1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial [Updated for 1.0] Server setup for Multiplayer Without Steam!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Hel, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Hi. Welcome to my Updated guide how to set up a Multiplayer Server for Starbound!
    With the release of the bit 1.0, one of the new features was the ability to join people's Starbound games was through Steam. However, some people prefer to set up a server themselves rather then people join through Steam. This tutorial will show you how to start your own servers and get playing online through the "Alternative" method of playing Multiplayer.

What I will cover in this post (In order):

• Starting up your own server
    • Server connectivity [1P]
    • Server Connectivity [2P]+
    • Setting up user accounts for your server
    • With Steam?

Starting up your own Server
    This is just a little different from the old way. Just stuff is re-organised. Everything is located in the Root folder for Starbound.

To get to the Root folder, Right click Starbound in your Steam Library, Press Properties, Local Files and finally Browse Local Files. Or you can follow the pictures below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will take you to the Root Folder. The folders and contents are organised a little differently in the Root folder of Starbound 1.0 comapred to Beta.

Remember that your starbound_server.exe is found in the "win32" folder.
    Your starbound_server.config is found in the "storage" folder.

Open up your "win32" folder and run your starbound_server.exe to open up your server. Once it is open you will see this message at the bottom of the CMD prompt:

[​IMG]

And that's how you get to your server. Don't smile, we're not done yet :p

Server Connectivity (Solo) [1P]
    So you set up your server. But there's a 100% chance you don't know yourself if it works, and there's a bigger chance nobody can connect. Don't worry. You will soon.

You need to test yourself to see if your own server is working. And its quite simple.

You press Start and type in to search "CMD" (Which is your computer's Command Prompt). This varies between systems, and the way to access it can be different. Keep in mind I am using Windows 7 for this tutorial.

If you are not an Administrator on your computer, Right click it and press "Run as Administrator"

You will notice you can start typing in stuff into your CMD. You will want to type "ipconfig" into your command prompt. Causing all your IP configuration to show itself in the CMD. ipconfig will cover all of your possible connections onto your computer (3rd party networking applications, bluetooth capability etc.) and this is just a nuisance in this tutorial. You wanna search around your ipconfig to find "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection".

This shows you your computer's addresses, you have your IPv4 address, IPv6 address, Subnet Mask and a few others. But for this, only your IPv4 address will matter.

[​IMG]

Once you found out your IPv4 address you want to load Starbound.
    • You want to press "Join Game"
    • Select your Character
    • The Server address is your IPv4 address.
    If this is done right you will be playing in your server.

Server Connectivity (Multiplayer) [2P]+
    Now I know what you're thinking. What's the point of setting this up if my friends cannot join. Good question. Our next step is getting your server open to your friends. Right now only you can join it.

There's 2 ways you can make it go fully online.
    • 3rd Party Networking Applications
    • Port Forwarding
    Method 01: Port Forwarding​

I will sugarcoat Port Forwarding first. Port Forwarding is where you make a specific port on your computer open to receive information within that port. Starbound has a port. Generally everything has a port. But there's only around 65,000 of them. You don't need to know all of them, assuming you will keep Starbound on its own default port, and you WILL keep Starbound on its default port, Starbound's port number is 21025.

Port Forwarding is different between different modems, and its because of this I will not upload screenshots. However, this tutorial sums it up quite nicely. The 2nd link is a open port checker. This will check if the port is open.
    To check your port is open you will need your public IP address, if you ask Google, they will respond with your IPv4.

If everything is done right and your 21025 port is open your friends should be able to join in by finding a game with your PUBLIC IP. If not, recheck your settings.

Note its simple, but something so annoying to get right. If you keep trying everything and it still doesn't work, consider a 3rd party application, which is below.

Method 02: 3rd Party Applications​

Either if you were mind-boggled by the Port Forwarding method or it just doesn't wanna work for you, this method should, and its a lot less technical.

You need a 3rd Party Application to make a Network for you. The 2 most popular Applications are Hamachi and Evolve. The Download links are provided below, Take your pick. Although I am using Hamachi for the tutorial.
    Once you have installed your selected app you need to create a network. Hamachi users can follow the screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn't matter if you or a friend starts the Network. But if you create one, your friends will need to join it.

Friends joining your network will be able to see if the network is online or offline, if it is online (dunno why you would wanna turn ift offline) then you and your friends can see who is online as well.

Similar to Port Forwarding, You connect to your server. If your friend is in your Hamachi network they connect via the IPv4 address provided by Hamachi: Which is found next to the giant on button.

[​IMG]

And that's it! You're all done. Now you and your friends can play together without connecting through Steam.

