1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What race do I choose!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ant1ant, Jul 22, 2016.

1. ant1ant

ant1ant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This has been the hardest part of the game. I can't choose a race. The only race I have used was Avian but later I got bored of it. Also, please don't start screaming "HUMAN HUMAN HUMAN" and also give me a reason. (A good one.)

2. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Races don't have much of an impact. It's mostly the appearance of player and spaceship that differs.
    Depends on your taste.

3. ant1ant

My taste does not fit with any of the races.

4. Another Kevin

That's unfortunate.

5. Hiroku

Hiroku Void-Bound Voyager

i say hylotl, ive noticed that there crafted weapons are more on the damage side, aswell as the armor. plus the armor and weapons look badass, i mean c,mon there japanese! that means katanas and samurai armor! :rofl:

and dont worry, you wont look like a fish for long, the armor covers it up. i was worried id look horrendus but the armor was well worth it

6. Another Kevin

Racial weapons aren't a thing in 1.0.

R.I.P. Katana

7. Hiroku

Hiroku Void-Bound Voyager

WHAT!? NOOAAAWWWW! i didnt know, i just started. why would they do that to my beloved katfish!? no seriously i loved the look of that katana

8. ant1ant

The only races I got close to liking were Avian, Glitch, Novakid, and kinda Floran and Hylotl. Humans are boring, and I don't like monkeys.

9. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Why did they get rid of the racial weapons?

10. ant1ant

I run 1.0 with only 5-10 fps. :(

11. Another Kevin

No official reason's known yet, sorray.

12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Because they were mere reskins of each other, so they probabily decided to save a bit of space and IDs for future updates by removing them or something.

13. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Save space on reskins? Those things probably took up next to nothing for the game.

14. lars911

lars911 Void-Bound Voyager

My favorite race is of course Florans, they're like the Elfs of starbound, the florans are :
    - Beautiful.
    - All mighty and powerful.
    - Tribal
    - Fearsome.
    - A floran can technically live forever unless killed ( able to live for centuries without aging at all, proof: greenfinger ).
    - Can adopt and use high technology, proving to be a highly intelligent race.

But of course that's just my opinion, humans come second...

other than that I am not fond of the other races.

be a floran ! be at the top of the food chain :) a predator not a prey.

15. Paladin Aeldrel Embershade

Paladin Aeldrel Embershade Aquatic Astronaut

the apex... don't choose em there tier 8 ship looks ugly, choose floran or glitch
    like lars said Beautiful.
    - All mighty and powerful.
    - Tribal
    - Fearsome.
    - A floran can technically live forever unless killed ( able to live for centuries without aging at all, proof: greenfinger ).
    - Can adopt and use high technology, proving to be a highly intelligent race.

But of course that's just my opinion, humans come second...

other than that I am not fond of the other races.

be a floran ! be at the top of the food chain :) a predator not a prey - Lars911

yeah and heres glitch

-medieval
    -huge castles
    -castle ship
    - they should be able to breath underwater and on no oxygen
    -they said there emotion or something before they speak
    and heres the cons
    -wouldn't be nice to have s*x with. I mean its a facking robot

lars911 likes this.
  16. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Florans are also my favorites, for purely stylistic reasons (they're living, barbaric, elf-like, carnivorous plants, for crying out loud).

However, it really saddens me that there is no point in choosing. All races but Novakids are absolutely identical mechanically, and Novakids' shtick is that they start with guns instead of swords. There's otherwise no special abilities, no special gear, no special ties to any parts of the overarching questline that touches on every race in sequence, no special nothing. Just reskins of the same things, and slightly different ship configurations that barely have any meaning.

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

the only reaosn now is esthetics of your character, his possible in ship pet and the ship itself.

anything else is not existing anymore. No race specific abilities, no race specific quests as they were said to exist.

if no race fits you, go look for soem of the mods, maybe they have one you may like.

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Whoaness

Whoaness Subatomic Cosmonaut

I picked Novakid because the ship doesn't require jumping, so my pet is free to run across without getting stuck.

Also, Snugget is so cute.

zzzx and stfuen like this.
  19. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

If you can't choose a race, choose a ship. My favorites are the Floran, Glitch and Hylotl ships. Human comes close. Check the wiki, you can see level 8 ships there clicking on each race's ship.

lars911 likes this.
  20. korda

korda Pangalactic Porcupine

HUMAN HUMAN HUMAN

Jokes aside, I prefer humans in most games where I can choose species. Perhaps it's easier for me to relate to human character? Or it's because humans are often 'underdogs' when it comes to being interesting? (they are often used as reference point and therefore portrayed as 'average', though some games do make exceptions from this rule).