Modding Help Huge Dungeons

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SpazDiesFirst360.0, Aug 8, 2017.

1. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

Hello. Sorry if there is a thread that explains this already. I couldn't find one.

So I made a enormous dungeon that I want to be spawned, but I don't know if I just patch it in microdungeons files or there is a special place for that.

If you know anything, useful input is appreciated.

2. snakeanarchy

snakeanarchy Phantasmal Quasar

if someone doesn't reply before i get home, i will post some info.

3. SpazDiesFirst360.0

Thanks. Would be sucky if I had to put it in every biome microdungeon folder.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Did you include anchor points? If not, it will unlikely work as a microdungeon.

5. SpazDiesFirst360.0

It's not really a microdungeon, or a dungeon that naturally spawns at this point. All it is right now is a dungeon that can only be spawned via /placedungeon. But I want it to be a dungeon that can naturally spawn and not a microdungeon.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Even still, it won't work without the proper anchors. Its all the same system really.

Every dungeeon has specific points on them, not sure what the technical name is for them, that are used to "test" for whether or not there is a block there, and it uses these points for deciding if it is able to spawn that dungeon or not. Without these, it will fail every time.

Its really hard to explain, maybe @snakeanarchy will be able to explain it better.

I do suggest looking at how the vanilla dungeons are set up, and possibly looking at mods that do it too. Usually reverse engineering will get you some results.

7. snakeanarchy

so, file wise, to just spawn the dungeon in for testing, like i am doing, you will need "dungeon_worlds.config.patch", and instance_worlds.config.patch, in addition to your dungeons>missions>"yourmodname">.json/.dungeon files. this is how ive done it, and though just starting out, i have gotten it to work, spawning my player to the dungeon world for tweaking of the map. i believe there are examples floating around of both patch types, of which tells the dungeon on what environs to spawn within, gravity this, and biome like space. these two examples show some of my progress, from in planet to outer space.
    20170706123745_1.jpg
    20170710071537_1.jpg

hope this was helpful

8. snakeanarchy

so anchor points, as Lazarus has referenced, are used for a few reasons, one cool one, is in ship encounters, so you have a ship with one dungeon file, that references 3 separate .json files. as i understand it, this allows you to have a pretty varied difference in encounters, allowing you to have random different segments generated per spawn in. based on reviewing the dungeon .json files in the assets, you can tag a Anchor point say B on one file, that associates to another anchor point on another, so you have one big object in game. you could have 10 .json's, when in actuality only having 2 in use at any time. i believe that is where the .dungeon file comes in, indicating which two can and will spawn when the map is generated, hope that makes any sense at all, i been meaning to do something with anchors, but i haven't got around to it as yet, still trying to get my custom objects to actually spawn in a dungeon successfully :(

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/basic-patching-now-with-path-guide-v1-9.84496/
    can be a helpful guide for patching by The Suit

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017