Tool [All versions][Win/Linux] ModPackHelper

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dolan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks, you're right. For the Linux version there is no more 32/64 bits versions.
    So then, I made little changes to be really compatible (this time) with the 1.0 release.
    Changes I (and flying sheep) saw :
    - "mods" folder moved back to Starbound root folder
    - 32/64 asset_packer and asset_unpacker for Linux merged to "Starbound/linux"
    - ".modinfo" file system changed to "_metadata" file system (Seems just to be same json file only renamed)
    - Users pak file extension changed from "modpak" to simply "pak"
    - "asset_packer" required again only 2 arguments : <folder_to_pack> and <mod_name>

I've override the current ModPackHelper_v0.10.bat and ModPackHelper_v0.10.sh on my Dropbox, so that links doesn't changed (Date change to 2016-07-29 at prompt).
    So I hope it will work without any problem for everyone and you'll enjoy it ;)

Pohany likes this.
  2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If I may make a request, could you make a version of ModPackHelper which also unpacks modpack files? I great number of old mods still use that format, and having some way to unpack a modpack file into its base assets would be amazing.

Pohany likes this.
  3. Dolan

Alright Mackinz, I will look at it.
    So, (I didn't try it), .modpak files are still compatible with v1.0 ?

Doing something like scanning for both .pak and .modpak file when choosing "unpacking".
    Might also do the same for packing. Looking for both .modinfo and _metadata files.

4. Mackinz

No, which is why old mods need to be unpacked and repacked to the pak format after updating their aasets.

5. Dolan

After being stuck with unpacking old modpak files. I realised that the new asset_unpacker does not recognise anymore old files.
    "Exception caught: (AssetSourceException) Packed assets file format unrecognized!"
    So, while asset_unpacker won't be compatible with old modpak file format, I won't be able to anything more.

This thread on Steam is related to this compatibility trouble :
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/367540/discussions/0/366298942099747939/

6. Mackinz

If the new asset_unpacker does not recognise them, could I interest you in the old ones? Thanks to @v6ooo, I have obtained a copy of Glad Giraffe unpackers for all the OS files.

7. Dolan

Thanks but in my case I have not any modpak file to extract.
    I could be able to propose it on my dropbox with a custom ModPackHelper allowing to also extract old modpack if old asset_unpacker is present.
    So finally, yes, give it to me and I'll try to do something for allowing extraction of actual pak file and old modpak files.

8. Mackinz

I'll hit you up in a conversation. :)

9. Crisium

Crisium Cosmic Narwhal

Hello Dolan it's really nice to see the modpackhelper is still out and about :)

10. Mackinz

Dolan, @Fevix had a suggestion on IRC:

I'd really like to see that.

11. Veleno

Veleno Space Hobo

It always says that its unable to find asset pack file

12. Lexicon-Prime

Lexicon-Prime Pangalactic Porcupine

I concur, This is what happens to me when I try... And yes I have it in the same folder I have my mods in.
    #######################################
    #### ModPackHelper v0.10 By Dolan #####
    ##### Starbound 1.0 compatibility #####
    ############# 2016-07-28 #############
    ##### Using Win32 asset_packer ########

Choose action ?
    0] Unpack the assets (To start modding)
    1] Pack mods
    2] Unpack mods

Choice : 1
    There is no mods to pack

#######################################
    #### ModPackHelper v0.10 By Dolan #####
    ##### Starbound 1.0 compatibility #####
    ############# 2016-07-28 #############
    ##### Using Win32 asset_packer ########

Choose action ?
    0] Unpack the assets (To start modding)
    1] Pack mods
    2] Unpack mods

13. Lexicon-Prime

I've found out where it's at. I fixed it.

14. Lexicon-Prime

for notepad++ users:
    edit modpackhelper with notepad++
    goto line 9 [ set modinfo_file=_metadata ] and change it to [ set modinfo_file=metadata ]
    then goto line 84 [ if exist "%starbound_mods_folder%%%~nxD\%modinfo_file%" ] and modify it to [ if exist "%starbound_mods_folder%%%~nxD\*.%modinfo_file%" ]
    save...
    that's it, you're done.

15. Dolan

Hi Lexicon-Prime, after some search I found this thread talking about metadata file format.
    I thought that the only file format was "_metadata" but ".metadata" is also accepted.
    So I changed my script in consequence with the same modification than you pointed it,, looking for any file containing "metadata".
    Thanks for notifiying it ;)

16. Kazzerk

Kazzerk Seal Broken

isnt working for me, I try pack my mod and i can't :/ "there is not mods to pack" I have _metadata file, what im doing wrong? i need put "mynamemod_metadata" or what? :/

17. Mackinz

Where did you put ModPackHelper and where is your _metadata file?

18. Lexicon-Prime

_metadata should be named .metadata and that file goes into your root custommod folder (what ever you named it).
    The modpacker program needs to be placed in your mods folder located in your main starbound directory, and your custommod also needs to be in that same folder for the packer to work properly.

19. PeppehGreens

PeppehGreens Subatomic Cosmonaut

So it's not working for me. .9 finds the mod but give me this error when I try to pack it:
    Sun 08/21/2016 15:26:25.76
    The system cannot find the path specified.

.10 literally can not find any mods in my mods folder.

Can somebody please help?

I have my .metadata and my modpacker is in my mods folder where my mod is located.

20. Mackinz

metadata files have to be in individual mod folders, i.e. /starbound/mods/*modname*/.metadata, and ModPackHelper must be placed in the root mods folder, i.e. starbound/mods/ModPackHelper.bat

Lexicon-Prime likes this.