Modding Discussion [No longer Taking Requests] Making Custom Lightsabers for a Limited time

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zanderfel, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

it is these things that make your mod more lovable - especially the faucet sound - would have never known this!!!
    ok, maybe not that blaster sound, but hear this one: - Han Solo's blaster at about 0.42. But I will hold my peace. Weird enough that I never heard that myself, when playing J.A. back in the day!
    Looking forward seeing your next showcasing!

2. fluffyfloran

fluffyfloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :happylittletrees:

3. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

here is what i got so far hilt gif_idle.gif hilt gif_open.gif

4. fluffyfloran

That looks rather interesting, I just have a quick question. When you upgrade it, is it possible to make the dragon a more prominent part of the design? (ie. make the dragon head bigger when upgraded) I love the animation btw, the opening of the mouth is extremely satisfying, it's also neat how the vines curl kind of when the mouth opens. Also, just curious which part were you having trouble with when it came to animation and such.

5. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

yeah I'll figure something out that is unique for the upgrade like i did for imhereforthemods :)

as far as the trouble I'm having is putting this animation into the game the way I want it, the hilt and skull need to be seperate from each other to achieve what I want to do with the upgrade...

if you notice that skull came from the Dragonhead Pistol, I just modified it to work with this hilt

fluffyfloran likes this.
  6. fluffyfloran

Ok I understand, nice touch on using the dragon head from the pistol, that makes it easier on your part, plus, it looks cool. Do whatever you think will work best and I'm sure it will turn out good. If you can manage to add more petals on the upgrade that would be nice but if not, don't worry about it. :)

7. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just want to say, the way the dragon opens its mouth is just so satisfying. Looks very organic, as if it's living!

What's your plan on releasing all the lightsabers, @Zanderfel? Will it be a "Lightsaber Pack" weapon mod? I didn't request the Floran Saber and Avian Saber but they just look so good.

8. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

I will release the finished lightsabers to each requester individually.... from there it is their decision to release them to anyone they please, I have already released the Avian sabers to imhereforthemods.

with that said... I will always keep the originals in case of file loss or something, that way I will always be able to redistribute as necessary.... or if I make a tweak here and there

now if a pack of sabers is something that is really wanted and the requesters are fine with this, then I will be ok with doing it that way instead.

ImHereForTheMods likes this.
  9. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see. I, for one, would really love seeing a lightsaber pack. :)

Daldril likes this.
  10. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

totally with you - would be lovely to see a modpack with all the wonderful creations here!

11. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

i have the green light for distribution of avian sabers so ill make a pack so everyone can use!

ImHereForTheMods, Daldril and xaliber like this.
  12. fluffyfloran

How's it going? This thread has been relatively quiet for the past few days. Just wanted to see how it was going.

13. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

it has been a nightmare to get it the way i want it...other than that ive been working extra hours and ive got two family members dealing with cancer so ive had to apply time to them...but im still working on the saber just alot slower then I expected

14. fluffyfloran

Oh that must be very rough for you, don't worry about the light sabers because family comes first before all else, even if you have to put the light sabers on hold, your family needs you most and vice versa with you. I hope things go well and they are able to recover soon. Stay in there buddy!

Zanderfel likes this.
  15. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

Thank you for understanding! but here is an short update video showing the finished extend and retraction animations and the custom sounds that have been made everything else is still WIP

16. MeKa6600

MeKa6600 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahem........, I'll try to not be a useless person right here.........
    I have an example of code for alt-ability like "Mid-air teleportation slash" (Credit for the dude who made this is in that link)
    Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/64cjt1/custom_weapon_aero_katana/

Right there.......I hope you can modified the code in that link.........

Edit: Hope your family get well soon :3
    I'll see you again....., My friend........

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  17. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

Wow that looks really amazing, love the animation as the blade retracts.

Also, sorry to hear about your family there... certainly do hope they get well, and agree with fluffyfloran, family comes first.
    I'm sure anybody with half a heart could understand. =)
    It's awfully nice of you to take your time to do this, even with such problems going on.

Zanderfel likes this.
  18. MeKa6600

MeKa6600 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with this pigeon right here, Family always come first.
    My mom, my dad.......even though he killed himself (I'm sorry dad, Why am I say that thing to you......), My grandma, and My aunt.........
    Well.........I hope your family get well soon..., And remember........DON'T GIVE UP.............

Zanderfel likes this.
  19. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

Thanks to all for the kind words...it means alot that everyone is so understanding :)

also I will throw this out there because I think it should be known, I have battled everyday and for the last 20 years with crippling depression I am on 4 different medications to "soften the blow" so to speak, so of course this also hinders progress too unfortunately and for this I'm sorry....I also never expected such a positive reaction to the sprites and animations I have made thus far, to be honest everyone that is close to me rejects and belittles me quite alot...except for my wife and I love her but it hurts me to put her through this back and forth from misery to "happy" and I use the word lightly. But yeah I just expect negative responses most of the time, so this it is nice to have some positive in my life...so again thank you all for that.

Rest assured though I will still put any and all effort into all the weapons and make them as amazing as I can :)

MeKa6600 and ImHereForTheMods like this.
  20. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

No problem really! Just saying what I feel! I really appreciate all you have done for me, personally, as well as the others here. =)

Really sorry to hear that... Though from your situation it is perfectly understandable for one to become depressed. It's such a difficult problem too, depression.... I know we all struggle with negative thoughts, but, depression is a prolonged struggle of the such...

Your work on the sabers has been positively amazing, like, the way you took the theme of my drawings, and repurposed it into a new and unique item. You have some real talent. And I never would have thought to record sound effects from a sink, but it turned out amazing! That's some solid ingenuity!

Sorry to hear about how others reject you, and belittle you... That is very hard as well, and definitely does not help.. but keep in mind, there are many people out there who do value what you do, and nobody can quite do what you do, quite like you do.
    I speak as one who does indeed value you work, and I look up to it, in a quite high regard. Mostly your skill, stick-to-itivness and the fact that you work tirelessly at something just to make others happy.

It's good to hear your wife is there as an encouragement to you, and to help you out, with things. You may feel bad about putting them through the stages of your depression... but... the fact is... you can't help it, and I think they understand this. Perhaps talking through your feelings may help? Especially in bad times. Another person can be a great support.

Hey, I gotta be honest too, a lot of times I expect the worst too, but... A good bit of the time, it turns out okay.,
    Also, it's just somebody else's opinion. And I know, others opinions, I worry about too, but, in the long run, I guess, it really doesn't matter as much what others think.

Glad though that at least you have some good, in spite of all that. I know it must be hard to fight depression. It's a difficult battle... Haven't had it, at least don't think I have, but I believe I understand what it means.

Hope what I said can be of some encouragement as well, as, I do mean what I said.
    That's a lot of tough stuff to deal with...

Again, thank you for all you have done, and, hang in there, partner.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    fluffyfloran, MeKa6600 and Zanderfel like this.