Sizes of Planets

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by XtremeNinja45, Feb 12, 2013.

1. XtremeNinja45

XtremeNinja45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

im just wondering if anyone knows the possible sizes of planets, and if they generate with random sizes

with
    small
    medium
    large

Thanks

2. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

It has been confirmed that planets can be infinite!

3. XtremeNinja45

where and is this in the size, of the planets not how many there are, how much room there is

4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Planets will have varying sizes. And they've only said that it's possible for them to have infinitely large planets, not that they're actually going to have them.

5. XtremeNinja45

cheers just what i was looking for

6. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

Actually...what I heard is that they WILL have infinite planets, problem is those planets will only be infinite horizontally, you won't be able to dig that far.

7. I believe that there is no current size limitation on planets, or number of planets, or number of solar systems... (Starbounds gunna be so endless o_O )

8. XtremeNinja45

and also is procedural generation different from random generation

thanks

9. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Yes, it is. Procedural generation makes sure that the stuff it spits out makes sense (depending on how well it is coded). Random generation doesn't care whether or not the stuff it spits out makes sense.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  10. XtremeNinja45

aah so random could be messed up and the other not so messed up, cheers

11. Fauznaut

Fauznaut Big Damn Hero

Wow, this thread is a rare gem. I have seen a lot of yelling at each other over dumb arguments. Kudos to you guys.

12. Stickman1

Stickman1 Phantasmal Quasar

Im not realy sure if thats true. Actualy Starbound will have both. And infinite planets are confirmed. So "varius sizes" does only affect dungeongs and such.

13. Gunzier

Gunzier Star Wrangler

One question, The planets will have "ends" like in Terraia? or, if you go every time to left you will appear in the other side (right)? because the planet is a "circle".

14. Fauznaut

Fauznaut Big Damn Hero

I am pretty sure if you keep going in one direction you end up back at the start.

15. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Procedural Generation means a specific algorithm is used to generate stuff. Random means that there is nothing particularly structured about it. For example, Minecraft is Procedural generation. If two people put in the same Seed, then the world that generates for them will be the same. The same thing is in Starbound. The Coordinates you put in influence EVERYTHING that appears on that planet, so the same coordinates for two people produces the same mobs, planet, terrain, etc. This makes it easier to share stuff with your friends, as there is nearly an infinite amount of content in this game.

Now, a lot of people don't understand that Starbound isn't truly Random. However, the infinite-ness comes from the sheer amount of items, planets, etc. So gameplay itself will still be rather random, as there are likely billions of planets to explore. Which means if you visited One planet every second, it would take MANY years to see all of them. Straight. And that's assuming Billions. The number of planets could be well into the Trillions.

Stickman1 likes this.
  16. Stickman1

How now 3 people said, they are infinite or pseudo infinite like in Minecraft.
    The MC world is 32,000,000*32,000,000*256 Blocks.
    You will normaly never see the end.

There will never be complete random computer games, it always has a random-seed to choose out.

17. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Planets do loop, if you keep going, you'll eventually end up back at the start, Like a real planet :rofl:

18. Stickman1

But must the planets in Starbound be real planets ? :yoda:

19. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Yes. The devs have said themselves that planets will loop, and I doubt they'll be changing that any time soon

20. Stickman1

Weired. I just asked 2 days ago and they said the opposite o_O