Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

This thread is in regards to the announcement here
    If you're looking for the current, playable Avali Triage mod, you want this thread here.

As I posted earlier on the Avali Triage mod:

Since Chucklefish, last I checked, had a soft-cap on the number of pages a thread can have before it has to be locked I've created this thread for purposes of discussion relating to the Avali mod official reboot so we don't end up flooding the triage mod's development thread with tangential stuff.

Expect any short term announcements and official information to appear here!

FAQ:
    Q. Can I help with the mod?
    A. No, the core mod's development is a solo venture (Mostly for creative and content reasons). Frankly so many people have asked to assist that if I were to take them all on I'd be in the position of a full time manager, telling them what to do instead of just doing it myself.

Q. How is the ship being implemented, I only saw one design?
    A. You will begin with the largest ship, but it is critically damaged, only a small amount of the ship has life support. 'upgrading' the ship repairs the damage and restores life support to progressively more of the ship.

Q. I have a really cool idea for a scripted thing!
    A. Any scripted gizmos and ideas will have to wait until after the core mod (Race, armour, weapons, materials, props, ship) is finished, my goal is to finish the core mod before 2017 and any side projects outside of that scope will greatly delay it.

Q. Will there be missions/a story?
    A. Not in the initial, core version of the mod. Story content and missions will almost certainly be added in the long run.

Q. Isn't the mod basically done, i mean, the triage has tonnes of stuff.
    A. I'm unhappy with the implementation of the original mod and a huge amount of it is being completely reworked from the ground up. A legacy pack will be available that contains cut content for those who really miss the old material.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Never, Cryptoid, Exilyth and 22 others like this.
  2. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

How far along are you in the reboot process? Have you begun the rewrite or still in the design phase?

3. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

I am happy to see the mods original author back to make this mod anew,im sorry to hear what happened about stellaris though. In time we shall see these raptors new and improved with all sorts of old but restored and wonderfully new stuff.

If I could ask without meaning to sound impatient but do you have any idea how long this would take being its from the ground up? with old asets it takes off some time given you have a lot of already done artwork.

Additionally what will be not included in this that the triage team have put in the legacy mod already?

4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

As far as I'm aware it's literally just the announcement so far.

5. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Super excited for this! I've been following this mod ever since I first saw it pop up on the forums, and while the Triage version is great and all, I really wanted to see what the original mod author would do with the mod after 1.0 hit.

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Approaching the end of design phase. I've been planning things out, concepting some new stuff, creating a plan of action and seeing what needs to be done. It's a pretty hefty list, this won't be finished in a hurry. While I might have something technically playable in a couple weeks, it'll probably take much longer to have more content than triage

Felixio likes this.
  7. Ser-matticus

Well I and many others look forward to what is in store, all I know that I'm hoping/wishfully thinking is that we have an Avali version of the vanilla stations, since I got back into playing and seeing how the crafting stations work I thought about what would Avali make instead of these versions so for a bit I thought of names and so far only the tiers of the furnace protoypes the Avali would use instead of the bulky vanilla stations.

8. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome to see that the avali mod's being rebooted, can't wait to see what new content you bring to the avali for 1.0, Ryuujin. It's great to have you back! :D

9. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Will you be posting any of the new concept art and updated lore somewhere? The Avali wiki perhaps? It's kinda stagnated in your absence.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Posting to get this thread on my watch list.

Hope to hear more soon!

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I have yet to figure out if it's practical or desirable to replace those with an Avali-specific version. We'll see how it shakes out.

12. hypergen8

hypergen8 Guest

:DDWOO!! I'm so excited! So I do have one thing that I want to ask, in triage they were refiting some of starbound's clothing to fit Avali, I'm wondering if you will do some refitting to.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That sounds like a huge monumental task... it'd be nice to have in the end run, but IMO, that'd probably be rather far down on the TO-DO list.... we already have Avali clothing mods that give you plenty of choices if you are playing an Avali.

The only thing I wish we could do, though, is have some way that you could have Avali and Non-Avali crew on the same ship. You can have a crew of all Avali and set their uniforms to something Avali-friendly, but this screws up non-Avali, and if you do the uniforms for non-Avali, you screw up your Avali crew.

So it's either No Avali Crew or ALL Avali Crew.

Dunno if it is possible to fix that though.

Unless, of course, you can find some way to make the protectorate uniforms display different on Avali and/or modify a few decent clothes sets for uniforms in the same way. Dunno if that's possible or not.

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If you need help creating all the necessary JSON assets or experimenting with new stuff like Tiled for microdungeons/dungeons, I'd be more than willing to help. I am Kave Johnson on Steam.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Remind me to never give you lemons......

Shaadaris likes this.
  16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Admittedly I have not experimented with the new ship features much yet, I havn't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to playing starbound. Are there any similar issues you're aware of I may run into?

17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Hopefully, Chucklefish implements my bodyTypes suggestion sometime soon so that is not an issue and vanilla and Avali could wear the same clothes as long as they are sprited for the species by the mod author.

But, until then, crew member outfits are a bit of an issue.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Issues with Triage? Not really. AFAIK, that's the only major issue I can think of. Fevix and the others did a pretty good job of making the mod nice and stable with very few bugs that I'm aware of. We recently had a small little brouhaha with changing the guns' names and redoing the file structure so that guards on previously spawned planets were carrying around matter manipulators with PGIs hovering nearby (lel...) but that only happens if you had previously generated planets before that update.

I will admit that Avali crew don't look THAT bad wearing protectorate uniforms... but it does look a little funny. Not so funny that they look horribly glitched, though.

Other than that... nothing comes to mind.

19. Ser-matticus

Well If you do I could help with sprite work at the least I did designs for triage but they would need to looked at and refined, when I get back on my computer Sunday I'll show you furnace prototypes if you wish to see them note its all three tiers so a stone, metal, and tech variant
    Potatos then or moon rocks, bet those erichus ghosts would love to meet him too :p

20. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know if It's what we're looking for, but Mr. Foxer released a mod for role specific crew uniforms. Could there perhaps be something in there we can use?