. I ended up really liking the game and bought two copy's.

Pirates being in the same game as you is not a problem. A griefer will grief regardless of paid or pirated.

Brynjolfr, Bombzero and Avatra like this.
  19. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Pirates can easily grief. Change ip, come back again.

CookieEpic likes this.
  20. Yes I know Steam in normal with Login Games, it creates the Account. :p

Now if there will be non-steam version of the game, that were confirmed... Easy Pie for them =/
    Also even the Steam Login is possible to crack, far I know about this techy stuff, they just change the game steam files and Replaces the Exes (that are inside the steam folder) with the direct access to the game.

Because the Steam version is also the normal .exe one :gooby:

Not Quite. In this things you find griefers everywhere. I would not be impressed if the guy who Spend 2k in the Max Tier would be a 100% Noob that will come in in every Server flaming about the Statue of Him mad in His Honor
    :)

Bombzero, CookieEpic and Avatra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.