1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Space Station Non-Uniformity, Please

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Knight9910, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Oh, hey, they finally released the new Starbound 1.3 update! Space stations, alright! This is gonna be sweet and will totally reinvigorate my interest in Starbound! I'm going to build the space station that I used to dream about as a kid, a collection of buildings spanning multiple asteroids and connected by glass tunnels. It's going to be so awesome!

...oh, I can't actually place the station in an asteroid field? That's lame... but I'm sure it'll still be cool. Hey, I can just do it myself! I'll collect asteroid rock and build my own -- oh, I can't place anything outside the walls?

Wait, I can't do ANYTHING with the walls. I can't even change the COLOR. I'm just stuck with this boring @#%$ing perfectly geometric grey-blue box bull@#%$ forever... WTF?!

This was literally my actual reaction to 1.3.

Yes indeed, all space stations in 1.3 Starbound are required to look exactly the same forever and ever.

Do you want an evil space lair with black and red and glowing spikes? Hmm, hmm, yeah, that'd be cool... but would you settle for geometric grey-blue boxes?

Do you want an asteroid colony? Yeah, me too. Here's some geometric grey-blue boxes.

Do you want to build the Death Star? Hope you can do it with GEOMETRIC @#%$ING GREY-BLUE BOXES!!!

It's like nobody told Chucklefish that the purpose of a sandbox building game is to... you know, let people build in a sandbox.

I mean, I'm not even sure what else to say. Normally I would make this big post with suggestions for how it should be, but I don't even want to. I shouldn't NEED to. I'm not even sure what was going through Chucklefish' heads with this one. Seriously, WTF.

Give us creative control, Chucklefish! That is literally the ENTIRE reason why we play your game! Let us do our own thing! Let me put spikes on my space lair! Let me have asteroids! Let me paint the damn walls! Seriously, at LEAST let me paint the damn WALLS! COME ON!!!

Just let me have SOMETHING!

And don't even say "oh, but you can put whatever you want inside the boxes!" SO THE @#%$ WHAT? Let me have creative control! Not half creative control. Not sorta creative control. LET ME BUILD WHAT I WANT. Why is this difficult?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    qualiyah, Rookas, xaliber and 3 others like this.
  2. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Block are paintable , removable and placeable with the tile protection command (no legit but vanilla)

Also we have mods (UnlockedStation for example)

And you dont know how it will evolve in the future.

3. Knight9910

I'm definitely gonna look this mod up... just as soon as Steam Community stops being down.

I never said I did. The point of this post isn't "Starbound sucks forever, let's guillotine the devs." The point of this post is "please change this."

xaliber likes this.
  4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Can I help you?

shameless_selfpromotion.htm

5. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

yes but reading your post you seemed rather upset

krylo likes this.
  6. Knight9910

Of course I'm upset.

I'm upset because the devs made a stupid-ass decision that boggles belief.

That doesn't mean I think the game is ruined forever, or that the devs are evil lizard people from Mars out to get me, or that I want to bomb the universe as revenge against those insolent rats who dared defy my greatness.

It just means that I'm upset at the current state of things, and I want the devs to know it so they can fix their broken shit.

You need to be able to think on a complex level, and see past the false dichotomy where everyone is either happy-go-lucky forever, or murder-happy maniac. Believe it or not it is possible to be legitimately upset without wanting everyone to drown in their own blood.

xaliber and MysticMalevolence like this.
  7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Except... nothing is broken... Just saying.

8. NovaJ

NovaJ Sandwich Man

I think your over exaggerating its not bad plus it make the stations look clean and take the long days of labor away Also it would hard to code a space station in asteroid field because it wpuld have to clear space then what if you dont like your position just turn protection off and stop whining at least we got an update

9. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

I getcha, I understand the issue. It had me scratching my head thinking "Then what did I collect all these different hull blocks for?"
    They seem perfect for building things in space, but only with a station transponder can you get a space structure with gravity.
    That or fill it with water. I think I might try an aquatic station...

Being unable to build outside the station is silly! Being unable to break station blocks makes sense, though. Unable to PAINT them? That's really ridiculous to me. Them's the breaks I guess.

If you'd rather not mod it and you don't want to fiddle with non-legit methods, feel free to build a liquid-filled space structure as a compromise for now!

10. LittleWasp

LittleWasp Big Damn Hero

I too was disappointed that I couldn't make my space station out of scrap metal and sewage. My Dunny Star shall never be complete.

11. Knight9910

I ended up using console commands to turn off tile protection. It is a bit fiddly as you have to go back into admin mode and re-do it for each section... but it got the job done eventually and now I have my asteroid base. :p

I'm just not sure what the developers were thinking... it's like, you give us a sandbox building game where the entire point is to make whatever we want, and then impose arbitrary restrictions on it. That's like inventing a card game where the players is forced to use dice instead of cards; it might still be fun, but it's not what we were promised... and it's not the first time they've half-arsed their way through some mindbogglingly boneheaded decisions either. (For example, the story, though I could go into entire conspiracy theories about why that happened...)

12. lazarus78

Presets are not really anti-sandbox. Sandbox doesn't mean "complete free reign" either. Sure the current system is a bit restrictive, which I think could be resolved by having different material type station sections and allowing them to be recolored...

I am actually very happy about the station system, because if it can be modified, then it could make doing large customizable structures a breeze for the less aesthetically inclined, and maybe even ships.

And Magic The Gathering has some cards that require dice. Just saying.

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure the station system was meant for people who AREN'T super-involved builders who are going to want to change up the walls and personally carefully choose every block like I do no that block isn't right I will spend half an hour on this one room trying various paint and block combos to get the exact look I have in my head it isn't perfect yet aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I mean the thing is designed to drop huge pre-made chunks. That feels way less "build your own" than the entire rest of the game.

That said, the Stations do feature some elements that probably SHOULDN'T be Station-exclusive so players who are into micromanaging their builds can make effective space stations block-by-block. Gravity fields and Mech Assembly stations should be things we can put wherever we like once we unlock them (via obtaining a Station most likely).

But I suppose that's what you're gonna get on a first-draft of a majorish gameplay concept, because well that's how all the other gameplay concepts kinda went.

krylo and STCW262 like this.
  14. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Yeah, I fully expect this to be refined as time goes on.

But in the interim...
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=957141435

15. Knight9910

16. McDoomington

McDoomington Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd really like to at least have the ability to choose which station I get at least, some of the old ship mods were space stations and I'd like to see those used.

17. Namtazar

Namtazar Subatomic Cosmonaut

Do you mind if i just drop it here? In short terms - you don't need any mods and admin command really. Just start to place some blocks outside any of station doors..

18. lazarus78

That doesnt work anymore. It was fixed in 1.3.1

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

"But I suppose that's what you're gonna get on a first-draft of a majorish gameplay concept, because well that's how all the other gameplay concepts kinda went."

20. Knight9910

And that right there is basically my entire problem with Starbound in a nutshell: it's a first draft posing as a finished product. It needs lots more fine-tuning and polish.