Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

If they did have progress, it would've been very slow. Are there any animals they could have domesticated? An odd question, sure, but you'd be surprised how much of an advantage horses were to early civilizations. One thing that comes to mind is since the Americas had very few domesticateable animals, llamas and alpacas being the only ones that come to mind, the civilizations there were stunted. The grand civilizations that did exist where located in the south where the animals in question were found.

2. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I've been told (secondhand) that avali didn't domesticate animals. Maybe they could have, but they didn't. Probably the predator thing again.

3. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Then that would've crippled their ability to do any heavy lifting. I understand seeing mounts as unnecessary when you have motorized transport, but before that just having animals as beasts of burden is a huge game-changer, prior to motors of course. So yes, in short I would say that the avali, without the benefit of uplifting, would have been stuck in the stone age.

4. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

Oi, nuttas. So I got bored and poked Kawa about her Felin Object+ mod and how she went about adding racial descriptions for every vanilla object in game. Turns out she made her own little program to do it. And I got my hands on it.

I feel at this point it might be worth mentioning I can write a 30,000 word novella in less than a week, should I be pressed to do so.

One of the very few things that I feel the Triage mod is missing to make the Avali a complete experience for Starbound is custom racial descriptions for the vanilla objects. The mod has practically everything else so far. A unique sprite, custom blocks, villages, hire-able crew and tenants with furnishings, stand-ins for armor, craftable weapons, a custom ship, and plenty of fan-mods that add more content, such as a pet drone, a variant of the ship, and so on.

But no racial descriptions, save for their own objects. A shame given how much charm Starbound gets with it's races off of examine text, especially considering scanning things is integral to the game's progression, and is also necessary to make use of the Pixel Printer.

All I need is a base personality to work off of and we very well could have "Avali Objects+" within a month.

5. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

That is very neat, both the program and that speed.
    I always imagined a more conceited view, not quite full-on conceited, but not far from it. Either that or a no-nonsense 'predatory' view?

Firebird Zoom and IFailAtGaming like this.
  6. TheOnlyRen

I'll have to give the Avali wiki a full on read-through, that's for certain, re-familiarize myself with Avali tech level and so on. One of the big things I'm concerned about already is examining crops, since in-game everyone can eat corn, for instance, with no issue, including the Avali.

Also there's the Protectorate starting mission, there are in fact a slew of unique objects there that can be examined, even though, IIRC an Avali being in the protectorate would probably be non-canon? I dunno, maybe I'll play it off as being an exchange student.

7. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i always played it as an espionage/diplomacy thing, since those matter manipulators seem to be kind of a big deal
    also personality wise, i'd say smug, not full on hylotl, but kind of glitch level smugness

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  8. YellowDemonHurlr

Also, I suggest going through their in-game dialogue. The wiki gives a lot of information but very little flavor. You don't get a sense of who the Avali are unless you read the in-game stuff.

9. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Personally, I wanted to devote a bit of time to changing a bit of the text in the protectorate mission to make it seem like the player was among the first Avali being accepted into the protectorate. Maybe not THE first, but avali in the protectorate was a fairly new thing, like "within the past 2 years" new.

10. TheOnlyRen

Okay, so I went and checked before I got ahead of myself to see if this thing actually works. It took a few tries and me uninstalling every mod I got through Steam's Workshop and installing Avali and a race extender through the forums. Buuuuut...

[​IMG]

We in business, lads.

Yeah, I don't really know the first thing about modding (hell, it took me three days to figure out how the Racial Description Editor worked), but fuck I'm glad I got this to work without crashing, so far.

11. TheOnlyRen

Don't think for a second I'm above double posting. ;p

Alright, took some time to admin in the Avali custom items and examine them, and off of those alone, an Avali PC tends to be detail oriented and prattles on, like a lot. Compared to vanilla examine texts, Avali tend to go on for a full sentence longer than what might be entirely necessary. They love to explain how their tech works, at least, but that's a given for most starbound races looking at their own racial crap. Aside from that, they aren't above a childish, gleeful pop culture reference. I.E. their text for examining the captain's chair on their ship is "ENGAGE!!" and for examining a hammer rack is "HAMMER SMASH!"

Wasn't there also some dude earlier on who "voice-acted" an Avali character? I remember playing one of his vids in the background, but he seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the Avali lore. I might have to watch his stuff again.

hypergen8, Asmodios and Firebird Zoom like this.
  12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Isn't the 'ENGAGE!' part the standard description for the captain's chair? Now that might have changed with the vanilla race chairs, but the avail one would've escaped that.

13. TheOnlyRen

According to the description editor, no. The Avali Captain's chair is unique to their ship.

14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

15. Iceball457

Iceball457 Phantasmal Quasar

It was probably @YellowDemonHurlr 's Machinima Starbound, the monsters below. I mean, technically I voice acted too, but I didn't do a very good job. So I would figure you meant him...

16. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yellowdemonhurler? He has done a lot of research on the avali, and his videos are one of the few sources we have on them.
    Although I am not sure if it is possible, but the dialogue of avali crew members should probably be tweaked a little. It feels weird being called a captain, when avali are all about their pack. Granted, the in-game mechanics don't line up with this, so it might not be worth considering as a high priority, if at all.

17. YellowDemonHurlr

Yes, as far as I know, I'm the only one who's done avali voice acting. I don't know how good of a resource I am, though: I did my research, but I also made up a lot of stuff to make the jump from "textbook description of a civilization" to actual characters.

The link to the videos is in my sig, if you want to check if it's me you're thinking of. And if it's not, I'd be very interested to know.

18. TheOnlyRen

Ah, that's what you meant. Well alright then. Even then, the hammer display, which most certainly IS a custom Avali item, still has that cheesy "HAMMER SMASH!" line, so I might take it and run with it.

Ah, I would've known it was you sooner if I had signature's enabled. I'll get on that. Neither of us are "professionals" when it comes to the Avali's lore and universe, but only Ryuujin can claim that title and were he here I probably wouldn't even be considering the monstrous task I have before me. So I'll be in touch.

I'd love to rewrite Avali NPC and crew text if I knew how, unfortunately it's not something I can fiddle around with using the program I have.

Runa Rosarry and Firebird Zoom like this.
  19. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Oh, you can't download Notepad++?

20. TheOnlyRen

*Googles Notepad++*

Well, that's a thing.

*Downloads*

Have I mentioned I'm completely fuckin' new to modding?

hypergen8, Firebird Zoom and Relten like this.