How ''magic'' would fit

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DevilForce, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes! i like it!

41.1%
  2. No, i dont like it.

45.2%
  3. I dont care.

13.7%
  1. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Guys. Why are you arguing about this? We already know that the game won't have magic, if you think the game should have magic just make a mod. Also, this argument has nothing to do with this thread; the OP suggested a legitimate sci fi method of incorporating magic-like abilities. I actually really like his idea and would bet the devs already have something similar in the game. And even though I don't agree with everything he talked about, I think Dairuga has the right idea.

P.S. Not everyone can recognize a bunch of abbreviations right away (or at all) ChaoticGamer. It kind of weakens your argument if there are people who have no idea what your talking about.

Dagorlad likes this.
  2. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

Like I said...
    [​IMG]

to put magic into the game. I mean come on, I think we could screw around few magical things around here, that able extends the reach of not being max out in research. Come on, it should be fun in some point of view or can be very tricky in some point.

Silverduke1 and DevilForce like this.
  3. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Because this is a sci-fi game. Not a magic game.

Dagorlad likes this.
  4. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

^This.
    Let's stop arguing for something nonsense.

5. EnderRydel

EnderRydel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And who says magic can't be incorporated into a sci-fi universe? Pretty sure there's a rather lengthy post on the front page of this thread explaining how feasible it actually is.

6. Dagorlad

Dagorlad Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you want to go around throwing fireballs, build a flare gun or flamethrower, if you want to freeze mobs into ice statues build a cryogun, problem solved. If you want magic go back to Terraria.

7. OnyxTortoise

OnyxTortoise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Dagorlad
    Yes, exactly.

I like it that the game won't have any 'biotics', 'midi-chlorians' or 'psionics' in it. There are too many games with those fantasy proxies already.

8. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

Closest thing to magic should be ancient alien technology.
    Other than that it is illogical O_O

9. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is completely irrelevant with what I said.
    As someone said, "Magic is Undiscovered Science" isn't it ironic?

10. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

On Terraria, there wasn't that much magic, y'know.

11. wizzard

wizzard Aquatic Astronaut

'How magic would fit' .. to make it short: not at all!

Dagorlad and Straw Hat like this.
  12. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

That's the another thing. :p

13. Dagorlad

Cloud in a jar, charms to transform into werewolves/merfolk, wings, winged boots, magic books, magic scepters/staves, plenty of magic to me.

14. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Oh. You're right about that. When you said magic, i just remembered that water bolts and stuff.

15. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

now imagine all of that in Starbound, BUT only all of that is scientifically explained.

16. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Ouuh. Yes, yes it is.

17. Dagorlad

No, if you glue a pair of cardboard triangles to your shoes you don't get to fly all of a sudden, you are mocked and thrown into an asylum.

18. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

true but what if you attached small triangles with extremely powerful airthrusters to provide lift running off of solar energy

bshadow likes this.
  19. Dagorlad

You'd need shoes the size of a TIR truck in order to store enough power to provide more than a light breeze to the floor.

20. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

With our current technology but imagine technolgy trillions of years ahead of our own it could be plausible and if we cant build smaller then a certain size we could very well be able to create wormholes small enough for nanobots to bring energy through from a planet sized generator