Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meevers

Meevers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ooohh good idea. I'll try adding tiles on the front layer. Thanks!

Karmylla likes this.
    • Ba.mbieBam

Ba.mbieBam Master Chief

Hi So I am brand new to modding, I am currently doing a small map edit for practice but I cant figure out .
      1- How do you move a set of ... tiles ( I think thats what its called ) as a group . Like I want to move a certain group of tiles from one side of my map to the other side.
      2 - Same as above but moving an animation and still keep all the frames.

Is that possible?

• hojichas

hojichas Void-Bound Voyager

Popping into this thread again - is it possible to edit maps on a mac? From my understanding, tIDE doesn't work on mac, and Tiled can't load .tbin files.

• kebab4you

kebab4you Big Damn Hero

Heyo!

I'm not a modder but I'm trying to fix an issue with a map that I downloaded from nexus. Seasons doesn't change the tiles for the map, the weather effects work though.

When I look in the .yaml file for the map I see that the author included the tile sheet "spring_outdoorsTileSheet" but not any other of the seasons sheet. However when I extract vanilla maps I see the same thing, only "spring_outdoorsTileSheet" defined in the .yaml file. So I'm guessing that's not the issue then.

If someone have time could you explain how the game change seasons on the maps if the other tile sheets aren't defined in the .xnb?

• Fairycake

Fairycake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been wondering this too! I don't need to do anything too complicated, just wanted to make a tiny tweak (adding a little doghouse to the pet area) to a map just for personal use.

• anothersarah

anothersarah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been keeping an eye on Tiled as I think a couple people are trying to work towards supporting Stardew Valley maps. It's pretty out of the way for me to use tIDE so I'm hoping for progress!

hojichas and Fairycake like this.
              • Fairycake

Fairycake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh yay! Thanks for the info, that's good to know!

• zanderb22

zanderb22 Title Not Found

How can I make an arrow pointing down in the textboxes?

And there is one water tile (1718) the one with a wooden thingy that displays over the water texture that the game adds. I've had this with a different tile in a different map too, but that one displays fine in this map... I've done it exactly like in the official map.

How can I fix that ??

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
                  • lambee

lambee Subatomic Cosmonaut

I browsed the wiki modding help here.

There is a Map property as Outdoors T. I do not know what's function of this property. =.=

If I add this property to my map, will the bee house produce honey?

If not, how can I make the beehouse work on other map that is not Farmmap?(by edit the xnb file)

Thanks for any reply.

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure if you're still looking for an answer, but the staircase from the Kitchen to the Cellar is found in the townInterior.xnb file.

• zanderb22

can anyone help me with any of these things ?

How to create seasonal tilesheets of tilesheets that don't have this

How to create indoor quarry (if possible at all)

What is the type of footstep sound in the entrance area of mines (or how to find this out)

How to remove debris in area where save editor cant reach

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Hey @zanderb22 I think I can help you with this!

1. In case you've tried to manually do it (add them to the Content and Maps folder and then loading the map that is should be using the new seasonal tilesheets), and you didn't succeed, that means you can't manually add new seasonal tilesheets to the game.
                          What you can do is reuse one of the seasonal tilesheets already in game and expand them to what you want to add, like the Town, or the Outdoors tilesheets.
                          You can also use Advanced Location Loader, which allows you to add new tilesheets and make them seasonal, thanks to the code, but to use it you would have to add your map through it! It will really depend on what you want to do!

2. To add or remove a quarry, you'll need to make a SMAPI! Though, I think Mining at the Farm can help you with that, check it out!

3. The type of footstep is stone. (Tile Index Properties -> chose tile you wan to add this sound to -> Name: Type| Value: Stone)

4. To remove debris in a certain area you'll have to edit the map with tIDE (or Tiled).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
                          • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

Is there currently a way to edit multiple tiles' properties in tIDE? I have a lot of tiles to go through and would prefer not to have to edit every single one to do so.

I'm hearing a lot about Tiled as well, is that a good program to work with?

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

You can't do that on tIDE, unfortunately, but Tiled is a great substitute!
                              Check the wiki for how to edit a map via Tiled:

"Before you start, you should install these:
                              on Windows​
                              • XNB Extract 0.2.2 to unpack and pack the game's XNB files. (See forum post.)​
                              • Paint.NET to edit image files (or use your favourite image editor).​
                              • To edit maps:​
                                • tIDE 2.0.8 is a map editor for the game's map format. This version was customised by Kithi to enable conversion between the game's .tbin files and the .tmx files we'll be editing. It fixes an issue where exporting to .tmx would lose tile data like animations.​
                                • Tiled is the map editor we'll use to edit the game's maps. It has some advantages over tIDE like automatic edge-fixing, better performance, fewer bugs when editing Stardew Valley maps, and features like copying & pasting between maps."​

• zanderb22

Is tiled similar to tIDE in how it works? I just learned how to use tide but its so laggy and the fact that u cant copy between maps is really lame

edit: I downlaoded tiled but how do I make it remember all the tile properties, like Type and Passable

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
                                • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I use both, I personally use Tiled when I make new maps from scratch, and tIDE when I need to make small changes.
                                  The interface is a little different, but you'll get used to it in no time!
                                  I love it, honestly, and Tiled is getting constant updates while tIDE has been abandoned.

• zanderb22

I downlaoded tiled but how do I make it remember all the tile properties, like Type and Passable

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Please follow the wiki, it will give you all the information you need!
                                      The Tile properties are right here, but I really advise you to read the entire article!

• zanderb22

I read that but I really don't get it. I don't have an object layer and when I make one there is nothing in it, furthermore when I save the file and reload it in tide all the properties of every single tile are gone

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Oh yeah, there has been an update to Tiled that made it buggy for tIDE to support, mainly the properties.
                                          What I can advise you to do is, edit the map in Tiled and then edit the tile properties in tIDE. Till we get a new updated, we'll have to make due with what we have :S

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.