1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious question/thought about the new block types in 1.3

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shadowpup23, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Virdex_

Virdex_ Void-Bound Voyager

Oh I see, thanks

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

np! I don't blame players for assuming something as awesome as mechs would be difficult, hard to obtain, or something you only do at endgame.

I, too, was surprised at how early and easily you get your first mech as it is a lot of utility just handed to you. But I ain't complainin'!

Also, mechs are ludicrously powerful. If there's bandit camps or something near your beam-down location... you can beam down to a planet with your mech and just roflstomp it. Even the starting mech can make short work of Tier 6 NPCs.

3. Virdex_

Yes! Their only downside is that they need fuel/energy/whateveritis to work, but it's worth it! Even digging is fun with them
    We're going off topic :p

4. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

The two sloped blocks I really wish were in the game are wood and glass. Some type of stone or brickwork would probably be good too.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Give them time, I'm sure with enough requests they'll add that functionality to more blocks.

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I kind of wish we'd get some sloped wall panel blocks. Those things are so nice and neutral, they're my primary building material for everything. And as for blocks we don't have at all yet, I'm pretty sure some sort of carpet material would work great as a sloped block.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I dunno, Hull Panel + those panels on your ship look rather good together.

[​IMG]

Now, mind you, this is the modified Felin version of the Wall Panel, but I think the regular one would look decent too.

Now someday I need to put actual details in the background wall, pipes, etc... but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Also thinking that Tungsten Platforms might look better than Silver ones.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I just don't like the blue color. It clashes. Although hull panels look okay painted white, but they still don't mesh perfectly with wall panels, which is a shame because I'd like sloped ones so I could make the stairs on one of my projects into a ramp.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Why not mod your own?

Shouldn't be too difficult to unpack the assets, grab the .pngs, and then use windows paint to change the color to whatever you desire and then add em in your own mod.

EDIT: Obviously you'd need to copy and rename the files etc, but still. Not hard.

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It's a lot of work figuring out what the hell each part of the sloped panel sprites are actually supposed to be. But I was planning to give it a try anyway.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

experiment, use mod folders and build a small structure, see what it looks like. close game, modify the files, load game back up etc until you figure it out.

12. shadowpup23

shadowpup23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with that one 100% Sloped wood, glass, and brick would bring about so many cool building possibilities.

13. shadowpup23

14. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I've see that too but i didnt said anything because it dont seem to be for sloped block , for "hull" and "panel" yes , but still square shaped block , no ?

15. shadowpup23

Only sloped block i could see in it was the sloped glass, but on steam the mod author said they want to convert some blocks to be sloped as well.

"So... I think I'm going to have to convert some tiles to a slopped configuration. Because I can.

Not the vanilla configuration though. I have my own I think works better when paired with non-slopped materials."

So it leaves some hope at least! We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not so sure what the second part means though.
    also I'm so happy to see this thread being so active. I wasn't sure how well it would have went being my first one haha :D

16. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Ok , for the second part he mean make slopable block but with a different ID of vanilla block , it mean if he make a slopable wood block , it will make an additional block instead of make the vanilla wood block slopable.

17. Virdex_

uhm... are you sure? I think he means that he wants to make slopped blocks look better (graphically) when used near slopped blocks in a building. But that is just my guess...

18. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Idk but that i've understood

19. Falkenhayn

Falkenhayn All Chuck Norris backward gets you is Sirron Kcuhc

We definitely need an update or a mod that introduces the slope system with a certain tool, taking Terraria's hammers as an example, that allows you to modify the angle of the block. This would allow for a lot more building potential, and a way to give people an incentive to build now that they have more freedom with blocks.

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I doubt such a tool would be possible without a major engine change given the way Starbound's blocks work, and I highly doubt such a change will occur post-1.0.

Virdex_ and Shadox2.0 like this.