1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Stardew Valley Xbox One + PS4: Known Issues/Fixes

Discussion in 'Support' started by mollygos, Dec 14, 2016.

1. OminousJackal

OminousJackal Void-Bound Voyager

Playing on xbox one, in the last seven hours I've had the game crash four times. Each time was when the game was attempting to save after resting. The game would crash to the xbox home screen and fail to save, causing me to lose progress. It has become too irritating to play the game at this point, so I'm just putting it down until a patch is released.

I've been excited for this game to come to console for quite some time and to see it arrive in a state that is more annoying than fun to play is disappointing. Please patch the game sooner, rather than later.

To answer all of the questions in the original post:
    It happened while saving each time.
    It didn't crash if I loaded the file and saved again.
    Some of the days it crashed I had stuff in the shipping bin, but some I did not.
    I did not buy any house upgrades, buy a joja membership, or complete any of the rooms in the community center.
    I experience freezing and hitching every single day in game, so yes.
    I have used the exit to title button once thus far in my playthrough.

• Blazenjuggalo

Blazenjuggalo Lucky Number 13

My game freeze and boots my out every time I try to sleep, it's the last day of winter and it won't let save. any help

DynamiteBigB and hurricane1092 like this.
      • FloppyDrywall

FloppyDrywall Space Hobo

Playing on Xbox One. 28th of Winter. No matter what i do that day, whenever I go to bed the game crashes. Happened 7 or so times last night. I only tried twice this morning before giving up.

Edit: I love the game and I'm really happy it's on consoles now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
        • TyFighter

TyFighter Space Hobo

We've had some Snow Days, so I've been diving into this game hard. I've had four crashes that have occurred while sleeping at the end of the day, so I would load up the game again and do the exact same activities and have it save without issue. Fortunately the game is good enough that it really hasn't ruined anything for me, just an annoyance.

• unassuminglocalguy

unassuminglocalguy Lucky Number 13

Ditto

• Viperinegryphon

Viperinegryphon Space Hobo

I got to day 28 in winter year 1 and when I sleep the xbox one version crashes before it saves. I can't go on to year 2.

• 808jasmine

808jasmine Space Hobo

Aloha! Love the game. I am going to share my crash experience and answer the questions. Hoping your team gets it figured out soon. As a programer I get it so good luck!

MY CRASH EXPERIENCE: I play the game and on Winter 28 at the end of the day, when the screen starts to darken, the game crashes and exits the game.
                When I go back in to play, I am forced to re-live the same day just to go through the crash again.

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS: with answers

• Did the game crash before, during, or after saving? 'Before. Well, while going into the next day.'
                • Does it crash if you load the file up and save again? 'Yes'
                • Did you put anything in the shipping bin that day? 'No'
                • Did you buy any buildings or house upgrades from Robin, or complete any bundles, or buy a Joja membership? 'No'
                • Did you experience any freezing/hitching during the in-game day before the crash? 'Yes, a little bit.'
                • Have you used the 'Exit to Title' option at any point? 'No'
                Thanks!

DynamiteBigB likes this.
                • DingleBeret

DingleBeret Space Hobo

The PS4 version of the game has been freezing in my second year. The game freezes if I put stuff in the shipping bin and go to bed, it does not happen every time, but it does happen frequently. I do not experience freezing if I do not sell item in the shipping bin, and go to bed. The freezing always occurs on the menu that shows the total money I earned for the day.

• cjoseph

cjoseph Space Hobo

I had read on here many of the same problems, that I was having. Game game crashes, and saving problems for the xbox version of this game. So I thpught I might do a test, see just how far the game would let me go. The only thing I did the whole game was get out of bed, and walk a couple feet, and get right back in bed, and save the game. I went all the to the last day of winter with no save problems, no crashes, or anything at all happening. That was until I tried to go past the last day of year one, into year 2. It would crash, and send me to the xbox one menu, I would reload the game, and it would do the same thing. My test leads me to believe, there is many problems with the saving part of the game ( mainly the size of of the file, depending on what you have done in that day of the game.) and there is a very big problem with going into the second year, for the simple fact it won't let you progess to the second year. I have tried both ways. Playing the game, and doing things in the game, and just getting out of bed, and back in to save all the way to the end. I love this game, and I hope you can get it fixed very soon. Thanks Chris

MikesDemise likes this.
                    • Bluewolfknight

Bluewolfknight Seal Broken

I play on Xbox one and I'm just finishing up last day of winter to start my second year and as soon as I get in bed to sleep it crashes.

