Modding Help Where I went wrong?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ace1362, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ace1362

Ace1362 Void-Bound Voyager

Could someone look this over I'm a first timer and did this based off a tutorial and I can't figure out how it went wrong...

Attached Files:

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

First, your player.config needs to be named player.config.patch
    Second, the patch should look like this...
    [
    {"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "voidpickaxe" }}
    ]

Yours was missing the opening and closing []. And used a different method, which may have been ok, i don't know. But I always use this way.

Third, your item was named pickaxe, but your recipe and player.config.patch both call for voidpickaxe.

Once I made all those changes, it loaded fine for me.

Here is the fixed version for you to look at.

Attached Files:

bk3k likes this.
  3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Oh my... whatever tutorial you found is... positively ancient.

Look at the tutorials present in this forum. Also look at different mods and see what we do. Compare to vanilla assets.

4. Ace1362

Thanks for the help, I play with alot of modders who really just keep deferring me back here even tho they all help eachother

5. Ace1362

Ok I tried again got the pickaxe working and decided to try and make a op armor cause I don't like the looks of the one I have from a friend, and I messed that one up b ut it does get all the way to character select before crashing so I'm improving..... I think

Attached Files:

6. Diegox64

Diegox64 Void-Bound Voyager

please put your starbound log file

7. Ace1362

Attached Files:

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

We need the starbound.log, NOT the ones ending in n umbers.

Also... are you attempting to test your mods on a server? You REALLY shouldnt do that.

And further, your mod folder is terribly set up. You have your armor in the root items folder.

And another note... your armor ID is... not good. "wildestyletop.chest" you don't need the extension in the ID.

I strongly suggest you go through this: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook-2-0.2930/

9. projectmayhem

"itemName" : "wildestyletop.chest"

The itemName is what your items actual name is. Is what is used by other files and /spawnitem command. Since your player.config.patch and recipe call for this....

{"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "wildestyletop" }}

and this..

{
    "input" : [
    { "item" : "fabric", "count" : 20 }
    ],
    "output" : {
    "item" : "wildestyletop",
    "count" : 1
    },
    "groups" : [ "plain", "all" ]
    }

You want to rename your itemName to "itemName" : "wildestyletop"

that should help it load, I don't notice any other errors just by looking. If that doesn't fix it, let me know and I'll actually load it.

And, like he said above... try to keep your file system as similar to the vanilla assets as possible. That means instead of having your armor in an items folder, you need to have it in items/armors/wildestyle

10. Ace1362

yea I've bene going off the one tutorial i could find that actually seemed to work which was yea 2 years old apparently and patchy... I mean people have been quite helpful or just say go find a tutorial though alot of people have pointed me to ones that were years old, thank you for the info everyone and I didn't intentionally add the .chest to it that i'm aware of I think its just got caught in a bad copy/past situation

11. projectmayhem

Yeah, the tutorial situation can be rough. I followed a lot of outdated ones, then when the mod wouldn't work, I'd download a mod and look at how they done it. When you have issues, keep on asking, from my experience everyone on here is extremely nice and helpful. Bk3k has answered a ton of my questions, he's really good about pointing out specific code bits from the vanilla files that help you understand what your doing wrong.

I have a guide here for armor and clothing.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/custom-armor-clothing-v1-2-3.132181/

If you run into anything else and can't find a good tutorial for, let me know. I been trying to write updated tutorials for things I learn if I couldn't find one.

Here is the tutorial master list in case you didnt see it

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/starbound-modding.111/?prefix_id=52