Take the time to read these... Please.
    • Port Forwarding will either work or it won't, it's just one of those. If it doesn't use a 3rd Party App.
    • Hamachi can have connection issues. Its known for it. Maybe try out Evolve if you picked Hamachi and it doesn't work
    • Some routers may not support Port Forwarding. If it doesn't, use Hamachi/Evolve.
    Setting up User Accounts in your Server
    This part is entirely optional, and only really used if you want to become an Administrator in your server. But I will show you. Your friends do not need to have an account in the server to play. But if you want Accounts for friends, you got the know how below:

Go to the Root folder of Starbound (Screenshots above to Set up your server) and open the "storage" folder. Remember me saying about the starbound_server.config? You need that.

You need an App called Notepad++ (Download link provided)

Open your starbound_server.config with your server CLOSED using Notepad++

Press CTRL+F to search, search for "users" without quote marks.

Underneath the users line copy and paste this code.

Code:
    "Cady" : {
          "admin" : false,
          "password" : "password2"
        },
        "Helen" : {
          "admin" : true,
          "password" : "password1"
        }

Here I made a quick vid to show you how to set up accounts properly.

• You can change the account names, admin status and passwords here. To make someone an admin type true on the admin line.
    • Copy the code layout to add more than 2 user Accounts.
    • Remember to save once you are finished.
    • Below shows you how the code SHOULD look in your file. If it's different, it won't work

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then switch your Starbound Server back on and try to connect to your server and log into your account.
    • Note that if any line of the code is incorrect the game may not work.
    • Note that also you separate values and characters, not with the spacebar, but with Tab (The button next to Q on an English QWERTY Keyboard)
    • You ALWAYS end account data on a } and not ], same with starting data.
    If you assigned your account to be an Admin you will know for sure if it has worked fully when you log in and type in /admin. If it gives you Admin privileges (says in the chat if you have them) then it has worked.

With Steam?
    Connecting with Steam cannot be simpler. Just make sure you and your friends have this ticked and you are all good to go.
    • Launch Starbound
    • Go into Options
    • Tick the box to enable Multiplayer through Steam (Friends will need this ticked also)
    • Go to your friend's Steam Profile
    • Press "Join Game"
    • Pick your character and have fun
    If you have any questions or comments about this tutorial then feel free to leave some feedback. I'll be sure to update this regularly if I need to.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

Thanks for making such a useful thread!

Hel likes this.
  3. Birdcrown

Birdcrown Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, thanks for the great thread!
    But I had trouble at the very beginning, as I could not join my own server, before I ever made it work for my friends. It came up with a pane talking about it could not connect to the server, and said "NetWorkException"... Could you tell me what I did wrong? I am still going to continue through the steps, but I just wanted to know if this would effect it later on in the process...
    Thanks for everything.
    -Birdcrown

4. Hel

If this Network exception is preventing you from joining your own server then its not gonna let anyone else join it

5. Luzyscythe

Luzyscythe Void-Bound Voyager

when i try to add the users my servers just rewrite the document back to the original state without the user commands, please help :( cant seem to find a fix anywhere

6. Hel

Change it while the server is closed. It kept happening to me. I closed it and worked.

7. Syfe_Fireshard

Syfe_Fireshard Pangalactic Porcupine

(pasting from a topic i just made cause im in a rush to get this solved)

Im joining my OWN dedicated server, yes i have my ports forwarded, and yes everything else is set up like i normally would. but whats up with this mismatch error? doesnt the server run off my mods anymore? (note: im not using any workshop content, only stuff from this site, including a few of mine).

8. Hel

I don't use mods, so I have no idea tbh

9. Hel

To become an Admin you gotts set up and log in with a User Account, which there's a tutorial in the post

10. VitaminK

VitaminK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for this!

Only question I have is about servers w/ mods. I have it set so toons with different mods enabled can join, it hasn't caused any issues so far but I am afraid it will cause some errors or something depending on what they affect... How do I add mods to the server? I read you just copy them over but none of the subscribed mods I have are in the 'mod' folder in my Starbound directory? Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.

11. ShaneCortez

ShaneCortez Void-Bound Voyager

Im still having problems setting up this account thing
    We save it but then after we check it, its gone and we have to type it all back. Im really confused is users also server account and is the account name suppose to be you're characters name.

12. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Please post a copy of your (edited) config before it gets overwritten. Make sure to replace any passwords and use the spoiler tags, please.