DynamiteBigB and hurricane1092 like this.
                      • MikesDemise

MikesDemise Lucky Number 13

Concerning the Xbox one year 2 crash, do we have any idea if this is being addressed and how long a fix may take?
                        I'm loving the game and I really want to continue playing.
                        I fear if this takes too long people will lose faith in it and either move on to some other game or worse, start demanding refunds and bury it under the carpet. Damaging the reputation of what in my eyes is one of the greatest console indie games of this is generation.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

This is my fear too - after the absolutely incredible amount of work that ConcernedApe has put into the PC version of the game it would be terrible to see it tarnished by these very buggy console ports. Sickhead Games developed the console ports so irrespective of how much it costs to upload a few console patches somebody just needs to suck it up and get the bugs fixed and the patches uploaded pronto.

MikesDemise likes this.
                          • Eerie

Eerie Void-Bound Voyager

Hey guys it's 4:11Am and I'm about to level up my fishing to 6. Problem is... guess what in game day it is? You guest it! December 28th! Game crashes no matter what I try, I'm going to try having my character pass out from exhaustion, just out of curiosity. Then I might do the same in real life. I'm on Xbox one. Love the game s far and have been waiting forever for it to finally launch on console. Hope this will be patched soon.

• Eerie

Eerie Void-Bound Voyager

*update* yeaaaa that didn't work. Going to bed.

• Mikek

Mikek Tentacle Wrangler

I think this is no longer the problem. Afaik neither Sony nor Microsoft charges anything for patches (at least not from indie developers) since the introduction of PS4 and XBOX1. Still I have no idea how could they release something like this and how it actually passed through Sony and Microsoft Q/A.

DynamiteBigB likes this.
                                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

If so then that's great news, we now just have to hope that the bugs are very quickly fixed and the game patched.

I've been wondering that too - it's not as if these bugs rarely occur; going by the large number of understandably annoyed customers the bugs are pretty frequent and easy to reproduce.

Eerie likes this.
                                  • Morningpoop

Morningpoop Space Hobo

Same problem going on here, been trying to play since the day it came out, before the patch everything went pretty well (as far I could notice), after the patch it seems impossible to go rest in your game and save automatically, also impossible to load the game I made before the patch. I am automatically brought to the PS4 menu with a fail occur. Obviously very frustrating bug since any progress you make in the game is simply lost, so i can't find any reason to keep playing this game at the moment. Please fix this asap...

• Timedye

Timedye Subatomic Cosmonaut

They most certainly do. Or at least, they did. It's the reason Phil Fish never bothered to patch FEZ on Xbox 360 despite the fact it had a game breaking save corruption bug. As an Indy dev, Microsoft's fee for putting a patch through cert was too high for him to pay out-of-pocket.

This is also why games that performed softly rarely saw patches. Take a look at the 2008 version of Alone in the Dark: the PS3 version of the game came out six months after the Xbox 360 version, so it had a number of massive fixes, tweaks, and a new level. But Atari never bothered to patch any of that into the 360 version due to the patch fee. There was also an issue with the PS3 version not playing its 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound correctly, but that never got patched for the same reason. The game wasn't successful enough to justify it.

Part of the reason the console manufacturers imposed these fees was to incentivize developers to get their games right before they released them, but I've heard scuttlebutt about how the fees were lifted going into the PS4/Xbox One generation, and this is why we're getting more and more broken games at launch, but I've never been able to find confirmation of this. None of the people who're involved in the industry that I follow (or listen to on podcasts) has talked about what the patching process is like this generation.

I've also heard variations of this that suggest AAA developers are charged for patches while some smaller -- but not all -- developers are not. Or that every developer is now offered a maximum of 1 free patch per year, after which the fee is reinstated (this is to allow for non-costly Day One patches).

But again, I can find no confirmation of the current practice. I only know how it worked throughout the PS3/360 era.

• RicardoG

RicardoG Seal Broken

I understand the need for those save files but come on, there is people how say that the files are 70mb, which by the way are way to big for such a small game, I can do that can we send 70mb by email?

• zombieslayerx23

zombieslayerx23 Lucky Number 13

im on xbox one... my game keeps crashing when i go to sleep on winter 28 .. it will not let me continue... i waited so long for this game i preordered it and been playing it since the hour it was released .. i realy want this fixed ASAP ... i want more games like this on xbox one
                                          please fix it... winter 28 year one game crashes...plus its glitchy like trying to freeze alot in throughout game play.. i have uninstalled and reinstalled to try to fix but still crashes