Do you need Hamachi to run Multiplayer like in the previous Terraria?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by MentalBlanc, Apr 11, 2013.

1. MentalBlanc

MentalBlanc Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey everyone, I know this might seem a bit stupid a question, but I couldn't help wondering, do we need Hamachi for Starbound, like Terraria?

2. MentalBlanc

So I'm guessing that's a no for Starbound, right?

3. Zidonuke

Zidonuke Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

And I've heard that setting up server's on Starbound will be much more accessible than on Terraria.
    Do not worry.

Beta_Nebula likes this.
  5. MentalBlanc

Thanks, that does settle me, those Hamachi server things were so laggy.

6. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you have a router and know how to port forward, you don't need hamachi. If you have no router, or cant port forward, you need hamachi. I can teach you how to port forward if needed.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Cosmic Narwhal

it would be great if you could link to a good tutorial or somthig

8. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I mean you could always google it. but heres a quickish tutorial.

1. You must have a router.

2. Somewhere on your routers packaging or on the router itself you should be able to find a website, along with a username and password that will connect you to your router. (If you cant find it you can search for it on Google using the brand and name of the router you have).

3. Different routers have different "websites", but you must try to find a tab that says something to the effect of "Port Forwarding", and click on it.

4. Find out your local ip address. You do this by opening the commend prompt by clicking Start>Run>Type "cmd". When the command prompt opens, you must type "ipconfig" and it will give you a couple numbers, write down or make note of the numbers corresponding to ip address. (This is different from your normal ip address) (Note that depending on your network, this local ip address may change slightly, so if you have it working for a few weeks and it stops working, check the local ip address again using the command prompt)

5. When you click on that tab you will need to enter 3 things. The port you want to forward, of course, your local ip address, and it usually gives you the option to identify it with a name.

6. Follow whatever steps you need to, to make sure your router settings are saved, and you should be set!

This is just a quick guide for port forwarding, if you still have trouble, try searching youtube for a video on how to port forward, and include the brand name of the router in your search.

Hope this helps.

KirasiN and shardshunt like this.
  9. Cookiesauce

Cookiesauce Starship Captain

Hamachi is probably an option, but you can use other softwares, or you can port forward.

10. Rainbow

Rainbow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My interent comes to my house, through an Ethernet extension box a football field away, and then comes all the way back to my house, plugging into my router. My shiz is all over the place. Gonna be stuck with hamachi for life.

11. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

you dont need hamachi neither for minecraft nor terraria, the same way it will be with starbound, if you know how to properly setup the port of the router

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Fathomir

Fathomir Big Damn Hero

There isn't any 'physical' requirement to forward ports. Usually you need to just log into your router and make sure the ports are open.

There are hundreds of tutorials online for forwarding ports. They differ per router, so it would be really easy to find one on google for your specific router brand and model.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  13. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

You guys do realize that you only need to port forward if you're planning to host a server right? It's not that hard to do, and most of the times you don't even have to thanks to uPnP.

But if you really need to do it, check portforward.com or whatever the site is called, it has a tutorial for every available router. If you have no access to your router then call your ISP and tell them to give you access or open the port themselves, if you're a college student...then you're out of luck and will have to probably use Hamachi, though I wouldn't host a server on a college connection, they tend to be unstable.

To add to what Alec5h said, your computer IP changes every time it asks the router for an IP. If your router gives you a different one your ports won't work. In this case you either have to change the IP on your port forward settings manually, or set up a static IP using an easily googled guide.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. My Router I have in home doesn't let me port foward, even that it's supposed to let me do such thing.
    Was a nightmare for me host a Terraria server.

Still I'm wondering into buy an Hosted server, if starbound was some Decent Optimization that Terraria didn't had by far... It would be afrodable.

Terraria hosting Costs were ABSURD, it was Cheaper Host Crysis 3, BattleField 3, Minecraft. But Terraria, well it is one of the games with most hosting costs involved. In Geral Terraria was 40% more expensive, and a such simple game. Isn't that absurd?

15. KirasiN

There are some ISPs that lock your router settings to the bare minimum, very annoying. I once had this issue, my ISP decided to randomly lock my router to half the settings. I called the tech support and gave them an earfull.

However if that's not the case, then perhaps you're looking in the wrong place or need a new router, think that would be cheaper than buying a hosted server.

16. My case is that the router page where we changed such thing... It appeared in list that it was fowarded but when checking, nothing.
    Contacted Support they said lame things that is my fault, etc..etc.. But the router panel is crappy enough. Sigh....

17. Rainbow

Rainbow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes but you have to port forward through each router.

18. Fathomir

Fathomir Big Damn Hero

Apologies then sir!:proper:
    I thought you only had one router to deal with in your line. My bad.

19. KirasiN

If you are certain that you forwarded the port on the router, it could be the following reasons:
    1)PC firewall/antivirus blocking the port
    2)uPnP can mess things up sometimes I heard, but I doubt it's this
    3)You don't have a static IP

20. Static IP is something that mess me up. But I tested the router the same time I changed the ports there, samething, even dynamic it wont change untills connects again to the router.
    MY router even isn't listed in the forwarding guides or programs to do so.