1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Macrochip and Logic Upgrades V4.11

Virtual Circuitry

1. Storm_UK

Storm_UK Existential Complex

2. Storm_UK

Storm_UK updated Macrochip and Logic Upgrades with a new update entry:

Fixing attempts

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Storm_UK

Update

4. Storm_UK

I've now got a WIP version set up for Steam workshop. That should help reduce bugs when I upload the Stable version here, like just now. :)

5. Storm_UK

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

I've got a suggestion: I'd love to have Macrochips that look like the vanilla console objects (the ones that just function as switches).

I was also thinking it would be wonderful if interacting with these brought up a display panel of just the interactive components, like switches and buttons, as well as labels, probably with a little gear icon or something that would allow you to open up the console's circuits for editing in the current fashion. This would allow quick button and switch access, without having to display the circuit itself or accidental editing.

The way I was thinking that these might work is that while editing the circuits, there's a highlighted rectangle where any placed interactive component becomes visible on the console's default screen. Labels would, of course, also display.

If those display screens had a pretty background that matches the console object's appearance to display the buttons and switches on, it would be awesome.

I just think this would all make for a more immersive game experience. Consoles are not just switches. That's always felt wrong to me. They need to be computer interfaces!

7. Tini_weni

Tini_weni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you suggesting more skins for the macro-chips them selves, or brand new Consoles with a HuD for various functions, with lets say 12 I/O slots. ?

8. simulatoralive

It could be implemented that way. The console-like appearance could be a skin, but the main thing I was wanting was to interact with something that looks like a console and be brought to a screen that displays interactive controls (buttons, switches, etc.) and other visual components (labels, LEDs, Hexidecimal Displays, etc.), just like your character has looked at a computer screen or a control panel on the device itself.

At the very least, some console skins would be very nice. I could just arrange all the actual circuitry off-screen and leave the main interactive components in the space that is normally shown on interaction, but that leaves a bunch of wiring visible on my console and, as I recall, macrochips do not start in inspection mode.

9. Storm_UK

Interesting idea. Such an addition might be possible, though it would entail quite a lot of work to put in with both scripting and setting up quite a lot of new graphics. So I'll have to say 'maybe one day' for now but not in the near future.

10. simulatoralive

Maybe one day is good enough. I mostly wanted to get the idea in your mind. If you never think of it, then it will never be, right?

This could easily be done in small pieces, however.

How about a 'Console Macrochip' that's the same size as the vanilla consoles (which mostly all fit in a 3x3 tile area, so 3 inputs and 6 outputs, since most of the input will be done with internal switches and buttons). The art for the skins can be ripped straight from the vanilla consoles. I know there's larger consoles, like that huge outpost console, but they could easily be left out. On the other hand, the consoles that match your More Tiles & Greebles mod would all fit, plus the smaller Outpost console, the Avain consoles, etc.

With the above, I could at least arrange the useful controls and their labels in the space that normally shows up when I interact with a Macrochip. That's basically halfway there. The rest is just eye candy. I can live with wires all over my console display. I'll just have to arrange them in a pretty way. ;-)

I also just poked around in-game and realized that the Minimacrochip is the exact same size as the fingerprint scanner, eye scanner and the little keypad from the outpost. These would make for some great extra skins for it.

11. Storm_UK

Update

12. simulatoralive

Two errors I've encountered today (using the steam version of this mod; I assume they're identical), seemingly due to your recent updates:

First, every Macrochip I had setup lost all of it's internal wiring (the components are still in place, however), both those that were in use and those stored on the workstation. That was rather frustrating, but I've since restored most of my mechanisms to working order, with some slight improvements, since I was re-building them anyway.

Two, any world that never has had remote input and output nodes placed will cause any Macrochip interacted with on those worlds to produce a black window, displaying just the window border. The work-around that I found was to place both a remote input and a remote output node. After that, even if removed, everything works fine and all Macrochips will load their editing windows just fine.

Here's my log file for opening a Macrochip on my current home world successfully, followed by visits to three other worlds, where the Macrochips failed to show the editing window correctly:
    https://pastebin.com/kRJGCQ6z

I suspect that your script is storing some data for remote nodes in each world, but is assuming that it's there when attempting to read it (instead of checking for it first), causing the script to throw an exception. However, I'm no Lua expert and have not examined your script. I'm just inferring from the log file, observed behavior and past programming experience. Trying to use uninitialized data is always asking for trouble and does just this kind of thing...

If you look at the comments on the steam version of this mod, I've provided more specific details, which are probably unimportant, since my discovery of a work-around should make it much clearer what's going on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  13. Storm_UK

Fixes

Yep my remote nodes weren't setting a default empty table when reading the world data, so that was easily sorted.

The old wiring data on chips wasn't properly converting (running a check on something in script which at that point didn't exist.) That should now be fixed.

If you have saved circuits on a macrochip workstation, the old wiring data should still be there - download and place chips should hopefully restore wiring for those at least.

Apologies all for the inconvenience :(

14. simulatoralive

Just in case this happens again: when we save a macrochip's data to the Starbound log (Alt+E, as I recall), will that kind of data always be backwards compatible? If the answer is no, then may I suggest that you consider that for future updates? It would be less headaches for everyone that way.

I'm just thinking I could save them, store them in a text file somewhere and then restore them if needs be.

15. Storm_UK

Yes, that data will be consistent now. Macrochip workstations will also save the new wiring data, whilst any holding old wiring saved data will upload to chips where it will be converted on chip placement.

16. Storm_UK

17. crudebuster

crudebuster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, I'm trying to understand why in the WIP version I had everything worked and now with the "stable" everything is absolutely not working and lagging as hell.

Edit: Completing troubleshooting my circuit and rebuilding from absolute scratch I can say that the Remote Input "All" isn't working very accurately. I've renamed the damn nodes a hundred times and it doesn't act right anymore for some reason.

Whenever I call it to simplify the circuit it doesn't act reliably anymore, clunking like a rusted cog.

I'll explain: I'm building and improving a simple elevator, one button per floor, as the platform can't carry buttons I've put them in the floor step. So, the "all" input was helping a lot, since I just named "1f" and Category "Button" to every 1f floor button in each floor. I used five. But now it doesn't work and I've tracked the problem to this function.

I've made an "improvement" to Didi Wang's version that consists of some sensors to close latches to stop the same floor button of resetting the platform's position, because it annoys me when it does that. :)

Final Edit: Good lord, it seems that's something so specific I'm really stumped. The Remote Inputs for "All" I've wired to sensors work perfectly but the ones tied to Definable or even mundane Buttons, either switch or pushbutton modes, work intermittently. Either way I can live with some additional wiring.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  18. Storm_UK

19. crudebuster

crudebuster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, thanks sir. I'll test it right away.

Edit: Working fine now, even if a bit slower than I was used. Good job sir, thanks for the fix.

Well, take a look if you feel like it. http://imgur.com/a/ZbKVg?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Storm_UK likes this.
  20. Storm_UK

Looks good :)