How Does Starbound Compare? What Terraria Fans Should Know

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by LadyAijou, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x-adam1234-x

x-adam1234-x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

im guessing your not the real redigit

2. NotRedigit

NotRedigit Guest

Actually I am a space Unicorn.
    Guess you caught me. X3

I am also guessing you are not a bowl of soup?

Sors likes this.
  3. x-adam1234-x

x-adam1234-x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you guessed wrong.:cry:

4. Zolon

Zolon Big Damn Hero

Excellent post, M'lady.

5. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Yes it might appear to have a few similarities but i believe it will be to differant to call it a Terraria remake. This game will be awesome regardless

6. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for the post!
    Should help New forumers-Er NOT LIKE ME- figure out what this game is like xD
    ~ Thank You!
    John Devince

7. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Is that really not you ????
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

8. qwertie

qwertie Void-Bound Voyager

I played Terraria and enjoyed it a lot. I am sure Star Bound will be a ton of fun as well.

9. MintyFresh

MintyFresh Void-Bound Voyager

Informative post LadyAijou, answers some questions that I'm sure are on several Terrarian's minds.
    This game sounds better and better every time I see pics or read details about it... it's going to be something special.
    Once this comes out, I'll be pressing pause on every other game I play :)

10. Matz05

Matz05 Orbital Explorer

Yeah, I think that this is evidence that Terreria touched off a genera--most fans of roguelikes look at simpler games like Rogue and older as charming but limited.
    The same with the FPS crowd and Doom/etc.
    Nobody remembers the first "social networking" game, but they spawned floods of imitators.
    Minecraft proved that procedural, modifiable voxel terrain could be made into a hit game, and now everyone and their grandmother is looking into the concepts of procedural terrain and voxel destructibility.

Terraria proved that character customization, sidescrolling modifiable grid terrain, and multiplayer sidescrolling adventures could build on the survival/building genera popularized by Minecraft.

Starbound takes those concepts out of the scope of survival alone (or relatively so) on a planet and works goals in. Basicly, I would pin the largest divergence from Terraria on the fact that you are on a quest. There is a goal to your existance, and a variety of short-term goals that NPCs desire of you.

Other elements that Starbound adapted include:
    Modular generation of items (eg. Borderlands) (did anyone else do this?)
    Abducting and improving weakened enemies for your own use (eg. Pokemon)
    Deeper combat (too many examples to list)
    "Home bases" that others can be invited to in multiplayer. (any notible examples?)
    etc.

11. kijib

kijib Aquatic Astronaut

Q: Starbound killed Terraria, I HATE YOU!

A: Honestly, it didn't! You as Terraria fans have it in your power to keep the game alive and well through mods and community support. Tiy had a dream, and that dream is Starbound. He wanted to pursue this dream, and here you are! Don't lose heart and let go of a game you enjoy simply because development is finished. Give Starbound a chance, and you won't be sorry!

Not to be a party pooper but Terraria doesn't have mod support, and it seems like they don't want to add it because of this game
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/other-add-mod-support-before-you-guys-leave.81462/

12. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

That really is not true. Red's decision was based on his own life circumstances, and was not related to the development of Starbound. He explained very clearly why he chose to end the project, and why he was moving on. That he too hopes for the success of Starbound only speaks to his character, and shows that in spite of the very misplaced outrage, he can still be the bigger person. My statement was not to convey the current status of Terraria's mod capability, it was to say that whether or not the game "dies" is completely in the hands of its fans. The end of development does not delete the game from existence, nor exclude anyone from enjoying what was already a finished product.

13. kijib

kijib Aquatic Astronaut

your argument makes no sense how is it "in the hands of its fans" if they don't add mod tools to the game

14. O.o_That_Guy_o.O

O.o_That_Guy_o.O Void-Bound Voyager

Even if terraria isn't developmentally alive at the moment, I feel that this game does have a lot to offer that many terraria fans (as well as new ones) can enjoy. I am extremly eager to play this game and cannot wait for it to be released (anything after September 18, 2012 will have to wait because meanwhile, I will be playing Borderlands 2)

15. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Big Damn Hero

It's nice to have these points emphasized. Thanks for posting Lady Aijou!

16. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

All I have to say is you probably don't want to say StarBound isn't like Terraria. It kind-of is. The only real difference is that StarBound has lots, lots, lots, lots, lots and LOTS of lots and lots more content.

So, yeah. Nothin' big. Still totally Terraria. Terraria fans will like it just fine.

17. firefoxjtc

firefoxjtc Void-Bound Voyager

i gotta say, ive never really understood the rage that came when terraria ended its development, the game is great, and far more than i expected when i started playing, that being said, im really excited about starbound. i mean it looks awesome. The anticipation of this game will be similar to when i was waiting for the 1.1 update. what seemed like ages watching the threads and waiting for more teasers to peak my curiosity. i can't wait to get the same enjoyment and perpetual mystery of this game. and to the devs, keep up the good work, so far it looks to be made of nothing but greatness;)

Klokinator likes this.
  18. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

It makes perfect sense. Does the existence of Starbound negate the existence of Terraria? No. If Team Fortress 2 stopped having content updates or adding stupid new hats, would people stop playing it? No. If they took away support for making new items, would people stop playing it? No. If the devs started making another game, would they stop playing it? No.

Whether the game dies is in the fans' hands. People are so crazy about "The next big thing" that they think it means the older things die out. This is simply untrue. Terraria dies when you let it. Terraria dies when you decide it's not fun anymore. Terraria dies when you no longer enjoy playing, building, or exploring in it. Patch 1.1.2 came out in Terraria. Weeks went by, without another patch, and people kept playing it. It was not dead, then, right? But Red decides to leave Terraria development, and suddenly it dies? It makes no sense. Let's look at the true facts.

1) Patch 1.1.2 comes out. People think Red's still working on the project. Our current mod support is the same mod support after 1.1.2. The game is still alive.
    2) Red Stops developing Terraria. We're still at patch 1.1.2. Our mod support is STILL the same mod support. Suddenly it's dead?

Here's the funny thing. We were fine when we didn't know Red was quitting development. We were fine playing the game, fine having all the fun in the world, and fine with our mod support. Suddenly Red stops development, and things change? No. Nothing changed at ALL. We were fine with playing 1.1.2. The game was still alive after patch 1.1.2. If Red did not announce he quit development, we'd still be at patch 1.1.2, still be having fun playing it. It would still be alive. You know the saying "Ignorance is Bliss?"

TL;DR. Games don't need new content to remain alive. As long as a game is giving people fun, it'll still be alive. People will STILL buy Terraria. And STILL have fun for it. Most people won't admit that they're just bitter. Bitter that Terraria "ended." Bitter that the game had so much unfulfilled potential. The game didn't die, just their will to play it.

But hey, RIP great games like L4D2, who have absolutely no people ever playing on it. (Even if it had no mod support, people would still play it.)

Statistical Edit: 3k players on Terraria right now (Excluding Mac Wrappers, mods, otherwise.) Peak at 7k.
    4k players on L4D2 right now (Including mods) Peak at 9.3k

Hardly dead.

Plaggor, LastDay, Sors and 2 others like this.
  19. Klokinator

Klokinator Big Damn Hero

For me, I was one of the biggest criticizers of Starbound, and I completely changed my mind when I saw that video in the OP. It's awesome, has its own graphics style, an entirely new lighting system, and to me, it expands on all the bad things or limiting things about Terraria so they are nonexistent.

I'm honestly at a loss about whether Redigit's next game will be able to outdo Starbound, even though he said it would make us forget about Terraria entirely. It looks like you guys have figured out every single thing that personally bugged me about Terraria, like autowalking up 1 block inclines, which is frankly even more genius than sloped tiles. I'd still like to see sloped tiles implemented but w/e. I can't see many ways to improve the amount of extras and sheer openworldness that this game brings to the table.

The only bad thing I can see happening is having too much content. You might choke people to death by shoving too much down their throats, even awesome can be overbearing. We'll see, but I doubt that'll happen xP

Sors and firefoxjtc like this.
  20. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

Precisely LadyAijou! You are very much correct! Sometimes it bothers me that people automatically accuse Starbound as Terraria's successor... just because it's a 2D sidescroller and was made by the co developer of Terraria doesn't necessarily mean it's a sequel to their earlier game... even though I know where people are coming from when saying so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.