OpenGL

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Misszov, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Misszov

Misszov Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys!
    Will I need OpenGL to play Starbound?
    Im asking for that because my computer have problem with that, I cant play any game that use OpenGL
    So answer me please :D

PS: Soory for my English.

BrutorDragon likes this.
  2. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Well, maybe you could fix your OpenGL with our help instead. What seems to be the problem?

3. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

I have that problem too, video cards made before... 2008?... can't run openGL because... well they weren't designed to be good enough.
    I'm gonna look into getting a new computer myself, but I hope it isn't intensive enough to need openGL, I might not be able to run it.

failcake likes this.
  4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Well, the devs said they've been able to run the game on pretty old hardware, so you might not need to worry about that. I don't really know what OpenGL is though.

Kitty Box and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

OpenGL is a video renderer, it basically "Draws" all the polygons and shapes onto your screen and loads textures and animations and stuffs. (I think, :unsure:)
    But if Starbound is its own engine then it might use a "software" render, so you don't need any extra fancy stuff, it does it on its own.
    :p

Kitty Box and WoxandWarf like this.
  6. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Well, they are creating (or created?) their own engine from scratch.

7. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

Yep. Starbound is its own game engine.

8. SlashEdgeXX

SlashEdgeXX Tentacle Wrangler

I don't know why your computer wouldn't run OpenGL. It's been around since ancient times and has been implemented in GPUs for a good 15 years. I hope they do use OpenGL, that gives them more platforms to distribute to. And I won't have to use WINE or switch back to Windows to play :).

9. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, Starbound for Linux pushed me to chenge my OS to Ubuntu at last! :p

10. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

they are using a library that fully support most of the operational systems, independent of it using OpenGL, they are only using OpenGL (which is integrated with that library) for some additional settings

SDL supported OS

i also heard you could use it for Nintendo DS

11. SlashEdgeXX

SDL and OpenGL are both WIDELY supported. If SDL is compatible with OpenGL ES, it also has potential for phones :). I don't actually know much about SDL, but it seems to work well enough.

12. Izach

Izach Void-Bound Voyager

What you said is not true at all, openGL is one of the most basic graphic based thing out there, most programs run off if. (even if it is not a game) What you to may be having trouble is the power of the graphic card your computer has... Graphic cards aren't that expensive so you can get one easily.
    How do I know this: my computer was made in 2001 and it could run thing with openGL just fine, just not big games that ran off of directX and more advance 3D stuff like that (I eventualy had to get a better card because it didnt have enough graphic space)

P.S. if you are saying this because of trouble with Minecraft its not because of openGL, its because of the language that Minecraft was coded in. JSYK :)

13. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Sorry, let me fix that I can't run any OpenGl above 1.2
    That's bad by the way. :cry:
    Minecraft is above 1.2

14. SlashEdgeXX

How old is your computer? Are you running an ATI Radeon 7000? And I don't mean HD7**0. The original 7000... lol. AGP 4x, 32MB DDR, etc. You might be due for a bit of an upgrade...

15. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Starbound targets OpenGL 2.0

We are also planning on targeting DX9, iirc, but that remains unimplemented for the time being.

16. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

So, I do have to upgrade to run the game then?
    Damn, better start uhh... hmm how to get enough money for a not old computer...

17. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

[​IMG]

18. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I know im not as nerdy as I wish, I do not know what OpenGL is...
    So...
    Sure? :badpokerface:

somers27 likes this.
  19. SlashEdgeXX

Open Graphics Library. It's an API (Application Programming Interface) used to render graphics. Microsoft has DirectX which is proprietary, and the most widely used for games. But it only works on Windows :\. OpenGL supports just about everything, and offers easy mutliplatform port-ability, since it works on all 3 major OS types (BSD/Mac, *nix, Windows), phones, consoles, etc. Same with SDL or Simple DirectMedia Layer.

Basically, OpenGL would be used for the graphics engine and people with old hardware might not be able to run it. DirectX has a similar problem, but since any hardware since 2001-ish supports DirectX 9.0c it's not as much of a factor unless you go to DirectX 10/11.

20. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Oh...thanks...
    :catface2: