RELEASED Longevity v1.5->v1.6 (DNPCD_BETA) [@v1.6.9]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by RTGOAT, Mar 13, 2017.

1. TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Longevity 1.6.5 is crashing my game on my wedding day. The whole wedding scene plays, it fades to black, and the game (and SMAPI) close before I load back in at the farm house. Removing longevity from my mods folder fixes the issue.

What sort of consequences would there be if I removed longevity from the game, played through the wedding day, and re-added it after I had a save past the event? I noticed I still had mod crops in my chests without longevity in the game. Would that screw with progression or the save file in any way?

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@TheMediocreMrRook

Nope! You can remove it and put it back in after you've got through the day.
      I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Much of what would cause this issue relies on code that hasn't been changed much in the last few months.
      It could just be you, or no one else has reported it?

• TheMediocreMrRook

Figured out the problem (kinda/maybe?). I'm getting married on the first of winter, and I think something in the way taxes are implemented at the beginning of the season is conflicting with the way the wedding spawns you outside of your house instead of in your bed. Disabling taxes in the configuration also stops the crashing.

Or it might have to do with the fact that I had taxes disabled for the transition of summer to fall, and turning it back on for winter is screwing with something? I don't know enough to say. It's definitely taxes causing the problem though.

EDIT: So I turned off taxes, got married, turned taxes back on, and slept through winter. Taxes were applied at the transition to spring, however the introduction to Kent cutscene made me need to reenter the house and exit for the money to be deducted.

Important to note just in case you're unaware: If you turn off taxes for a seasonal transition and then turn them back on, you do NOT just get to skip taxes that month (as I had hoped when I did this back for the summer to fall transition). Instead, your income is carried over and applied to the new month, putting you into a higher tax bracket and actually costing you MORE money. I suppose there is a good roleplay justification for this, but since I think most people who do this will be like me and are trying to avoid how punishing the taxes are in the early game, as it is now it's really annoying.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
        • RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@TheMediocreMrRook

I'll look into some of these issues with Kent and weddings to smooth the trigger.

Also, your post gave me quite a laugh as I never took time to think on how the mod would work if you tried to avoid taxes by toggling it off for a season.
          Love to see its keeping you guys from being cheeky! Lewis doesn't like when you try to avoid taxes :p

I understand that taxes might be a bit of a burden early on and possibly difficult for some later on, however, this is what it was designed to do; give challenge.

• luna_panshiel

luna_panshiel Pangalactic Porcupine

do try and remember though, tedious obstructive grind isn't really challenge, it's just that, obstructive. forcing people to min-max their early game to get established at all is a pretty big turnoff to even enabling that feature

typically when someone moves into a new residence, it takes time for the paperwork to go through all the bureaucracy and be properly applied, i think the actual tax portion of the monthly bills should get delayed for a period of time, while utility portions are not

that would lessen the burden for getting settled in while allowing the feature to serve it's purpose

EDIT: also it pays to keep in mind the main character moved to stardew valley to get away from that sort of bureaucratic nonsense to begin with, maybe hitting them with it full force right away isn't the best thing to do

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
            • TheMediocreMrRook

Oh, I'm aware. I just wish the timing was better. The first of the month is when most people are saving up for a new batch of seeds, and having taxes strike all at once then can really screw up early game progression. Ideally, taxes would be taken out at a different time - maybe the start of the third week of each month. Or have it taken out automatically each day as you sell stuff. Honestly, I prefer the latter.

Also, if it isn't like this already, certain expenses (mostly just seeds) should be deducted from your income when calculating taxes. Assuming it isn't like that now, any seed with a rate of return lower than your tax rate is costing you money to plant and sell.

• TheMediocreMrRook

Ehh. I'd say the entire POINT of this mod to add a little more obstructive grind, to slow down progress. I just think it could be implemented in a less frustrating way. Suddenly losing most of your money on the day you need it most isn't fun for me, especially at the beginning of the game where every penny counts and the ridiculously game breaking set ups aren't available yet.

• luna_panshiel

well yes, i am aware of that, but it should ramp up gradually, not start out with a brick wall in front of you. plenty of korean MMOs available for that

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

@RTGOAT the mod got featured!!! Congrats to everyone involved, you're all doing a great job!!! :D

RTGOAT and Seismothesaurus like this.
                    • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure how people are having so much difficulty with taxes... I was maintaining a 10-20k gold balance early-game easily. Now I'm at the end of the first year and upgraded my house and bought a ton of sheds, now my taxes are about 20k and I'm still keeping well over and averaging about 40k by the end of the month (pre-taxes).

Maybe you guys just aren't keeping good track of your spending versus income? :p

Edit: Since someone decided to try and take me seriously and make an assumption about my gameplay, I was joking for the most part on this post.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
                      • luna_panshiel

or maybe you aren't just reading what is being said, it's that first portion of the game BEFORE people have a decent farm set up that is murder... your income is pretty much irrelevant to that

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@luna_panshiel I've started new games probably 10 times with Longevity installed. I have multiple mods to make the game cost me more money, including Longevity, to get things done. I still don't seem to struggle with the taxes as much as you're seeming to imply.

I didn't have a decent farm setup. In fact I didn't have a setup at all, seeing as they're new games. I haven't even grown crops outside of the seeds that I get from the Community Bundles yet. But I know how to look at my taxes page by the 15th and see how much money I've made up to that point, how much the taxes are around then, and make an estimate of how much they'll both be at by the end of the month and plan by that.

Not everyone started using the mod after they had a setup done. So honestly unless there's a bug that's somehow causing people to go insanely in debt, the mod is fine. The mod is designed so you're more careful in what you buy and upgrade and actually have to make a plan of what you want to do...

Also, seeing as the taxes are connected to your income as well as all the buildings and such on your farm, I'd say it's pretty relevant.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
                          • luna_panshiel

coming in and bragging about your income isn't relevant, especially regarding a time frame where established farm income is utterly off the point. and you're actually disregarding the fact your "multiple mods" are very likely to be overriding changes made by longevity, now if you aren't going to even attempt to read what -multiple- people have said on the subject, kindly stop

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@luna_panshiel If it seemed like I was bragging, it was not my intention, and I apologize. I was only trying to say that if you are careful with how you spend money and what you sell or buy, then it's not that difficult. The mods that I use don't affect anything from Objectinformation or interfere with Longevity in any way, so they're not doing anything to affect the taxes either.

I have been reading what people are saying and my interpretation is that it feels like you're being met with a large stop with little to no money to do anything with early-game. It feels 'punishing' by having the taxes installed because progress is extremely slow or, for some apparently, it comes to a halt. I only said that I never experienced any of that; that's not to say I didn't have some moments where I wasn't sure if I would have anything to work with the next month, but I've never felt like I was struggling to move along even then. I just planned poorly.

But whatever, I'll drop it. :)

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@luna_panshiel & @Xuomi

Taxes are progressive and scaling. Your first month taxes, aside from small insignificant fixed taxes, are almost entirely on your income. Unless you're speedy unlike me, you probably don't use sprinklers or a ton of machines early on so your water/capital is minimal; also, your building tax is likely 0 if you don't try to rush a coop or barn. Because your profits are less due to having smaller influencers from skill as well as less capital to grow your farm, you are most likely falling into a lower tax bracket. You can more than easily handle first season taxes; if not, I would like you to provide some values so I can help you further work it out.

If you continue to disagree, you could always disable taxes for the first season and then reapply them when you're ready for them. Note, if you try to disable them after you've started the game, you will only make your tax situation worse. If taxes make the game seem grindy for you, or any other negative, disable them. I don't have time to accommodate the 1%, even though I wish I could.

Aveloren and Xuomi like this.
                                • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@RTGOAT Just wanted to apologize for that little uh "argument". I didn't think it would get that bad, but your taxes work and scale perfectly for me.

RTGOAT likes this.
                                  • Mukora

Mukora Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I was wondering. Is there anywhere I can go to see the full suite of portraits for the dynamic NPC stuff? I've tried opening the files themselves but I think the XNB stuff is kind of beyond me

• minibit

minibit Void-Bound Voyager

• Is there a way to install JUST the DNPCC stuff?

• luna_panshiel

in the config you can turn off features you don't want, they're still there, they just don't function

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@minibit Technically, no. But you can disable all options except for DNPCC in the config file. Then only DNPCC will work.