Armor Offset for Custom Races

Discussion in 'Other' started by Chipppy, May 15, 2017.

1. Chipppy

Chipppy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to make a few custom races that don't use the simple humanoid shape. I noticed in a few .config files there were some values like...
    "headArmorOffset" : [600, 500],
    "chestArmorOffset" : [0, -2],
    "backArmorOffset" : [-6, -2],
    "legsArmorOffset" : [0, -12],
    They don't seem to do anything. Every NPC and species with these values seems to have the same values as well.
    I'd like to see these implemented, or maybe they do do something and not the thing I'm looking for.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

3. Chipppy

Hmm! Thank you DraikNova, I must read up on this...

4. Chipppy

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Did you make sure to add the override so your species actually uses the custom file? And those values you were initially trying to edit indeed do nothing. However, the same functionality is achieved the code for actual arm placement like
    frontArmRotationCenter

6. Chipppy

Yep yep, the first thing I did was just use the Penguin's stuff or Nuru's stuff.
    The result was upon loading up, my character to run really fast.
    I think I'm still figuring it out because also my character phases through the floor a bit, so I'm using the peguinoid for testing.

These 4 values, the ones I need do nothing. Try it out yourself!

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ah, I think I understand what you want to do. Yeah, if you want to make armor have different arm rotation spots than the naked members of a species, that won't work, but perhaps some sort of advanced tech or vehicle mod might be able to do something like that.

8. Chipppy

No, not arm rotation spots. I need the Offsets.

In my particular example I have a race that's just a bit taller than the base humanoid races.
    It would be nice to just set the head offset to something like [6,0] and have all head armor just adjust themselves. I've already accepted I can't get chests and pants to look right on alien bodies.

but "headArmorOffset" Doesn't do anything in the config, nor do any of the other offsets for armor. They appear unimplemented. I tried applying a copy pasted config to my race and what happened was they started to run really fast and they phased through the floor a bit. I know that the collision box and movement speeds were altered so i know those work

I set "Headarmoroffset" to that ridiculous [600, 500] to see if that worked, and it didn't sadly.

If we had just Head Armor and Back Armor offsets working, I know it would make a loot of mod makers very happy.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ah, now I get it. Yeah, that would be nice to have. The closest you can get to doing that is copy-pasting the head armor images and editing them to make each one of them higher.