1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm probably not the first to think about it

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Piero1983, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Piero1983

Piero1983 Intergalactic Tourist

Florans can grow fruit in their own body?

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Nah, they cannot I think

3. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

To be honest that would be pretty good. You would be playing survival as Floran and you never need to eat.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Actually that's not true. The matter for the fruit has to come from somewhere. Florans couldn't just create matter out of nothing. But to get back to the original question, I agree with D.M.G. I don't think they could since fruit is how certain plants spread their seeds. It wouldn't be evolutionarily necessary for Florans to do this since they can move and such.

5. Namtazar

Namtazar Subatomic Cosmonaut

The usual warnings about florans is " do not be fooled by they peaceful and beauty flower looks - they are carnivores. " So we know florans have this flower like appearance (and even one mushroom like too) and they basically don't need flowers because they don't need any bee like creatures to spread they pollen. Why they need flowers than? To attract other creatures, to fool them with this peaceful looks (and maybe even with some nice sweet scent and smells). And there is the possible reason to florans be able grow fruit like "bait" on their bodies. Of Course they can move, use weapons, make traps and hunt like other carnivores, but having some little tricks like that would be useful for plant creatures. That what i think

Pangaea likes this.
  6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That's actually a nice idea! Though, would this be true fruit or would it only mimic fruit? It only needs the appearance of fruit without the other things fruit has to offer like sweetness and nutrition.

7. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Fruit is a cute idea, but that would be a mutation or sub-variant of Floran. I think that the foliage and pretty flowers are used to attract prey, whether it be vibrant colors, or the otherwise mentioned sweet scent. One idea could be, with no evidence of my notice, that the flowers are also a form of attraction between Floran, that brighter and more beautiful flowers attract better mates. Florans are, however, asexual and have no gender, despite the fact that there are florans with boobs and florans without boobs, so lets not be thinking too hard about floran reproduction.

8. Namtazar

Well. I don't know official version about how they repopulate and breed (need to read more lore) but flowers and plants are well known to be able of regrowth from various ways. For example: strawberry can spread by seeds on berries or by roots, potatoes have berries to (but we never let them grown because we need edible roots, not poisonous potato berries) and can be growth from seeds or from... potatoes. Actually you can cut one potato to pieces and growth several of potato plants!
    So i think florans may use to grown real flowers and fruits with real seeds as a backup help for saving they population. And we see florans spread fast on the universe maybe becouse they have not one, but several methods to be growth

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

The Floran are hunters. I take that to mean they actively pursue prey. Using flowers and things to attract prey seems more like passively waiting for prey to get close and killing it. So maybe the flowers are more for camouflage. Maybe fruit could also be part of that.

10. Namtazar

Well. They a little to bright in colors to use it as camouflage. I know we are talking about alien planets and forests but they still looks like Earth ones. Dark green and brown are the main colors here and anything others will be really takes attention. But florans not just hunters - they are intellectual race. So they can camouflage themselves with some smart tricks.
    Truth is: it looks like florans are not about silent and accurate hunting with ambushes and traps, but about direct fight, storms and challenges. So for all dump enough creatures this bright and cute flowery colors can be centre of attraction and some sort of bait, but for all others it is basically - a combat paintings. something to make an attention like "look - i am here! i am warrior, a dangerous one! So dangerous i dont need to hide and can be here blooming like a centre of attention!"

11. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

that's creepy as hell man

imagine if you just like started growing plums

that would be a horror movie