Modding Discussion mod request

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jilly Bob the Third, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

I want a mod that adds programmable computers(programmed in lua) to control circuits, they have a screen(for displaying graphics and text) and keyboard, 12 inputs and 12 outputs and can wirelessely send and receive stuff to other computers, installing apis to it should be possible

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you already know Lua, then you are easily capable of modding starbounds, so you could make your own mod of controllers to do things that you want.

3. Jilly Bob the Third

I don't know how to mod starbound, I don't understand all the json parameters, what files need to be included etc, and before I go through the trouble of making a mod, I need to check if it doesn't already exist.

And I'm not going to be intel, they did similar at start, a controller for individual applications, they got sick of it so they made the 4004, the first microprocessor ever made.

4. lazarus78

5. Jilly Bob the Third

ok, thanks.

but I'm asking, does it exist, not please tell me to make it myself.

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

7. Jilly Bob the Third

installing and testing

8. Jilly Bob the Third

do I have to pack it?
    I did the instructions, and put the mod into the /mods folder, but it doesn't show it in the mods list!

9. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You do not need to pack a mod to work. I happen to hate pak files(and would feel different if they where non-proprietary).

Just put the folder containing the mod (with _metadata in this folder) in \starbound\mods\

10. Jilly Bob the Third

it installed now testing...

what am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. Jilly Bob the Third

thank you for your help but it freezes the game up when I open a monitor, I will not use it for now, but will keep an eye out for updates

12. Jilly Bob the Third

except me, I was born a coder, It took me 2 years to master python enough to write my own programming language, and write a text adventure equivalent of no mans sky

13. lazarus78

So you popped out of the womb coding already?

That is beside the point. Your claim was that you didn't know how to work with JSON, and the fact is, we all started off not knowing how to do basically anything and had to learn. You knowing Lua already is a huge step up over most people modding, so learning JSON will be trivial for you because it isn't actual coding, just a config. Basically like an ini file.

14. Jilly Bob the Third

I wrote a chatbot in python that used json to store its knowledge, I understand Json, just not starbound Json

15. lazarus78

Its all the same. You just need to familiarize yourself with Starbound's by tinkering with it.

16. Jilly Bob the Third

I know