1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to treat the universe like Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RowanEx, Mar 19, 2017.

1. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

I mean, sure, you can save your planets, but can you share the planets? Like a Minecraft save.

Sounds farfetched, but it was some idea I had...

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Yes, you can. In your Starbound/storage/universe folder there are files which correspond to planets you've visited. IIRC, the first two strings of numbers are the coordinates.

Tamorr likes this.
  3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You can even share entire characters and universes, actually. Just copy the relevant folders in Starbound/storage

Tamorr likes this.
  4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Copying the whole universe folder is easier, but replacing your current universe folder with somebody else's would result in erasing everything you've built.

Also, I'd like to add that creating backups before messing with files is always a good idea.

5. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can copy only the necessary files, no need to copy whole universe. See here https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/...inspired_by_the_intro_city/dcsdizq/?context=3

6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Assuming you and they use the same mods, if any, that alter universe generation, sure, you can share planets.

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes and no.

as people said youc an send someoen the save files for a planet, only a few or the entire universe. But the game does not treat them individually, so exchanging this will make planets overwrte each other. given you even visited the same planets. So simply make sure to backup your stuff bwfore visiting somone elses stuff.
    But it will surely be tough to find someoen elses planets unless you knwo the coordinates, there are so many in SB that even when you only import their planets finding them by random is a low chance at all.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, it's not a big deal to find those planets if you look up the coordinates first.

10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

quote tough whensomeoen visted like 2k planets and you want to figure out which of those are the ones worth to visit because the player did alter them somehow. Without an info or a timestamp thats going to be quite a task to figure te right palnets out of the folders.

11. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm always a little odd about planet backups, the coordinates always confuse me as I don't know where they start and end, or decimals, or any of that. (I'll be honest. I'm one of those "artsy" types and numbers are absolutely beyond me.)

I end up copying the universe, but sort of having trouble figuring out which ones are my cities, since there's so many visited planets. It would be neat to have a mod or so that "exports" planets to a separate folder with simple given name and coordinates easily visible for the mathematically impaired. (like myself)