Dev Blog Starbound Explorer's Guide

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Or you could just enjoy the game without getting hung up on semantics.

2. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

I remember some user on this forum saying Nuru used to be a princess in beta lore. Whatever case, she's still a princess to me :nuruflirt:
    I will enjoy the game and the semantics, thank you very much. Whether they've got a pistil, stamen, or tits, they're all genderless! And that's silly, it makes me chuckle.

Cally94 and Kawa like this.
  3. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Have you forgotten where you are? This is the internet. people doesn't just move on here when there are lack of semantics somewhere.

For some people its just pure torture to witness something that doesn't make sense and some even prefer real physical pain rather then to see something that doesn't match up or add up.

also if this is because you devs are trying to end that creepy floran love obsession from some of the pervert players? then i have to brake it to you guys that there is isen't much you guys can do or say if you don't change the models and remove the breasts from them. only thing i can think of that wouldn't be illogical to say would be that their skin is like poison ivy to touch for other races. and that still wouldn't change the people even if you guys somehow did manged to end the love obsession.

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I actually had a very nice twitter chat with @mollygos on the whole "gender" thing, and while I won't C&P it, I will say that the "no gender" thing is a case of them not having properly put a bit of lore out and then clunkily phrasing it. In that Floran society doesn't have a concept of gender roles, as they are a single-sex race. But they CAN take on "male/female" gender expressions if they wanna once exposed to the concept. (The graphical diffs are just something unavoidable due to the nature of the costume/graphics/blabla engine.)

And they're looking into better expressing that concept in the book and making sure that such awkward statements (conflating "sex" with "gender", mainly) don't happen. Seeing as how this also ties into the Glitch and Novakid, who also really wouldn't have biological males/females.

Given how careful CF has been with their phrasing throughout the game (the Wedding Veil description remains a small but important example) when it comes to gender expression and sexuality and all that, I believe they're on the right path and just stumbled a bit in representing it. Now that they've been made aware of the issue (I mean not just me, it's popped up elsewhere), they're looking to better state that concept. And I think that's a really damn good thing.

5. Jonesy

That's all you needed to say, really.

Huh? Why are you calling me a developer?

maestro kitty likes this.
  6. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Glitch do seem to actually have males/females nonetheless. While they're robots and would normally be genderless, they're robots built to simulate a civilization, and function as close to organic beings as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
  7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

http://starbounder.org/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_It

They have male/female gender expression, but do not engage in any kind of analogue/replication of biological procreation requiring the conjunction of specific-sex parts.

This might reflect on what was written about them for the book, and the Floran issue might have meant they'd want to look at the Glitch to see if they got their point across properly.

8. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Physically they do not. But it's likely that they think they do, and that they have one of the two identities assigned upon their creation. Perhaps it's among the features that "felt right" to their parents.

While devs have avoided specifically referring to Nuru as a she, the Glitch Baron is very much known as a he. It would only be different for self-aware Glitch, really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
    Cally94 likes this.
  9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm just saying they got three races that ain't gots no biological sexual split (cuz two of 'em ain't biological and well even biology ain't a strict black/white split in humans but that's a whole kettle of fish for elsetime but my point and I do have one) and that the sex/gender confusion issue popped up with the page on one of 'em, so it's probably a good idea to re-look at what -if anything- was written along those lines for the other two to make sure there's not some confusing language happening.

Cally94 and DraikNova like this.
  10. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the looks of this. I would love to see all the artwork and get more lore in my hands too. I would definitely get this if it was published.

My only concerns are if this holds a significant amount of extra info and lore that isn't found on the wiki. The book can definitely show off art, be a lot more accessible to people who either don't have access to the wiki all the time or just prefer a book instead. But other than that, I am afraid of it being a bit redundant. But even if it was, it's still a cool "collector's" item for Starbound fans. I personally love the looks of it so far!

On the other topic:

When attempting to establish something as fact, semantics is very important. Regardless, where one thing may seem meaningless to one person, it may be the only meaningful thing to another. We have to respect both sides of every spectrum, and everything in the middle :nuruhappy::nuruflirt:

However, it is important to note that a Floran could be genderless and reflect the appearance of a gender at the same time. For instance, we all have noticed Nuru appears female. However, if Florans are hermaphrodites, as all plants are I think, then depending on necessity, or choice, the Floran could theoretically appear to have the characteristics of one or the other gender without being either. Kind of like a snail, where dependent on need or deliberate decision, they can change genders. Though that makes me question if it would be classified as "genderless" or if the specific Floran in question would be classified as either male or female depending on which they choose to be at the time with the ability to change anytime, or at least if needed.

I'm sure there are more scientific minds that can say what I'm trying to much better, but I'm hoping that I'm making sense...

EDIT: Whoops... Didn't mean to double post... Sorry :catcry:
    Merged this and my last post.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    General Nuclear likes this.
  11. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

I don't see why there has to be a fracas every time Floran biology comes up, but hey; I'd be over the moon if Chucklefish added some kind of support for nonstandard body types/gender dimorphism (or lack thereof).

It's just, you know, plant tits exist, why not enjoy them?

STCW262, Kawa, DraikNova and 2 others like this.
  12. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

True wisdom

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

"fracas"?

An ill-explained concept was phrased clunkily in a manner that was incongruous with other material. CF is looking to correct that after some uncomplicated and unheated discussion, and now we have a better understanding of the creator's vision which (which boils down to "Floran can look 'male' or 'female' if they wanna" and doesn't seem like anyone's complaining about that), and that vision will be better-told in a product that reaches beyond a single messagebaoard or reddit forum.

Seems like this is a fine case of positive discussion leading to a solution that should hopefully make the most people happy.

oh noes

STCW262, Kawa and DraikNova like this.
  14. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

You know, maybe we've been thinking about this wrong. Gender is based on social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. So it doesn't really matter what sex parts Florans have. Maybe they have no concept of gender differences and thus are genderless?

STCW262, Kawa, DraikNova and 2 others like this.
  15. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That actually makes a lot of sense. This would even explain why some races reference the gender of florans even though the florans don't. Perhaps it's really just a matter of cultural perspective.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STCW262 and Kawa like this.
  16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well yes. It's just that the book-as-shown did a poor job making that point.

STCW262 likes this.
  17. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well after the whole gender problem (that is very normal for 2016/2017).

I'd like to know the ending of the original story. Greenfinger! Big Ape! Clipped Council of Wings Something! Thornwing! Dr. Lax Whatever Her Name Was! Unless.....the story of 1.0 will soon start to mirror it.....?

*or left to die*

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Ten bucks says the "ending" was never written and they had no idea how to and that's why it all got flushed.

It always felt really vague and disconnected with everything anyway.

19. Jonesy

My favourite part is the NPC at the Outpost who keeps talking about the Ruin long after it's been defeated. Doesn't exactly make me feel like I've saved the galaxy from an eldritch abomination.

20. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

yeah i could..
    also i didn't mean you but i'm not that good with writing as you already know.
    actually how people treat each other with the different gender are based on social and cultural differences. gender it self are not based on social and cultural differences if it was so, then i could have just moved to another land with different society and cultural differences and suddenly magically get transformed in to the other gender.

your either born a girl or a boy and thats what a gender is (although you can change it now with modern surgical procedure. sorta your DNA and skeleton will still say that your a boy) and we can't reproduce without the different genders.(although some species can change their gender to reproduce it still literally turns them in to a different gender physically speaking but so can't we do without surgery) deal with reality.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.