13. Tegz0rz

Tegz0rz Void-Bound Voyager

Hiya, so... for some reason this isn't working for me. whenever I launch the server.exe, it doesn't get any further past a message saying [ Root: Writing runtime configuration to '..\storage\starbound_server.config' ]. Do you know why this might be happening? I haven't managed to find a solution to this problem anywhere.

[Info] Root: Preparing Root...
    [Info] Root: Done preparing Root.
    [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\assets\'
    [Info] Root: Loaded Configuration in 0.000300912 seconds
    [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\mods\'
    [Warn] Root: Unrecognized file in asset directory 'mods_go_here', skipping
    [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'base' at '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'
    [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\user'
    [Info] Assets digest is 835de2a06240fd303c5cfc854388f3b67407dac8e006f903343715672b0705a3
    [Info] Root: Loaded Assets in 1.68577 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded NameGenerator in 1.68711 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded PlantDatabase in 0.0512998 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded ObjectDatabase in 0.234662 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded MonsterDatabase in 0.0896947 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded ProjectileDatabase in 0.293927 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded StagehandDatabase in 0.00124471 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded VehicleDatabase in 0.00271014 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded NpcDatabase in 0.0358156 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded PlayerFactory in 0.00224594 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded VersioningDatabase in 0.00041608 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded EntityFactory in 0.00453871 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded ParticleDatabase in 0.0479455 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded ImageMetadataDatabase in 6.09524e-06 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded MaterialDatabase in 0.234461 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded TerrainDatabase in 0.00433019 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded BiomeDatabase in 0.0233913 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded LiquidsDatabase in 0.00052772 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded StatusEffectDatabase in 0.00495607 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded DamageDatabase in 0.0842827 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded EffectSourceDatabase in 0.00444953 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded FunctionDatabase in 0.00230496 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded TreasureDatabase in 0.0182774 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded DungeonDefinitions in 0.165785 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded TilesetDatabase in 2.98346e-05 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded StatisticsDatabase in 0.00194149 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded EmoteProcessor in 5.61404e-05 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded SpeciesDatabase in 0.00476295 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded QuestTemplateDatabase in 0.0105156 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded AiDatabase in 0.00126941 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded TechDatabase in 0.000829594 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded CodexDatabase in 0.00368473 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded BehaviorDatabase in 0.0554417 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded DanceDatabase in 0.00209708 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded SpawnTypeDatabase in 0.0045201 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded RadioMessageDatabase in 0.00223118 seconds
    [Info] Root: Loaded ItemDatabase in 2.0111 seconds
    [Info] Server Version 1.0.4 (windows x86_64) Source ID: b3bf0442fb27f1e8b70905a6be79032c02fa5582 Protocol: 724
    [Info] UniverseServer: Acquiring universe lock file
    [Info] UniverseServer: Loading settings
    [Info] UniverseServer: Starting UniverseServer with UUID: 66f812b470c7060d3a4d22dadf972f40
    [Info] UniverseServer: listening for incoming TCP connections on 0.0.0.0:21025
    [Info] Root: Writing runtime configuration to '..\storage\starbound_server.config'

14. Marandola12

Marandola12 Void-Bound Voyager

Many people are with the same problem, and I didn't find nothing to resolve it. Let's see what the devs will do.

15. Hel

Are you making the changes while the server and the game is closed? If either of them are open I found it never works for me.

The first thing I can think of is are you using the right Starbound_server.exe in the first place? There will be 2 in the root folder now with the 1.0 release, the original beta one should still be there, but its not used. This path has the right server.exe to use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32

If you are using the right one I will have to look into this a lil more.

16. xTheFallenOnesx

xTheFallenOnesx Void-Bound Voyager

Not quiete sure why i can't connect. The server doesn't even recognise an attempt at trying to log into it. I even port forwarded to the 21025. My public IP nor the Local IP or the Ipv4 IP Will work, none of them even give the server a nudge to say someone is at the door. I have the Assest mismatch checked and even added the Server users section in the configs. I'm not getting any budges from it at all. Even P2P With something like Hamachi did not work.

17. Hel

Is Starbound and everything allowed through your firewall?

18. marcos010397

marcos010397 Space Hobo

ola meu stabound quando eu entro vou em opções e o 'multiplayer via steam friends' esta cinza e não da para marcar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  19. Hel

We require all posts to be in English, or provided with an English translation. I provided one this time, but please remember to include your own.

As for your issue, are you using any mods? Is Starbound allowed through your Firewall?

20. Hel

After a small hiccup with people (including myself) struggling to set up accounts. I amended the code and provided a video explaining how to set it up.

Not bad for 2am.