Dev Blog 14th March - A Star War

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is the stuff that makes me glad I got a better computer, my vista I had about half a year ago barely could run starbound before, but now that I updated I will be able to enjoy these new features to their full extent.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I think the skull-like version is supposed to represent a heavy-browed apex.

3. tangletail

tangletail Big Damn Hero

I'm curious, when might we see the next unstable update?

4. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

Unpopular opinion: I hope to god they're not racially-limited. It'd be fine and all of they were based on each race, but being stuck with one design because of your player race is what drives me nuts about ships. I rarely ever use my ship because I dislike how limited it is aesthetically, and I'd be loathe to find out that mechs have the same problem. Hopefully they allow us to freely cusomize the appearance of the mechs from whatever station we use to choose their armaments and such.

And as to the ship problem...
    Why not let the player choose to use a different ship by talking to an NPC (presumably someone more affluent than Penguin Pete, since he probably wouldn't have whole ships lying around)? The selection window could show you a preview of what the ship looks like at your current level of license, so you're not walking blindly into the decision, and would display a warning before the player changes ships, something along the lines of "You will lose anything you leave on your ship when you accept!" Simply delete the player's old ship and provide them a fresh, new one, with the simple explanation that their old ship was sold off to the trader that they bought their new one from.
    Of course, I have no clue how complex it would be to divorce the ship system from player race, but it would certainly be in keeping with the direction Starbound's taken over the years.

5. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There used to be the custom ship mod before ship upgrades, that was the best mod for it's time as it was 100% viable for multiplayer and even vanilla servers allowed it. Also I feel about the same with the mechs, I want to be able to use other race's mechs too.

6. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I do not understand why we need races at all? With this awkward Protectorate, all races have become almost identical.

7. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

Races have unrealized potential, and I believe CF is working on ironing out the all-race content before they work on the race-exclusive content again.

maestro kitty and Kawa like this.
  8. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

it's no rotating screen but

ZERO GRAVITY HYPE

9. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Seems interesting, mech customization seems nice. I don't know if I am a fan of the overall body design though, reminds me of "Doctor Egg Man's suit from Sonic.". The space lore seems a little wacky, like why are their robots and random creatures floating everywhere in space? I would maybe do fast flying meteors that when destroyed drop ore or rock. The station idea seems neat, but wouldn't you think they would have a dock for your spaceship, instead of having to do an EVA in a mech?

Honestly I sound like a huge complainer lol, the work is nice, just a few things that seem off to me. Great work though!

Shadow20218 likes this.
  10. Titanium

I hope there's ways to determine if there are significant objects across the distant void. Like the zee-bat from Sunless Sea.

maestro kitty likes this.
  11. King Kragg

King Kragg Void-Bound Voyager

Man, if there isn't a Gurren or Lagann type mech in here as an homage, I'll be only slightly disappointed. I mean come on. That style/design of mech with arms and legs on a head is just begging for a GL easter egg. If there is tho, don't tell me. I'd rather find it in the wild, but if not yeah. Very, very mild disappointment. I'm not even one to advocate for an obscure anime reference needing to be in a thing, I just think that it would be an opportunity missed for a cheeky easter egg.

Otherwise, I 100% approve of this and the new space update in general. I thoroughly enjoy the concept of the new space map. It's very Mass Effect 2 & 3, when piloting the Normandy through space. I just think it's a brilliant concept in its simplicity. Also, WASD support for said space-map piloting would be neat too. Clicking around is fine, I just like controlling the ship directly.

12. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I second this. I would love to be able to upgrade the Magnorbs in a similar style to the gauntlets, because yeah, they're just so fun to use!

maestro kitty likes this.
  13. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's terrible. Just imagine you floating into an space and being attacked all time from all sides. Too much exposition. That's what i fear. How you build the mech and how mech defenses will work? As soon as this update is out i will play. I liked the gif were the skull mech is fighting and killing many things, good art style and good animation. Also, i loved the anti-gravity garage. Very nice. I think that's an very nice implement, to tell you guys the truth, i like more the idea of vehicles in planets with harsh environments than that stupid backpack, i played the game always with the space suit or some modern armor as i like to express the difficulty in the clothes and not just put some effects just for vanity, but i am just one type of player. But the game is great, never understand this critics wrong. I also really enjoy the quest system and winning some money from different npcs. I think you guys already have done so much in this game. But if i would talk about something is of how the quest system works and some galactic colonization and quest system and an command center were everyplanet you discover or land you define it as an Exploration planet, colonization planet, dangerous planet, research planet, exotic planet and this definition would change the quests that are generated in it. Like the colonization planet were you have the mission of putting an colony in there and creating security to the planet, later you can decide between toursim, trade center or industry and this changes the quests generated in the planet but also create some changes in the villages that can be divided in tier 1, 2 and 3. But with an big update like this, would be time for an DLC. But there is a lot of things to do with this game. But now think, if you launche many updates in the future, how can you ensure the entrance of new players when you already have like 10 dlcs, it's like the sims in this case, my sister really want to play but i will not buy to her an entire set of dlc that add up to a very high amount of money. But in Blizzard we have Wow, then they just combo all the dlcs in the standard version and just put the newer version as an dlc, i think that's the best option. But were i am going with that. Who knows....

14. Johnnyloo

Johnnyloo Void-Bound Voyager

Just who the hell do you think I am?

Kawa likes this.
  15. Toxic Seahorse

Toxic Seahorse Void-Bound Voyager

I guess the next question is, when does it release?

16. Titanium

nice absolutely readable wall of text

koolieo1 and Niels2012 like this.
  17. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Hello!
    I love this game, although it is easy to find modules and technology cards, it should be more difficult to access them, they are legendary objects, the normal thing is that it is not easy hehe

The items to perform generic missions should be more varied also, and some minerals, the most advanced, should be more scarce as well.

A little more general difficulty in those aspects, and even stronger enemies in dangerous systems.

Sorry, google translator xD

18. Niels2012

Niels2012 Void-Bound Voyager

Just wondering, if you're going to completely change the navigation system, what is going to happen to our old characters and their worlds?

19. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

It's just an interface change for the navigation, should not break anything. You may have to fly to not yet generated systems to find the new objects like space stations (although they may also be generated in old systems, we'll see when the update releases)

20. Lambientan

Lambientan Void-Bound Voyager

I'm so exited that I can't even think can't even think what to say to express my excitement.