1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A space combat technique you've likely overlooked...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jun 18, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

upload_2017-6-17_21-24-50.png

Sure it doesn't work in open space, but if you see something lurking near a block-based structure?

kittentamer and STCW262 like this.
  2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

And here's THE safest way to deal with Omnicannons...

omnicannon unattached.png
    Omnicannons can't change their original targeting range, so removing the blocks they're attached to gives you a clean safe place to attack them directly they can't aim at. Saly, this doesn't work on Twiguns, which have a full 360-degree field of fire.

kittentamer and STCW262 like this.
  3. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know how you did this, though. Heavy drones and such usually notice me from half of the galaxy away :v

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The Heavy Drone and... thingie were lurking on the opposite side of the wall from the direction I was coming. Enemies need line-of-sight to activate. So I started the "cage" while still on the left side of the wall, and slowly worked my way around, always staying behind cover.

Of course, now I just tackle Heavy Drones head on. That mining laser is pretty great, and reckless combat fits my character's style.

5. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Wanna be OP in space? Just use two swarm drone arms. Release them in a slightly delayed 1-2 sequence. They literally form 10 mini drones around your mech creating a barrier that shoots lasers around you. The hit box is so thorough that enemy shots and often dashing mobs cannot touch you until at least one of the drones is destroyed.

I can literally take on waves and waves of enemies with this technique. The key is to move very little as it makes all 10 swarm drones more accurate and enemies move less because you aren't moving you and they aren't chasing. I'll post a screen capture soon. This technique is of course useless to newbies who haven't unlocked that part.

This was after fighting a large swarm of enemies on a max tier anomaly:

upload_2017-6-19_17-32-54.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I just exit at a corner and use homing and guided missiles vs anything thats an immobile cannon.