Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. freezoid

freezoid Void-Bound Voyager

I would really like an update to quest system. Quests from random npc's are so repetitive. Some more variety would be nice. Maybe a smaller boss to fight, or a gang of enemies? Extinguish the house on fire, or bring a water to the village?
    Cheers!

PaxCallow, xaliber and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Personally, what I would love is for there to be actual city planets. Where goods are exchanged at different prices depending on the demand, while crime is much more difficult but much more rewarding.

Kawa, Lodish, DraikNova and 1 other person like this.
  3. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it would be cool to see various space hazards implemented now

Pirate ships that try attacking you
    Black holes that you need to avoid
    Flying too close to gas giants

And perhaps more upgrades for the ship to negate these problems? More firepower for pirates, super pressurized components for surviving gas giants, and some really high tech stuff for negating the pull of black holes.

Would also be pretty cool if you could mine gas giants, and perhaps more matter manipulator upgrades? Some of us have upwards of 1000 MM modules, I'd like to be able to use them for stuff, like further increasing the MM to have even bigger range when mining, and a new "gas" collection feature perhaps? Going back to the whole minable gas giants thing, and make new craftables with the various gases, like hydrogen, helium, methane, ammonia, etc. I'm thinking something similar to an asteroid field, but with winds pushing you around, and you're constantly taking damage, unless you upgrade your EPP pack to survive the gas giants hospitable environment. And once upgraded you can walk around freely, like on an asteroid field. And a core of solid ice and rock. I guess there could be some monsters living in the gas giants as well, like a TON of skimbuses or something.

I really really want to see city planets too.

I suppose space stations could be similar. The closest thing we have are Scorched planets...why is there not a single planet-wide scaling city in-game? The only one we had was at the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    DraikNova likes this.
  4. Jareix Cryvix

I mean, you can't have a galaxy this big with this much sentient life and not have established city planets. There's so many factions and such for each of them, why don't they have established planets and why is there never any conflict?

Also, fix your double post before a moderator does.

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I too would like to see something like this. Surely Earth wasn't the only urbanized planet around. What about Avos? Or the former Hylotl homeworld? Or the Planet of the Apex?

My main worry would be performance, though. Things chug a bit just with larger colonies. A city-wide one might be too much. Perhaps something like the prologue, with limited accessible areas and the illusion of a larger city.

Way ahead of you.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Which is basically the plan for one of my Felin extension mods. Thanks for reminding me.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, although I wonder how one would simulate a busy city rather than a calm one like the Protectorate one. I'm guessing having NPCs spawn and despawn regularly would help get a feel of active traffic, and buildings actually having stuff inside them rather than being solid masses like in the intro would help as well.

xaliber and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  8. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Yeah, I'd guess mainly animated backgrounds, that should not eat up to many resources if done right. Like, one or two ships starting/landing occasionally, skyways with many cars (but only one image that is moved around!), maybe even tiny one-pixel people....

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  9. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

Personally, I would take the path of least resistance and slap on a nice animated background with black outlines of hovercars flying back and forth between buildings in the distance.
    And if I feel especially lazy, I would not allow players beyond the visitor area, blocking every possible direction with mock security gates. Because I'm evil. And lazy. Actually, I'm not evil. Just lazy. And blind ^.
    And lazy.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Now THIS I'd like to see. A space station, or maybe even their homeworld as a mission or something. That would be awesome.

As long as you continue to use awesome music, like that earworm-ish track that plays for the very short duration of the Felin custom intro. That track is awesome, btw.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The original plan was to have a mission or something set in the town of New Desire, Fhurai region, Firrhna. I still have a bunch of assets ready to use, such as unique museum pieces and BongoCatâ„¢. Then they added support for custom intro missions, so I whipped up part of the space station in orbit around Firrhna. Might link New Desire to the outpost-replacement somehow. Have the station visible in the sky same way you can see Firrhna from the station.
    This is a given. One of the assets mentioned earlier is in fact some music, the track Aurea Carmina by the same person who did the intro music, Ether Disco. The links go to the full versions that I cut up in the mods.

Yeah, that's right. What you heard in the intro isn't even the full song.

Speaking of the intro, here's Senbazuru, from the early intro cutscene mod.

Jareix Cryvix and Xylia like this.
  12. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa! This talk of metropolis biome got me excited.

I thought of this a while back... My idea would be making it like more Coruscant than Blade Runners: where each buildings are distanced quite apart, and between them only flying or pillar-supported platforms. So you don't have to populate every corners in the planet with NPCs, because most of the surface is actually empty or just flying platforms. Same goes with subsurface layer, it's empty. Only when you get to the underground and below you get the lower city where the mutants, gangs, and scums of the planet dwell. Just spawn monsters and hostile NPCs like usual on these layers.

So something like this:

[​IMG]

I think maybe that can simulate a busy city?

13. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

I think this would work well, especially with a animated background and and some good sound effects. It would also deal with the lag issue if too much was going on, you'd only have to give and illusion of it being busy.

xaliber likes this.
  14. Jareix Cryvix

I was thinking more like Fifth Element style cities. Where most of the time on the planet is indoors, with transitional screens as you navigate to other buildings.
    Meanwhile on the surface and in run down buildings, that is where you'll find the batshit crazy stuff...

Alternatively, you're likely to find the more primitive planets, which would be really cool. Like endless villages.

Actually, the idea of factions would be absolutely the most awesome idea I could think of for this game... It'd be a great way to make up for us not having custom intros, and instead, allowing us to cut off relations with the protectorate and start anew...

xaliber, Relten and Lodish like this.
  15. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Given the style of city I'm planning to make as a mission for a mod one of these days, random NPCs spawning and despawning in short intervals, some stopping to go to a hotdog stand a short distance away from the sidewalk where they spawn, would probably work best, since it'd give both a feel of busy people going to work and avoid taxing the engine too much.

16. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

At this point the old concept art/ mock up with a city planet could be possible.

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I think I know which mockup you mean :nuruwink:

18. Kretus

Kretus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds cool and all but I'm still wondering whatever happened to Director Mode?

19. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Saelandia? Caeldonia? A floating island world? possibilities.

20. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

:O

OMG OMG OMG