1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Barleyman, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Barleyman

Barleyman Void-Bound Voyager

First or all, "oil" in the search doesn't giv meaningful results.

Wiki et al say that oil is in "great abundance" under desert planets. I basically turned two desert planets into a Swiss cheese and found 2-3 shallow pools of oil in one location only. So not that abundant, I found a lot more water than oil.. Also a large Glitch castle and Apex science base, but I digress.

Is the oil supposed to be near surface where you can get daylight by making holes in the background? I shouldn't actually dig in but only explore existing caverns? Its only in the sandy bits, not bones etc?

2. Workable Goblin

Workable Goblin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oil is found mostly in the Tarpit biomes, which are pretty recognizable and seem pretty common to me. I don't think I'd describe oil as being "great abundance," though, which is probably all very well since there aren't really that many recipes that require it...

3. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Usually it's pretty shallow, but like Goblin points out you can find them in tar biomes which occur both above and underground. If you can find one above ground I think you might find more abundant oil underneath.

4. Barleyman

Ok, so the wiki is misleading, finding oil in desert biome shouldn't be easy. I don't think I saw tar pits or tar biome.

5. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

It should be on desert planets. You might just be having bad luck.

6. Barleyman

I guess that's what the coordinate thread is about. I walked around another desert planet without spotting a tar biome. Then again I already have the miner's hat which is needed with the EPP lacking a built - in flashlight. I just would've liked to have at least *some* oil in reserve as e.g titanium bow needs it.

7. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Found my first tarpit biome on my first desert planet, which is on my first/starter star system. If you don't want to spend time looking for it, you can visit my star system with this coordination -746696849,776899430.
    The desert planet is the outermost one (I live in Chi Rim III, btw), and the tarpit is some distance to the left with copious amount of oil without the need to dig - this planet also contains an avian airship and a human settlement.

I freaked out a little and soaked up as many oil as I could the first time I saw the place, screaming "IMMA BE RICH" and all, but turns out Starbound economy doesn't really work that way. :(

8. Barleyman

Thanks! I traversed around a 4th desert planet meanwhile in vain and yeah, yours has nice ripe pools of oil right in the surface. Now I have enough to make crayons for a whole kindegarten. I guess I should go scrawl some graffiti on your neighbourhood..

Tyle likes this.