RELEASED New Map: Jungle Temple v1.0

Adds new custom maps to the game.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

WIP update for the interior:

20170319221227_1.jpg

*Had to create a bunch of sprite variants to better blend the color matching between tiles.

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh wow, those atmospheric details are amazing. It really feels like a spooky abandoned temple, and it looks so well put together and detailed.

I love how you've incorporated the different types of statues and made the Cannoli statues look all ominous with glowing eyes.

• Ulithium_Dragon

Thanks! :]

I spend a loooooooong time making additional tile variants (probably way more time than I actually spend on the maps ffs lol). I mean this is my current custom tilesheet at the moment, and it's CONSTANTLY growing, too:

JungleTemple_TileSheet.png

Also here's another progress update. I think the entryway is finished now:

20170320055409_1.jpg

I've started working on the next room now. Here's a preview of the first junction room:

20170320062857_1.jpg

I've also changed the aesthetic of the temple exterior a bit, and fixed it so no weather effects will play there (meaning no snow or rain):

20170320062933_1.jpg

Also I'm working on setting up conditions for activating those rune signs to remove the barriers to the next room(s).

And finally I trimmed the map sizes down for both the interior and exterior to remove the extra space that I didn't end up needing now that I'm sure both of those maps are "finished" (although you probably won't notice any differences since that's kinda the point - it was unused space lol).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
        • DreamerDrop

Oh, neat. Are you gonna have it be a sort of internal labyrinth maze type of thing? Or just a couple rooms on each side with some things to look around at?

If you could get strong enemies to spawn in some of the rooms like in the mines or caverns, I think that would be a really neat feature. (Though I have no idea how difficult that would be, since I can't code to save my life, and you've already put SO MUCH effort into just making it look fantastic.)

Overall, this looks really, really cool. It's exactly the sort of map expansion I've been dying for! Exploration of new areas is always the best part of games like this! :love:

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

Funny you should mention that. I've actually working on a framework to allow modders to add monster spawning to locations by simply adding a config file (currently just based on Wilderness Farm spawns, but I might branch it out later).

It's not particularly difficult to do for ground monsters (slimes, golems, etc.), but I'm running into an issue where spawned bats are invisible, which makes it kinda hard to actually fight them.

DreamerDrop likes this.
            • Ulithium_Dragon

That was the plan, yeah: a confusing web of passages. Ideally I'd have a statue like the one you can see in Junction 01 in each room that when spoken too can warp the player out (I don't want people to get stuck in there and pass out at night lmao).

To be honest, I was very disappointed by the Mines and Skull Cavers, since they're just a linear stretch of the same 5 reskinned rooms plopped down over and over again, and they got kinda boring really fast... :L

(Also just FYI: I never actually have a REAL plan when I make mods like these - I kinda just go in and start wingin' it till I have something I like made lmao.)

I know Entoarox was going to look into adding monster spawn options to ALL. Here's his "idea template" document for it:
              https://gist.github.com/Entoarox/76398be5eff22d05037172bfb4212c8a

...But yes, ideally I'd like to spawn monsters on my maps. :]

• DreamerDrop

That was my problem with the Skull Cavern. I was so excited after finishing the mines because I was wondering what this new mysterious place to explore might be like! ... It's nothing. At least with the mines, I got a sense of progression. The Skull Caverns just felt like I was going in circles without anything to really discover.

That's why mods like this make my heart skip a beat. Exploring strange, cryptic labyrinths with an actual sense of progression is what I love. I was really disappointed the vanilla game didn't have much like that. Even in HM DS and their mines, I felt a sense of purpose in getting to the bottom. I miss that.

• Ulithium_Dragon

Unfortunately there's large-ass limits on how much I can actually DO right now though sadly. :[

I.e. I can't spawn monsters (yet), I can't add items as rewards (in ANY way, shape or form), I can't make key hunting puzzles (which I really wanna be able to do), etc.

*All of the above things I just listed are "planned" features for ALL Entoarox told me, though. He's just been to busy with IRL stuff lately to work on it much, and also people are waiting patiently for CA to release the 1.2 update of SDV (and the new version of SMAPI with it).

• Ulithium_Dragon

ALMOST got it working now...

20170321002257_1.jpg

• Ulithium_Dragon

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

GIF.gif

*GIGANTIC thanks to Androxilogin for helping me set this up! You have no idea how overly complicated setting up that ONE stupid door removal was...

• Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon updated New Map: Jungle Temple with a new update entry:

More rooms and Overhauls

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Ulithium_Dragon

Update released:

v1.0:
                          - Added three new rooms - a junction room, and two side rooms (left and right).
                          - Overhauled the temple interior room quite a lot. Also some minor tweaks and fixes to the temple exterior.
                          - Added requirements for entering each new room activate the tablet with the glowing red runes on it to learn more!
                          *GINORMOUS thankyouthankyouthankyou's to both Entoarox and Androxilogin for helping me figure out how to set this up correctly!!!

DreamerDrop likes this.
                          • dawnplechaty

dawnplechaty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this still dont work for me and i have nothing interfering with it at all, im so disappointed

• Ulithium_Dragon

I'll ask once again: do you have any mods either Advanced Location Loader ot regular that are also overwriting the "Woods.xnb" map?

I need more information besides "halp it want werk" to help you figure out WHY it's not working. Apart from the above info, it would also be helpful if you could check:
                              - That the mod was installed correctly, with for my files means they're placed inside the "Stardew Valley/Mods/AdvancedLocationLoader/locations/JungleTemple" directory.
                              - That you correctly installed the latest version of Advanced Location Loader (which at the time of writing is v1.2.9).
                              - That you correctly installed the latest version of Entoarox Framework (which at the time of writing is v1.6.5).
                              - That you have the indicated version of SMAPI installed (which at the moment is v1.8), and are launching the game via the SMAPI launcher and NOT the regular one.
                              - That you are using the REGULAR version of Stardew Valley (which at the time of writing is v1.11), and NOT the "beta nightly v1.2x build".

I can't help you without more information.

• Ulithium_Dragon

Just a heads up: the project isn't dead or anything, just slowed down a bit (I was working on some other projects).

One of the things I was having fun doing earlier was adding flavor text messages for when activating various objects throughout the ruins. :]

• stephanreiken

stephanreiken Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks pretty nice! Whats in it right now? Perhaps you could get some mobs to spawn there.

• Ulithium_Dragon

If you read the OP in this thread, you'd have seen the link to this page, which has several posts that answer those questions. :]
                                    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/new-map-jungle-temple.131412

(I dislike the auto-thread creation that the Chucklefish forums does for mods, and I wish I could just have the mod ONLY point to that thread...)

• stephanreiken

stephanreiken Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah, put in a request and they will merge your threads so that the other thread is the mod thread. They did that for me with my mod ^^

• Ulithium_Dragon

Alrighty sorry guys, but my interest in Stardew Valley died off. I will likely pick this project up again whenever v1.2 of the game is *finally* released, but until then this projection should be considered "on hold".

Karmylla likes this.
                                        • soss

soss Tentacle Wrangler

Hi! Sorry to like, jump in right as you made that last post, but how exactly do you find that key that's mentioned in the thumbnail images? Is it a thing, or am I missing something...? Sorry.