1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You can't really compare the performance between games as a tell of your computers capability. Starbound is not graphically demanding, but it is process heavy.

2. Slimonz

Slimonz Intergalactic Tourist

Actually seemed to have solved my problem - simply unticking Fullscreen brought me up to 60+fps!
    When fullscreen is ticked it goes to 20, when borderless windowed is ticked it goes to around 30.

3. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Is that why i have block placement lag?
    at an interval, i think at least every 15 seconds the game lags enough to make block placement stop if im running in a straight line placing blocks.
    I tried zooming in to x4 but it still does it anyways.

My CPU is FX-6300 stock speed.

4. lazarus78

Its a decent CPU. Nothing to write home about though. But also, there is a trend of performance issues on AMD based systems, so I wouldnt be surprised if your issue stems from that as well.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core

5. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

i feel like its because it only has 3 physical cores.
    Also my RAM is single channel 8GB DDR3 800mhz (description says its running at 1600 which it isnt)

6. lazarus78

Starbound is mostly single core, so that is really not an issue.

And the RAM speed is, while important, not really an issue here.

7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I don't understand why im getting the lag though. Do i need a new CPU? Is my clock speed it low?

8. lazarus78

As I said, there is a recurring issue that seems to effect mostly AMD based systems. What it is and how to resolve it is beyond me.

9. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I don't know if motherboards could play a factor.
    I know it isnt my GPU, i have an RX 480.

10. lazarus78

Anything could be a factor. However, there is nothing to indicate the motherboard would be the issue. But again, as I said, there is a recurring issues that seems to effect mostly only AMD based machines. It could very well be the case for you.

11. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Maybe, i hope getting a new motherboard and an Ryzen 1800X would potentially get rid of my lag.

12. azimoert

azimoert Big Damn Hero

OK now! After weeks of research, my smart friend just did this.
    Kill "opengl32.dll" if you did create it.
    Kill "D3Dcompiler_47.dll" from folder.
    (files contained in [...\Starbound\win64])
    The game will use D3D from your system folder and it will run well now.

All thanks to this person http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197985696451/

13. lazarus78

Source for this information necessary.

The game onlt uses OpenGL now, so you can't have it run with D3D...

14. leracos

leracos Subatomic Cosmonaut

You've said this at least 4 times now; source? I have a full AMD system and have experienced no problems until the 1.2 lag issues with NPCs on my ship began. If this is word for word the only response you are going to give the poor guy, I would love verification on such recurring issues.

15. lazarus78

there was a tweet by a dev before 1.3 that they were working on performance for AMD systems specifically. I don't have the source for that, however. Additionally, ice noticed the majority of people having issues, such as the black screen with the white box, are all AMD systems.

There hasn't been any official confirmation about this, but I am confidant in what I've seen.

As always, mileage may very, and not everyone will experience the issues. Personally I've never seen a lick of lag that was not easily explained by hardware deficiencies.

16. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Does Starbound use only 1 CPU thread? Why not go with 2 or 4?

17. lazarus78

It is multi-threaded in some areas. Parallel processing is not something you just DO, it needs to actually make sense.

IE, Solidworks 2016. That rather popular CAD program that sells for tens of thousands of dollars, is mostly single core because its calculations have to be done sequentially. <rant> I know this because I had to deal with an asshole who kept complaining about his drawing being super laggy, so I upgraded him to the best recommended CPU by Solidworks themselves, the 4790K, and it still lagged when he tried to make his models move. (It was a gear and chain assembly, rather complex, lots of physics and moving parts involved). Needless to say, I shut him up very quickly by providing factual evidence that no, he didn't need a new, $2000 graphics card. </rant>

Point being, Starbound is indeed multi-threaded, IIRC for AI and some other things, but the rest really cant be.

18. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

damn, so i do need better per core performance.

19. Riverl

Riverl Void-Bound Voyager

I just want to say that I tried this and it worked.
    At first I was skeptical, but the stuttering was so frustrating that I decided to give it a try. My rig is not top of the line but it's so over Starbound requirement that stuttering from just felling a tree is ridiculous.
    Of course I don't just 'kill' those files, but make a backup folder and put them in there.
    The game improved almost immediately.
    I'm fairly sure this will not work on everyone, but if everything else failed, give it a try. If it doesn't work, just restore the dlls from your backup folder.

P/S: a bit more extensive testing revealed that the issue is still not completely gone, even if the frequency of stuttering is much lower. Hmm...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  20. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Didn't work for me, but thanks for trying, which is more than the devs are doing.

Great job getting back to your problem experiencing customers, Chucklefish. :up: