Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed, explosions are my favourite kind of food. I don't know though, pretty sure there's alot of water in ice cream. So, I think I'll will pass. I enjoy living. (Still not sure if water would be toxic to a typical avali. Well I think they can digest it, just not too much.)

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Due to their ammonia-based biology, water isn't necessarily toxic, but is still highly hazardous to them. Relevant: http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/PDF/Ammonia.pdf

Basically, when you mix ammonia and water, the resulting chain of chemical reactions gives off hydrogen gas, and gas in the blood stream is VERY bad for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_embolism

Symptoms [of an air embolism] include: Loss of consciousness, Cessation of breathing, Vertigo, Convulsions, Tremors, Loss of coordination, Loss of control of bodily functions, Numbness, Paralysis, Extreme fatigue, Weakness in the extremities, Areas of abnormal sensation, Visual abnormalities, Hearing abnormalities, Personality changes, Cognitive impairment, Nausea or vomiting, [or] Bloody sputum (Copied from the above link, modified for forum use)

It can also in some cases be fatal.

EDIT: In humans, because we have so much water in us, ammonia is actually much worse. The water is consumed in the reaction, but the ammonia is not, meaning that in an avali, the water would quickly get used up and stop reacting (leaving just a bit of hydroxide and hydrogen behind)

In a human, however, because the ammonia doesn't get used up, the reaction can just keep going and going until the ammonia gets filtered out of the body somehow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. Runa Rosarry

Thanks, I've been meaning to get into researching this, but sadly I've too many things going on.
    So essentially, is probably treated as ingredients such as chocolate. Where it may be safe to consume, but large amounts of it daily can be toxic or something.

Dragonclaw and Firebird Zoom like this.
  4. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Also, chocolate won't turn into crystals when you eat it.

5. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I'd liken it more to really bad meth: In the short-term and in small doses, aside from a bit of disorientation and an overall bad feeling, it won't do much lasting harm, but constant exposure can severely damage the body, and too much all at once can be outright lethal.

Or pockets of gas in your bloodstream.

6. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

So, basically, Avali needs some sort of gas masks to breathe in Oxygen -filled planets?

7. Runa Rosarry

Yeah, that sound like a more reasonable way of thinking.

8. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

It's not the oxygen, it's the water, and it's more likely they'd opt for full-on environmental softsuits (Think Hazmat). Not only for themselves, but also because they realize they're toxic to the environment around them, and the fact that the water vapor in the air could cause a burning sensation depending on how humid it is.

Runa Rosarry and Firebird Zoom like this.
  9. YellowDemonHurlr

Oxygen could be a problem, actually. Oxygen is highly reactive. It's basically poisonous, even to us if it gets places it shouldn't, but life on Earth has evolved to manage it. Life forms that evolved in absence of oxygen might not be able to do that.

10. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Given the prevalence of augments, however, it might be less dangerous that we think a world like ours would be for an Avali. It would be possible to filter out most of the water in the air with some sort of de-humidifier, and temperature wise they could effectively wear a suit similar to the Mr Freeze suit.
    (I believe their survival gear, scout gear, and power armor, the cosmetic items, are used to to that effect)
    Of the two major "flaws" in Avali biology, temperature and water are far easier to deal with.

There is still the problem, of Oxygen, but from what I understood, Avali Biology was being altered. The Wiki information, while currently the most information we have, will be obsolete. How this change affects the Avali and their breathing needs, is yet to be seen. Going off of current information, however... we, as humans, have the means to separate oxygen and hydrogen from water molecules... perhaps the avali can do the reverse, fusing oxygen and another element into a harmless gas? Whether this solution is practical or not, it is an option the Avali could use, albeit infrequently.

11. YellowDemonHurlr

The approach I take for my machinima is that avali soldiers are augmented with a protective layer of dust-like material (inside and out) that keeps out oxygen and and reflects heat (keeps avali's internal heat in and environmental heat out). Their lungs are augmented to separate water vapor into oxygen, which they exhale, and hydrogen for them to breathe.

Of course, breathing hydrogen has since been retconned (and rightly so), but until we know what they *do* breathe, I'm going to stick with it.

A couple side effects: First, because they're breathing hyrdogen from water vapor, they don't have anything to breathe in deserts or, ironically, cold regions. And second, because their heat-reflecting dust works both ways, you can hug an avali and it'll feel warm (because your body heat is reflected back toward you). And you'll get smart dust all over you, in addition to the avali's own natural powder.

12. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought it was methane that was retconned to Hydrogen? Either way, it's still questionable. For the side effects, earth has trace amounts of hydrogen in it's atmosphere, as does mercury. However, a more common gas is nitrogen, at least in quantity on earth, and it exists in mars's atmosphere as well. Not sure if it capable of supporting life though.

13. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

That is impressively well thought out and in depth, bravo.
    Breathing and processing hydrogen would require a body not too dissimilar to a nuclear reactor. And unless there was constant water boiling near them, there wouldn't be enough hydrogen, on Earth anyway, to support them.

14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Nitrogen gas is so stable as N2 that it's practically inert. The amount of energy to break its triple bound is substantial, lightning being one of the few things in nature to do so. Some plants do have the means to do so, usually through resident bacteria. Fun fact: nitrogen fixation usually combines nitrogen with hydrogen to create ammonia, so that's a coincidence.

15. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

I fail to see what that adds to the conversation; I was just bringing up a couple details on the chemistry because I thought it might be relevant when considering it as a 'breathing gas'.

16. YellowDemonHurlr

Because in the reboot, avali have wheels instead of feet. That's why they have to take naps all the time, because they're always tired!

17. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

[​IMG]
    This is how I feel about your egregious punishment.

18. Runa Rosarry

Well, now it seems like were running out of conversations. If only I could do the art that is puns.

19. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

So, let's map.

Upgraded Space Update -> Fleets -> Planets -> Puns

Huh, okay, we are bored. Too bad, it seems like we can't read something in the meantime.

20. YellowDemonHurlr

Here's a question I've been mulling: if the avali hadn't been uplifted, would they be stuck in the stone age (or ice age?) forever? It would've been hard to learn to work metal on Avalon, and being chiefly predators they may not have learned to farm on their own. Without farming, you don't have enough food surplus to buildup civilization or be able to spend time tinkering with inventions instead of hunting.