1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What does Starbound food taste like?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Solar Ace, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, so i know how most of the food tastes (apples, corn, carrots, etc.) but i mean some of the alien foods. Automato, Beakseed, and Pearlpeas would be some examples. I already have an idea of how a few would taste:

Neonmelon - Sour Watermelon
    Avesmingo - various flavors (spicy mango?)
    Pussplum - plum-like?
    Eggshoot - egg like but kinda herby

I'm asking because i want to make real food based off of food from the game. Anyone have any ideas

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Hmm, I wonder what Bananas could taste like.

On a serious note:
    • Diodia has a metallic coppery taste to it, so it might taste a little bit like blood.
    • Dirturchin is possibly even more gross, it's described as squidgy and sorta tasteless. Imagine if soggy bread tasted how it looks.
    • I think Feathercrown and Beakseed probably taste like nuts.
    • Neonmelons are described as tasting like bubblegum.
    • Pussplum has a creamy center, but the rest of it isn't described so it might be a bit like a bland apple?
    • Reefpod "tastes like a crunchy smoothie with added seawater" which I guess might not be that bad. A bit salty for sure.
    • Wartweed is a hardy vegetable that can grow almost anywhere, so I'd be willing to bet it doesn't taste that great. It's coarse and full of seeds.
    • Oculemons are sour, they're really just big lemons that look like eyes.
    • Reefpod Juice is sweet and a tiny bit salty. Maybe like blueberries, but with a salty taste because they grow in the ocean?
    • I think Pearlpeas might be the worse Avian crop. Bland when boiled, tastes like mushy peas when baked, and it's wrapped in wartweed skins to make it more palatable.
    • A stuffed automato tastes like a real stuffed tomato, except for being as hard as metal.
    • Eggshoot is often used as a substitute for eggs, and the raw fruit has the texture of a boiled egg.

• This recipe deserves it's own line: Dirturchin stuffed with cooked pearlpeas. Who would do such a thing?

STCW262 likes this.
  3. Solar Ace

i see. i'm thinking that thorn fruit is similar to prickly pear. Feather crown seems to be spicy because it is used in desert salsa and spicy feather crown but i may be wrong. Feathercrowns grow similarly to carrots however so it's probably a veggie. Boneboo seems to be an apple but it grows on a vine like grapes. Toxic top and wartweed grow from the ground meaning they are veggies. Alien fruit is a tree fruit and is stated to be juicy but it shares no recipes with other foods so it's flavor probably can't be determined.

4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Yeah, thorn fruit is most likely similar to a cactus.

Spicy feather crown is spicy because it's a combination of chili and feathercrown, and not all salsa is spicy. In fact, Desert Salsa is described as "refreshing". Considering it's used in eggshoot salad, I think I might agree that it's like a carrot.

Yes, boneboos are very similar to apples. I can't find any information on what they taste like, but apparently they're rich in calcium. doot

I also can't find information on what toxictops taste like. Alien fruit is sweet though, or at least the juice is.

5. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

What I like to think

• Oculemon: Sour. Apparently the iris is the best part, maybe it's sweeter ?
    • Pussplum: Gross. I'd imagine the exterior being kind of fleshy, seeing where it comes from. Dunno about the interior
    • Boneboo: Tastes like marrow
    • Toxictops: Tastes like a mix of beetroot and hemlock root
    • Alien fruit: Probably excessively juicy, and maybe somewhat similar to persimmon ?
    • Eggshoot: Boiled egg
    • Feathercrown: Sort of like almond
    • Beakseed: Probably like sunflower seeds, but sweet
    • Dirturchin: Tastes like soggy grass
    • Wartweed: Tastes like seedy, coarse grass
    • Pearlpeas: Chickpeas and broken teeth
    • Thorn fruit: Cactus
    • Neonmelon: Tastes like bubblegum (I want that so much)
    • Automato: Like iron, with an aftertaste of tomatoes ? (and broken teeth)
    • Dioda: Copper
    • Currentcorn: Acid, pain, and never singing again
    • Avesmingo: A lot of things at once
    • Coralcreep: Like seafood ?
    • Reefpods: No idea, except it's a bit salty
    • Banana: Like a boiled carrot ?
    • Cyanider: All bets are off

6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

• Pussplums are already established to have a creamy center. Might not be that bad, except for the name.
    • Coralcreep is used to make Seafood Gratin, and seems to be the main ingredient. It seems to me like it's a vegetarian alternative to fish.
    • Reefpod juice is sweet.
    • Who knows what a banana might taste like? It's too bad that I can't find anything at all describing it!

Blevruz likes this.
  7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Wattabout avesmingo?

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

image description of the Neon melon

A slice of bubblegum flavoured neonmelon

looks like mango, probably tastes like mango :p

9. Solar Ace

Avesmingo is said to have many different flavours.

10. Qtw

Qtw Phantasmal Quasar

i think the food tastes like...food. tasty food.

