Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

@Katzeus, I've noticed something about the wiki for a while now. Whenever I enter something in the search bar, it doesn't come up with any suggested pages. I think it used to, but was really finnicky about when it would show any suggested pages. I don't know if that's something you can look into or not.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

We'd actually disabled that just a couple days ago while we were experimenting with how to reduce server load. We figured out some good solutions which aren't tied to search, so I'll get this feature re-enabled tomorrow - I agree it's very helpful to have suggested pages.

Jonesy and The | Suit like this.
  3. Johannmeca

Johannmeca Master Chief

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

5. The | Suit

I probably should have mentioned this long time ago, But this bit should be added to the mods modding page;
    http://starbounder.org/Modding:Materials:Mods

If some one can - that would be great.

6. The | Suit

7. krokodil

krokodil Orbital Explorer

So I've been looking for what feels like all over the place and I can't seem to find an answer to it so I'm just wondering if registered members can even edit the title of a wiki article? If someone has marked it for cleanup and the reason for cleanup is that the title needs to be renamed for example. Also how does one edit/add the "racial descriptions" for an item, I mean if a racial description/quote is missing and I want to edit it in when I have been in the game and scanned said item.

8. krokodil

krokodil Orbital Explorer

I don't want to spam or be annoying or anything but it's been over 3 weeks since I made the above post and I haven't gotten a reply yet?

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

@Katzeus, I know we talked about the wiki search function a while ago, but it's still acting up. It'll show search suggestions if you type in a single word, but the moment you start typing a second word the suggestions stop appearing altogether. That makes searching incredibly tedious at times. Can anything be done about it?

10. Katzeus

I think you're seeing a case sensitivity thing...the search finds the first word regardless of case, but won't populate the second word if it's not case correct (all titles should be capitalized on the wiki). I can see if there are any solutions out there, but in the meantime I'd bet capitalizing that second word would work just fine.

11. Jerolaro

Jerolaro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Katzeus I'm wondering about the "Upcoming features" page. It seems outdated. Should someone, that may include me, update it?

12. The | Suit

Katzeus likes this.
  13. Katzeus

Please do - any out of date info feel free to jump in and update yourself or ping here. It's a really big wiki, keeping a handle on all the information definitely needs community support!

For 'upcoming features' which have been confirmed for the next update, that link @The | Suit is maintaining looks like the best!

14. Jerolaro

Thank you for the link and enthusiasm! I've updated the upcoming features page. I hope I did well.

15. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

16. warmainiac

warmainiac Void-Bound Voyager

i read on the wiki on the future updates page and i noticed that they were planning on adding an event system similar to terraria's if this is a 100% true fact is their going to be any crossovers?

17. Jerolaro

I can't guarantee a crossover or not. Both developer teams would need to agree to adding content for said crossover.
    What's for certain is that a dev said that there will be an events system. As for when, it is unclear.

18. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I've got issues with form creating. Florans in the Mist would be a good example. As soon as I edit the page's source, the Lore form it uses is removed entirely - and along with the form, the Data section is lost as well.

But when I do use the FormEdit, it also ruins the formatting. For example, while source editing allows me to do the following:
    Code:
    {{Lore|
    Text}}
    The form automatically turns it to:
    Code:
    {{Lore|Text}}
    This makes it impossible for me to space the contents away from the title, resulting in the whole thing getting meshed together.

19. Katzeus

Ah I see - I've updated the lore template to have hardcoded spacing there for either format - how's that look now?

20. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Somewhat weird. Hardcoded spacing also affects codexes where the author is stated within the contents, such us Hiraki's Guest in the Castle. Considering these, I wonder if the spacing isn't too large. That being said, it works well with say, Maku's Journal. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to.

That being said, I do like the title being larger than the contents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017