1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your weapon preference?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lavender Aces, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

I have several favourite weapons. For melee, a sword / spear with Blink Explosion (always a spear for my Floran!). Blink Explosion does incredible damage and also renders you invulnerable for a moment, two in one! For range, a Portal staff with Healing Zone, and a nice assault rifle with grenade launcher. For ancient vault bosses, I use Tesla's Staff. I really dislike its main attack, but its secondary attack absolutely destroys bosses, even lightning ones!

Other weapons I like: The Doomcannon is very powerful against heavily armoured targets, mostly humanoids. One of my characters carries around two supernova fists to just punch Peblits and Crustoises with left - right combos to stop them from charging / hiding. Actually, come to think of it, my human carries at least five weapons all the time because of this bucket list... Prepared for everything.

For fun I like to carry around a gnome gun. :nurutease:

Lavender Aces likes this.
  2. Lavender Aces

Lavender Aces Space Spelunker

That gnome gun is seriously the best thing about this game.

Shaggyd0g and Kalteas like this.
  3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

grenades, missile launchers and the blade with the rift. Rest then makes it a cakewalk. But I also like those summoning staffs that constantly spawn projectiles they make many bosses supereasy.

I went through many gnome biomes and didn't had any luck finding it, it's like the only superrarest weapon for me atm. But kinda sad the gnome lost his mini gun.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I usually carry around at least one of everything, except shotguns and assault rifles. One pair of one-handed guns, one pair of daggers (for dealing with flyers, which can be hard to hit with slower weapons), one rocket spear (if I find a higher level spear, I wield that one, but keep the rocket spear for flying around low-gravity areas), one healing special staff, the Kluex staff if I can get it (which, since I have a boss drop mod, is always the case) for destroying bosses within a single chargeup, and a pair of grenade launchers and a rocket launcher with the guided missile special for delicate aiming. I'm now also trying out the Doomcannon, and seeing how it synchronizes with my pistols, and I'm thinking of trying fist weapons since I just realized that, if I calculated correctly, they have the highest DPS of anything in the game (seriously, the Supernova gauntlet inflicts 10.5 base damage 3 times in a cycle, and one time 35 base damage, with the whole cycle being 0.3*3+0.2=1.1 seconds long? That's 67.5/1.1=61+ DPS).

5. Lambientan

Lambientan Void-Bound Voyager

I tend to adapt to the weapon that causes the greatest amount of damage. Some times it's a sniper, a sword, bazookas, shotguns, any other thing or a combination of all of them. The only thing that I neglect are hammers because they are very close distance and are very slow.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I used to only use a giant hammer,

But i'm now using a spear/halberd/pollaxe mashup

And i keep a lot of energy javelins, you never know when you will encounter some big monstrosities :viking:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  7. Axl4325

Axl4325 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Primary I use an assault rifle (with rocklets if I find a weapon with them) or a shotgun and secondary I normally use a longsword/hammer to fight without energy

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I have now decided to start using Tier 8 weaponry, since the wiki mentioned how to get them (hint: a fully-upgraded ship is Tier 8). A Tier 8 rocket launcher is ridiculous, as is my pair of Tier 8 machine pistols, but it's still nowhere near as ridiculously powerful in terms of DPS as my Tier 8 axes. Together, they do I think 90 DPS without factoring in my armor bonus. And I've got an autoswinging axes/hammers mod installed, so yeah, they're my main melee weapons now.

9. Redacted Revenant

Redacted Revenant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd use broadswords, shortswords, spears, pretty much any gun or staves.

10. BasicallyNuclear

BasicallyNuclear Big Damn Hero

I use the violium broadsword and the adaptive crossbow, I sometimes use the vintage sniper rifle

11. Kajima

Kajima Phantasmal Quasar

Vanilla: Dual Dragon Pistols

Modded: Ryumetsuto (broadsword)

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

In space, I like to dual-wield bombs, since they fly straight there, and act as bouncy AOE projectiles with a potential DPS of 920 (100 base DPS if wielded one-handed, so 200 base DPS dual-wielded, and 4.6x the damage due to armor). I also of course like to use a rocket spear in space, since you move so erratically with it that at times enemies can't judge your direction.

13. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Cellshade because it look great, but eventually upgraded via a mod because it's not powerfull enough for the most hostile worlds. Oh and by the way because it can send projectiles just like a gun.
    Otherwise the impervium sword is cool because *clumsy immitation of a laser sword sound*.

14. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Swords and shotguns for me. I also keep an automatic pistol and shield, and a sniper rifle. I also keep a healing/energy staff with me and...

ok, I carry a lot of weapons.

15. Clavio

Clavio Void-Bound Voyager

since the death of the flamethrower i was very upset because that was like my one and only weapon i used almost all the time
    i used it to light up caves alot too (because back then i wasn't that fond of the EPP stuff and the light augment, maybe it didn't exist yet either)

but good thing Firestorm's Fury exists :'>
    so yes, this is one of the weapons that is always in my inventory

and my prefered close range weapon would be the Asuterosaberu DX
    (even though firestorm's fury is also a sword, i only use it for its flamethrower)
    i'm so sorry for these all-legendary weapons but they're just very good and i'm not known to have good battle strategies :'|

and the wands! i really love using those too
    i currently have a lvl 6 wand with poison portal and healing zone, it's quite useful!

16. resistentialist

resistentialist Pangalactic Porcupine

I've fallen in love with a shortsword I picked up in unstable (1.3). "Energy baton" or something like that. Its combo move is a swing instead of a stab, and it has a similar activate-to-glow effect to the one the violium broadsword has. I picked it up while visiting another ship.

17. KRANOT

KRANOT Big Damn Hero

assultrifles and grenadelaunchers.

18. soldierfast90

soldierfast90 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm the 'boring' ranger kinda guy. I like to use Assault rifles with grenades for combined explosive 'artillery' and long-range fire.

I also use a shield and grenade launcher (mines) which act as a sort of flak cannon and minelayer if I need to set traps. Bless the grenade launcher mines and their explosive detonation radius.

If I need concentrated fire I like to use the Vintage Rifle (partially due to my love of World War Era weaponry). My style is to keep at long ranges and utilise cover to give the best advantage.

When I'm testing my mod's levels, I go all out blazing with a 'Physical' shotgun, blasting enemies in the face.

I never use melee

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Swords and assault rifles. I don't really like any other weapons. I tend to primarily be melee but will use the assault rifle if need be.

20. Thewolfbuddy

Thewolfbuddy Void-Bound Voyager

Staves (except for boss fights)

You can kill things that can't even see you by ctrl'ing your screen to the right or left and launching your projectiles of choice over to them.

Use repulsion field to stop them from even approaching you.

Staves = Good

I like guns for boss fights though, especially rocket launchers.

BasicallyNuclear likes this.