Modding Discussion Looking for Help on a Race Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by momotech764, May 5, 2017.

1. momotech764

momotech764 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm planning on starting the creation of a race mod using Skittles' Race Mod Template.
    It's going to be kind of like the Glitch, but something along the lines of a more primitive version. I can't draw far too well, so I'll need some help with that. I have a friend who can, and will soon join the project, hopefully. It'd also be nice to have some more people working on lore, and maybe even some research, so if you like doing either of those, I'd be happy to let you help.
    I've started a Discord server for the project, so feel free to join with that link right there, and DM the owner (me, Momotech764) what you want to do, and I'll refer you to the manager of whatever department you want to be in. Keep in mind that if you are below Peasant rank, you cannot use the server, so you'll have to D.M. me to be ranked up to Peasant.

2. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Hi. (Reply might be a bit long.. so bare with me a bit while I explain some things)

Would just like to mention, your mileage with forming a team may vary. Usually, most race modders are usually busy working on their own projects (I'm immersed in the PenguinPiracyMod thing I've been doing.)

You might get some advice, maybe. But someone with a strength in modding, just sitting around without any projects? I'm not too sure... (If you do get some? Great!)

If you're really planning on going the full mile with a race mod, just remember that you'll be considering stuff like:

-The spritework for the race (like you mentioned)
    -A custom, unique ship pet
    -Custom SAIL* (Depends on whether you want to fork from the standard SAIL form, or want to go with something unique, like the old SAILs from the beta)
    -A custom ship
    -tiered racial armor
    -villagers/villages (Which, by extensions, means you will also need to make custom "dungeons", to make the towns/whereever your villagers will live.)
    -tenants
    -crewmembers
    -furniture sets and objects themed to your race
    -items (Possibly custom food tied to your race, unique weapons, etc)
    -lore
    -Possibly some other stuff not coming to mind right now.

A race mod is more than just a "Hey. Look at this human reskin I made!". That's an important thing to remember. A race mod, at it's core, is more of a content mod, that you can actually actively take part in.

I would consider unpacking Starbound's assets, and looking around in there. (Assuming you haven't already) You might be able to pull some stuff from there to tweak, or get some ideas.

momotech764 likes this.
  3. momotech764

I definitely agree, and I know that there's a lot of work to do.

Luckily for me, the style that I have in mind is pretty close to that of the Glitch, with some Hylotl visual flairs added in, giving them a sort of knight-samurai fusion in all the things they make.
    I'm putting off figuring out how I'll do the ship pet, settlements, and racial items. Of course, the ship pet is less important, as it provides no purpose and the Null probably wouldn't have pets anyways, based on what I've established so far.

I was actually working on lore with one of my team members as you sent this , and part of their lore is that they don't have any coherent culture, as they're incapable of verbal language, and they aren't complex enough to perform sign language. Thus, they rely on written language, body language, and gestures. They are capable of creating a grinding sound to intimidate others, like a dog growling, which indicates anger.

They're good at engineering, strategy, and all other forms of logical thinking, but they have a hard time conveying strategy in the midst of battle, thus being poor offensively. However, they are much more effective on their own than some other races, and they're able to defend their settlements- mostly placed on desert planets, partially to be close to their allies, the Glitch, and partially to avoid having to take over, since most races avoid desert planets- very effectively.

4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Hoverbikes are a nice addition also to species mods.

5. momotech764

Also, I've already gotten a few friends of mine involved with the project, so I have all the things I need.

6. momotech764

Wait, there are racial hoverbikes?

7. projectmayhem

Not in vanilla, but I've seen some mods, like the Irken Race Mod that have custom hoverbikes. My Star Wars mod has Landspeeders and Swoops.

8. momotech764

Not in vanilla, but I've seen some mods, like the Irken Race Mod that have custom hoverbikes. My Star Wars mod has Landspeeders and Swoops.
    Oh, okay. This mod is mostly a side project of mine, it'll be done when I feel like finishing it. I'm not planning on going all-out like the Elithian Races mod, but I do hope to atleast find a way to create racial armor and items.

9. projectmayhem

Not too hard, as far as I feel, the hardest part is the art lol. I'm so horrible even at pixel art.

10. momotech764

Yeah, I just finally got my artist friend into the Discord.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Huh. For me it's the opposite. Pixelart is relaxing and easy to do. I think I've been getting reasonably good at it by now, too, so if you guys want me to make some sprites, feel free to ask.

12. projectmayhem

I'm doing a Star Wars Community Mod, taking submissions from the community, if you want to do any art for that, feel free. Or if you see any of my horrible art and want to make it better, feel free lol

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Here's a little Wol Cabbashite I made in about 10 minutes.
    Wol Cabbashite large.png
    For reference, I know next to nothing about Star Wars aside from pop cultural osmosis.

EDIT: Here's a Hoover I made. This time I spent some effort on giving it perspective. I have no idea why it looks so forlorn though.
    Hoover recolored large.png

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    projectmayhem likes this.
  14. momotech764

we could use someone with pixel art skill, if you want to help make the mod feel free to do so

15. projectmayhem

Thank you for these, I'll try to add them as pets or something as soon as I can :)