1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Unlimited Fuel capacity/efficiency

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Preday, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I don't think my ship consumes any more fuel when travelling, and my fuel capacity is somewhere around 35.000 units. Is this a feature? Because it feels more like a bug. The first crewmember I recruited was the mechanic, and I got a technician a bit later on, so they have been almost permanently upgrading the ship for most of the time I spent playing.

It kind of defeats the purpose of fuel if we don't have a reasonable cap on these things. I can't even see the "fuel consumption" icon in the navigation computer anymore when I target a planet to go to.

Are there any plans to change this?

Ankali likes this.
  2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Did you type in /admin at all? That command comes with a lot of other perks like unlimited fuel, energy, hunger and HP.

Maybe you forgot to turn it off?

3. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I never used it

Ankali likes this.
  4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Even for your cloak issue?

5. Haldosprime

Haldosprime Space Hobo

Can confirm issue. No admin was used.

It appears to be caused by Engineer crewman never hitting a cap on efficiency so it just keeps getting lower and lower until it eventually no longer costs fuel.

6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp, at least we got an answer on that

7. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Really?

I don't have crew members so I never knew about that.

8. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I haven't done the cape thing yet.

9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I see

10. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Eh, considering that you don't need to visit moon at all as you can easily obtain fuel in Infinity Express (or, if you're not afraid of exploiting, liquid generator), that just takes out one step. Plus, you can hunt for fuel just for fun, I once did, "end score" was around ~6000 units of fuel (both liquid and crystal) for 3 runs in Survival (so you can't cop out by beaming up from the depth).

11. HarmonicRev

HarmonicRev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well..congrats on solving the world's fuel crisis by creating an engine with 100% efficiency. I think your Engineer deserves a raise for breaking the laws of physics, personally.

12. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

"Littleman9Mew2":
    I did the math, the Technician make fuel efficient by 10%, to make it so that the cost of 500 (the max without mods) will cost zero units, it would take about 66-68 times for the technician to make it cost nothing

13. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I can confirm this. I have not enabled admin at all since the scratch, and my fuel tank is 17,000 and climbing, and I no longer need fuel. The only reason I've been getting fuel anymore is to fill my growing tank. Someone please tell me they used a 32 bit integer for the fuel tank. If it goes past 65,535, then the variable could overflow and wreck the character if it's a 16 bit integer.

14. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

Well, fuel hunting adds to the gameplay. And while I have a rather large water-to-fuel converter built that can supply me indefinitely, I had fun hunting for it on moons and such as well. Which is why I feel this is a problem that should be patched. The fuel efficiency needs a hard cap and so does the fuel tank. As it stands, the numbers are so large now that the text spills out of the fuel readout section of the window.

Ankali and CaptainTaz like this.
  15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Water to fuel converter? How do you do that?

16. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Currently, extremely small amounts of liquid will convert even if pouring it straight on doesn't. Hence:
    [​IMG]

Because of the one stated in the OP however this is pretty pointless with fuel but great for decorating colonies. Right now the Engineer seems to eventually make ships self-sufficient and flying to nearby stars won't cost a single unit. Haven't tested on large distances however.

17. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Euh.... c:
    I don't quite understand how it works ><

18. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If the amount of liquid dropped is too small to be it's own unit and sit on top, it is instead fused into the main body underneath. Hence the water becoming other liquids. Terraria has a similar effect with liquids.

19. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I shall explain:

Essentially what you want is a very fragmented trickle of water into a reservoir of Liquid Fuel (or another liquid). Due to the above-explained phenomenon, the water will become fuel. Here is my setup:

[​IMG]

There's a lot of bells and whistles but the operating part is the 3 broken lines of tiles above the fuel reservoir. Once I open the tiny gates (you can do this with just one gate, I simply made three to fill faster), one tile of liquid (per gate) falling down splits into two half-tiles, which split into four quarter-tiles, which become eight half-quarters, a barely visible amount of liquid. Once these reach the fuel they get turned into fuel themselves, filling the tank.

This setup is buggy, but the rather huge tank I have there fills up extremely quickly with (mostly) fuel. Due to the water not falling perfectly symmetrically, it sometimes forms "pockets" of water enveloped by fuel. But those can be easily removed by harvesting, and in the worst case that's what the drain and reload switches are for. You only need a very small amount of fuel to start, less than a tile in thickness. Just enough to create a visible film in the reservoir.

20. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

What liquids are those two past the Healing Water (which, by the way, can much easily be mass-produced with an infusion chamber)?