Just bought this game...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ellindsey, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ellindsey

ellindsey Space Spelunker

Bought it yesterday as an impulse buy after hearing good word of mouth, and I'm already hooked. Only about a week into the first season. I have no idea what I'm doing and am probably quite far from an optimized farm so far, but I'm having fun. Did some foraging, cleared space, planted some crops (tried one of every seed from the general store in addition to the 15 free seeds). Walked around town and tried to talk to everyone I met. Listened to Abigail play the flute. I think I'm going to try and marry her, though I'm also a fan of Maru.

Loving this game so far. I'm going to have to ration my time on it if I don't want it to completely suck my life away.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Welcome to Pelican Town, Ellindsey. You can pick up your complimentary 'I Got Slimed in the MInes' T-shirt at the Adventurer's Guild, and don't forget to try the local salmonberry jelly.

• ThePineappleWarlord

ThePineappleWarlord Title Not Found

Welcome! I love to hear that the game entertains you, and hopefully that excitement sticks!

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

It only takes one in-game day of playing to hook you. lol I was the same way. Read about it in a magazine and then thought about trying it on PS4. Pretty much been addicted ever since.

WonkoTSane42 likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I actually forced myself to wait a few days before buying it - I found out about it on a Sunday, had a bunch of commissions that needed to be done over the next week and I knew if I bought Stardew, all I was gonna do was play Stardew. So I watched LP's all week and started planning, but man, first thing outta bed Saturday morning, I rushed online and bought the game. Haven't looked back since. lol

WonkoTSane42 likes this.
            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You're taking one of many perfectly sensible approaches to the game, commonly known as "wandering around and doing stuff." I find it personally attractive because it gives some sense of the big picture, and leaves you free to develop your preferences and time as you see fit.

• Jack Of Shades

Sometimes I do that. And then I end up owing Qi half my farm the next day... One of the worst parts of owning a Wine farm, you do your own supply and end up owing someone. :(

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Hops, at least, rule. Buy enough of those, and you'll be swimming in money in no time.

• Jack Of Shades

I have, FINALLY, a wonderful ALMOST fully grown Ancient Fruit greenhouse operation. :3

• ellindsey

Yesterday I was talking with the jock kid, and he told me that it was a lovely day, and if I wasn't a girl he'd ask me to play catch. I wanted to tell him, "Look, kid. Yesterday morning I cut down three trees, then dug up and moved enough stone to make a stone walkway to my front door. Then in the afternoon I went down into the mines and killed a dozen monsters while looking for gems. Do you see these biceps? I could probably snap your skinny little body in half like a dried twig if I wanted to", but for some reason that choice wasn't available in the dialog box.

Loving this game, still have no idea what to do in the long term but the wandering around and doing stuff strategy is working for now.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

You never can say what's really on your mind, can you. ;p

By all means, wander! One of the nicest things about the game is that there are no time limits. (Not even Grampa's visit, anymore.) Take as long as you want to figure out the things you want to do.

DreamerDrop likes this.
                        • Jack Of Shades

That's what I truly love about this game. The freedom. The true freedoms to do as you please. Use whatever style or strategy you want to play the game. The fluidity really speaks to me. Among the countless features I find charming and fun about this game.

• Gingerale99

Gingerale99 Space Hobo

Please help. I am new at Stardew Valley. My day cycle is too short! I till some soil and in 10 minutes or so (of real life time) I have to go to sleep (in the game). How can I get more time to do stuff?

• ellindsey

Ration your time. Don't try to do everything in one day. Keep an eye on the clock and make sure you get back to bed before the game forces to fall asleep. And remember you can always do more stuff tomorrow.

Lilliput likes this.
                              • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please start your own thread instead of piggybacking on an unrelated one.

• ellindsey

Favorite moment of the game so far - playing video games with Abigail. I had heard that there was a scene where you play with her, but I was expecting just a non-interactive cutscene, not actually playing a two-player game with her shouting encouragement.

Least favorite part - the mines. I am not good at the whole fighting monsters part, and it doesn't give me the same relaxing satisfaction as the rest of the game. I especially hate those high-speed bugs that can fly through walls and fly across the entire map to swarm you. Any tips for dealing with those things? I'd skip the mines entirely, but they seem to be the best way to get ore and gems.

I have accidentally become better friends with Shane than anyone else. I'm not even trying to romance him, I just want to cheer the sad boy up.

Loving the amount of polish and detail, especially in the incidental wildlife on the surface. I watched a woodpecker pecking at a tree, saw an owl fly overhead at night, scared away some seagulls pecking at trash on the beach. It's amazing that this game was created by a single person, it's better than many full-price mainstream games I've played.

Jack Of Shades likes this.
                                  • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

If you like Abby's game, there's a cabinet version of it you can play at any time in the Stardrop, over in the pool table room. (It is also possible to win one of these for your own home, if you get good enough at the game.)

The Mines are really the only good source for most ores and gems (except for the Skull Dungeon, which is even /worse/ if you don't like combat). Even when the Quarry becomes available, it's a supplement at best. Best advice for flying attacks, especially swarms of cave flies, bats, or anything that passes through walls, is to keep turning to face whichever one is dive bombing and swing your sword like a crazy Napoleon. If you've got food, never forget that you can eat at any time, even in the middle of a fight, and the monsters will politely freeze in place while you have a snack, which is awfully helpful of them sometimes. Keep upgrading your weapon as best you can afford as new ones are either found as treasure or added to the purchase list in the Adventurer's Guild.

Even after a year of playing this game I still get a kick out of the extra wildlife. If I've got some extra time, I'm fond of watching fireflies on Summer nights.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Mark the location of the ladder when you enter a floor, so you'll always know where to run to in case you feel unequal to the combat, or suddenly discover you're running out of time. In most cases, every 5 levels brings you to a small non-combat one with a treasure chest that contains a weapon or piece of armor. Check out the stats, and don/wear the best.

Remember, there's no reason you have to fight that monster down the corridor. Proceed carefully, and see if you can get by or find another way to your destination. In any case, never let yourself get boxed in. If you see two monsters, draw one off to fight it while leaving the other one alone. If the monsters are too many, go back up a level, and down again. The level design and monsters will have reset.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Going back up a single level is not possible. Using the ladder can only take you back to the very top of the mine-- not the level above where you currently are. If you happen to be lucky enough to be on a level divisible by five, you can take the elevator straight back to that level after leaving, but you can't just climb back up one level at at a time.

• Jack Of Shades

Being that she is my wife now, I agree. Abigail's heart event was so cute and fun. WE beat the crap out of the game. lol