Tutorial Installing mods for Starbound 1.0

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

too true.
    i don't agree with it, but i'm hopeful they'll do something better
    xD and if not, i can always just get used to it
    as much as i don't like it..

if all else, there's always mods

anyway, guess i'll be waiting on nightly to get fixed again before i can play it
    >.<
    thank you for confirming o/

2. SuperMarioKain

SuperMarioKain Void-Bound Voyager

I did all this... But starbound wont open when i have the mods in. Help pls?

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If you are installing mods which are sufficiently outdated, then they will cause crashes when Starbound is loading. Go through your mods and find the ones last updated a long time ago (at least 10 months ago) and delete them.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Removing sticky as post is outdated - will create a new post tomorrow.

5. Mackinz

Why not just update this one?

6. The | Suit

Trying to create fresh threads for 1.0 rush. So there isn't any confusion with previous questions.

7. Mackinz

This thread will be necroed in the future and cause confusion anyway. Only solutions would be to delete this thread entirely or update it.

8. The | Suit

Not unless I lock it. Which I will when the new thread is up.

9. The | Suit

Now with Steam Workshop - installing mods is as simple as hitting subscribe.
    For users who use the GoG version though - you will need to do it manually or for those who prefer not to use Steam Workshop.

Mods will come either as a .pak file or will be compressed as a .zip or .rar file.

.PAK
    If the mod you downloaded came as .pak file then the modder has made your life easy. All you need to do is drop the file in your mods folder.

pak.png

.ZIP or .RAR
    If you have a .zip or .rar file though you have a few steps. If it is a .zip file most modern operating systems can open the file without a 3rd party program. If for some reason your operating system can't you will need to download a file archiver tool such as,

Windows
    Mac
    Once you have extracted the file you need to see if it is a .pak file inside, or is it a folder.
    If it is a .pak file then simply place the .pak as detailed earlier.

Now the next step is reasonably easy with a bit of common sense but also is the step where many users generally make a mistake. All you need to be wary of is where the .metadata file is located.

Correct Way to Install.

unpak1.png

You will notice the .metadata file is in the first folder inside mods.
    When you launch the game and open the mod manager you should see the mod if done properly.

Incorrect way to Install.

pak3.png

You will notice in the first folder there is no .metadata file. Instead it is in a folder 2 branches below the mods folder.

pak2.png

Because it is 2 folders down - the mod will not load properly. Remove the extra folder ( DO NOT just move the .metadata file ) shown as an example above by moving the 2nd folder directly into the mods directory. So it matches the correct format shown earlier.

If you follow the steps correctly you will have no issues installing mods.
    If you need any further clarifications - I strongly suggest contacting the mod author as some mods may require different methods to install. Contact the mod author through the discussion page in the mod overview page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  10. Alceris

Alceris Pangalactic Porcupine

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  11. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Might also be worth noting for our Linux friends that 7-zip has a port for them. Otherwise, Xarchiver is my suggestion.

12. GeekBoy

GeekBoy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a probem, I cannot unpack an old .modpak file of mine with the modpacker v0.10. the cmd tells me it can not find the file alltrough I can select (to unpack) it.

13. The | Suit

modpacker is not made by CF - use the appropriate thread for support if you want to use a 3rd party tool.
    Otherwise just create a batch file with the line

Code:
    "location of unpacker" "location of file to unpack" "location of where to unpack it"

14. GeekBoy

thank you for your help, I managed to get it done.
    btw: does the code u gave me there work for the packer too?

15. The | Suit

In reverse yes - location of packer - folder to pack - <where to place it>filename.pak

16. Awbawlisk

Awbawlisk Phantasmal Quasar

I have this issue as well. How did you overcome it? I'm having a difficult time figuring this out.

17. GeekBoy

I simply followed the instructions The | Suit gave me.
    create a batch file with the line :
    "location of unpacker" "location of file to unpack" "location of where to unpack it"

example:
    "E:\SteamAndStuff\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Users\GeekBoy\Desktop\starfix\KawaiiStuff.modpak" "C:\Users\GeekBoy\Desktop\starfix"

18. Awbawlisk

Aaaannnd fuck me, it didn't work. Thanks for at least replying though. I guess I have to redo the entire thing now.

19. GeekBoy

sry fogot to mention, I did it with an older starbound version I still had saved as backup, not the 1.0
    --- Post updated ---
    I tried it too with the new version that I just downloaded , it does not work.

20. Awbawlisk

Yeah, it's good you see my issues now. On the other hand though, I'm well in luck though, as I had remembered that I had a personal SB mods folder somewhere that featured all of my mods in unpacked format. So I was able to get it working that way.. hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.