1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So about them Humans...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jul 14, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I've seen a lot of arglebargle about the lack of Human colonies, but I feel like there's a bigger picture being missed here. Notably, from the "Off-Earth Human Census" codex...

"Total humans leading nomadic existence: Unknown"

This is important, I think. Not simply because "Unknown" is an out. I mean it IS, but still. As I've gone through each Race's stuff and over-the-hell-hauled each one's main wiki page, something I'd suspected for a while now I had numbers for.

Humans may be the most widespread and common NPCs in the game.

Humans are friggin' everywhere. Where other races cluster, Humans diffuse. Any Biome with mixed-race Microdungeons, Humans are there. Savannah huts, Mutated and Tundra science stations, Foundries, spaceships and stations. Several of those Microdungeons leave out some races, notably the Floran, Novakid and Glitch. Humans also seem more common in those mixed-race groups, but that might just be random luck. It's also notable that the Letheia Corporation, despite being (apparently) Hylotl-owned, employs a lotta Humans to do that icky manual labor. And of course ex-USCM bandits are everywhere.

Humans also have more unique Tenant types than any other race. Here's some numbers!
    • There are 16 unique Human Tenants, +3 shared w/ Apex only, +1 shared w/ Apex & Hylotl (total 20)
    • Apex have ONE wholly-unique Tenant, same +4 shared as Humans (total 5)
    • Avian have 4 unique, +1 shared w/ Floran only (total 5)
    • Floran have 3 unique, +1 shared w/ Avian, 1 w/ Hylotl (total 5)
    • Glitch have 8 unique, none shared (total 8)
    • Hylotl have 2 unique, +1 shared w/ Floran, 1 w/ Apex & Human (total 4)
    • Novakid have 1 unique (total 1)
    • There's a whole lot that can be any one of the 7 based on random choice or furniture type
    Humans got twice as many unique, Human-only tenants as the next-"largest" batch, and on average 4 times as many "unique or only 2~3 races" types as the others. Hell, unique Human Tenants outnumber the unique Apex, Avian, Floran, Hylotl and Novakid combined.

Seems like Humans may survive simply by sheer numbers spread throughout the cosmos. Which fits with the lore painting Humans as way more given to exploration than the other races. This does open the door for unknown clusters of humans to pop up again if they wanted to make some "villages", of course, as refugees from Earth pool together, or whatnot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. florinblain

florinblain Subatomic Cosmonaut

The census codices bother me because they feel to me like narrative handwaving. I honestly hope they add more properly designed human dungeons (and maybe get rid of the existing ones, both of which feel somewhat weird and out of place) and quietly forget about the "humans don't colonise planets" thing, because I don't think it makes much sense.

I also hope they add non-human bandits at some point. That doesn't make much sense either.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    MysticMalevolence and STCW262 like this.
  3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Non-human bandits, strangely enough, existed back in Giraffe. Bizarrely, Hylotl were easily the most common species for bandit NPCs.
    Prisons also existed back then. They sorely need more Codices to explain their purpose properly. Namely, how they were supposed to "increase staff compliancy", according to the USCM Annual Report, or what were their methods...
    Generally, the old USCM bunkers could easily come back, or at least the concept of more USCM dungeons, considering that the main change would be making them have more "rusty" blocks, such as Rusty Metal; and that other inhabitants could replace the old guards, such as making the bunkers practically full of robotic enemies (And probably a few Parasprites), putting Occasus cultists...

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Where did ya get that?

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The Hylotl inspect line of the Letheia Corp Sign says it explicitly.

6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I see ^^
    Thanks buddy :3

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The Letheia Corp handbook also has the Hylotl flag symbol on it, and says they're responsible for Hylotl entertainment things like Numi & Beautiful Attempt.