1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Crash when selecting certain weapon in inventory

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MyHeartPills, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MyHeartPills

MyHeartPills Space Hobo

Hey all,

I saw similar issues in the forum for the crash that I'm experiencing, so I figured I'd put up a bug report for my specific problem. I can reliably reproduce a crash when accessing my inventory and selecting a certain spear weapon. I'm not too far into the game, still in the first system searching for the Floran clues.

Steps to reproduce crash:
    1. Open inventory.
    2. Select the Callox Psiimpaler spear (DPS 16, ROF .9, Special: Barrier)

What happens:
    Game crashes with a Fatal Error: Access Violation detected at... crash window. Attached is a screenshot of the crash window, along with the log file (although the log file doesn't seem to reflect the crash).
    Game was running with NO mods.
    Game was running in fullscreen mode, 2560x1440 resolution.
    Game was running the 64-bit executable, on Windows 10.

Machine specifications:
    CPU: Intel i7 4700k
    RAM: 32GB DDR3-2100mhz
    GPU: 2 x MSI 970 4GB, running in SLI
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitor

Other notes:
    This crash appeared with SLI turned both on and off.
    This crash appeared with the executable set to run in administrator mode and not.
    This crash appeared after deleting the Starbound directoy, and reinstalling.

If you would like me to upload my player/universe, or need any other information, let me know.

Update, 08/04/2017:
    I did some further testing, and it appears (like others on the forum say), that the crash only appears when you have a weapon of the same type in your quickbar. So for instance, I had a different spear in my quickbar slot for all of the above discussed crashes. However, when I removed that spear from my quickbar, the crash no longer happened (I could freely select spears in my inventory).

So, as a workaround until this is fixed, make sure you aren't selecting weapons in your inventory when you have another weapon of the same type in your quickbar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Cally94 likes this.
  2. Zeus2459

Zeus2459 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the workaround! I had the exact same issue

MyHeartPills likes this.
  3. MyHeartPills

MyHeartPills Space Hobo

No problem! It seems to be a fairly prevalent issue; did yours occur with a spear as well, or with another weapon type? I haven't been able to check with any other weapon types.

4. Shaky_hands

Shaky_hands Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, thanks for a fix!
    Have found two uncommon fire-based sniper rifles and encountered this crash.
    With Tecklacki Oceanblaster 19.9 1.2 18.9 Enemy Bomb and Manaticon Moonsinner 35.8 0.7 34.7 Grenade Launcher.
    Both costing 2970 pixels.