11. SioxGWolf

SioxGWolf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can someone please every food discussed so we can compress it into a manageable list, and if there is anything missing, please feel free to include a comment on it or add it yourself. I would but I am lazy.

12. MMDMK5

MMDMK5 Orbital Explorer

Hello everyone, I have been watching this post for a while, I would like to present you with my (most likely) theories and facts. This info was gathered over long periods of time to ensure multiple points of view. The conclusion of my short study is:

Automato, a very plain, solid a tomato that tastes like lead : wattage pottage features currentcorn which is acidic, to make a charge. Therefore this must be lead or some other cathode.

Avesmingo tastes different all the time, it looks like a mango. For example of the taste, it could be different each time you taste it, it could be like “Wanka’s all flavoured gum” - slowly cycling through all flavours, or - the most likely theory - that different parts of the Avesmingo have different tastes. Either way my favourite theory is the first one - hehe, imagine earwax flavour. Avesmingo also enhances tastes like the spice in volcanic salsa.

Beakseed would taste like sunflower seeds, something commonly found eaten across the world - and in bread. Probably sweet or salty as regular sunflower seeds don’t taste as good - the description stating they are delicious: “Mmm”. And not to forget description for foods made from Beakseed suggests that it is a sweeter yet plain tasting seed, like the cereal and jam.

Bolt bulb, metallic, probably tastes like softened discharged lithium due to being included in pizzap which requires both a anode and a cathode charge to make the “zzap” make sense. Lithium would make sense, as my previous theory suggests that automato is a cathode.

Boneboo, a sweetness in the the hot and Spicy foods, it’s similar to whatever ingredient they use in sweet and spicy foods found in the real world. This is due to the official description in foods it is used in.

Coralcreep, tastes like kelp with a fish creature texture to it. Gathered from other foods it is used in.

Currentcorn, tastes like metal with juicy acid inside.

Diode tastes like a soft coppery potato, a cathode in most of the foods.

Dirt urchin is pretty tasteless, like de-ionised water, and very squidgy like kelp or an eyeball.

Eggshoot, a very sweet raw egg flavour with a rough or textured skin/surface of the plant. Inference: eggshoot icecream. It just makes sense. Don’t put plain vegetables like peas in icecream, it not work like that.

Feathercrown looks like fruit. It is likely a desert fruit because I keep finding them there. “Must be plucked before consumed” could be an indication of natural poison. Those facts narrow it down. My final assessment is that it would be the alien equivalent to a cherry or an apple.

Neonmelon, tastes like bubblegum. That’s a fact.

Oculemon, basically a watermelon sized lemon with a very eyeball-like seed inside. The fact that we don’t get lemonade in starbound suggests that oculemons are preferred over regular lemons - “Sour but so worth it”.

Pearlpeas, alien peas; slightly harder than earth peas and different coloured but still the same taste as a regular pea. Making it into a jam suggests that it is much sweeter than an earth “sweet pea”, who would put a plain vegetable into something sweet like jam? Therefore pearlpeas are like earth peas but way sweeter.

Pussplums are just creamy plums. We don’t talk about what the surface would taste like or how we know what it probably does taste like anymore, the probable surface or “skin” taste remains a secret between friends and myself. Just note that the description was once something like “cream oozes from” to “something here that oozes”, however I see no history remaining on starbounder.org. Idk, I need to find old source.

Reefpod, sweet and salty. Not very salty - enough so that it is still refreshing rather than “puckeringly salty”. If anyone has heard of kirala aka “mangrove apple”- I heard that has a salty taste to it - that is what it would be like, however I hear that depending on where it is grown (kirala fruit) that taste ranges from salty to sour. Also worth mentioning the “expecting” part of the description for reefpod suprise, evidence that the taste can be sour.

Toxictop, very sweet yet slightly poisonous. People probably wouldn’t know they are being poisoned by toxictop as it is found in vending machines as a jam on a doughnut. My evidence for sweet is, and always will be, the jam and other confectionery associated with the toxictop.

Wartweed, not the best of tastes, made into jam it will leave your mouth slightly dry. It is sweet (but probably sweeter) like the pearlpea and hearty - like a kidney bean that tastes like a jellybean - yet the wartweed is best described as a “warty” texture/taste, probably some seedy weird taste on top of the sweetness too, but not too bad tasting, yet not the best.

Alien fruit, very sweet, very juicy. It’s has a very “pleasant” taste and the fruit itself probably acts as a sac or container full of liquid, like a coconut. It also makes jam more sticky - if that makes sense (imagine pen ink on blue tack and compare it to adding something in jam with a similar effect, idk, best way I have described it).

Thorn fruit, basically a prickly pear. It is described as delicious, so I would assume that it is in fact an alien prickly pear.

That concludes my list of starbound foods. Please note that this was debated upon for a long time now (a year now) and has finally come to an agreement on each of the foods. Your welcome, please correct my mistakes if I so made them. Sorry for the long message too!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022