Sun question

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Twiganator, Aug 26, 2012.

?

should you be able to travel to the suns of starbound.

1. heck yes

34.1%
  2. no

65.9%
  1. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

from the posts i've seen it seems people find this very stupid... however some people that think it is stupid also think it would be fun to travel to stars just for a laugh of getting exploded or vapirized. and a few see it as something cool to do.

Thats about
    75% think stupid
    20% think fun to travel there for the laugh
    5% think you can do things on it and that would be cool
    (just a rough estimation, could be different)

Now all these comments have given me a few ideas about the whole sun thingy.

battle ground maybe? (someone said boss fight and that gave me ideas)
    pvp arena?

I'm sure everyone here knows oddessy games. now i'd bet $20,000 that if you could travel to the sun they would make something awesome out of it.

now everyone is saying plasma this plasma that. now heres what i was thinking there are probaly going to be plamsa guns, and maybe plasma rockets or engines. now how would you get fuel/ammo for these things.sun maybe, maybe that would be an extremely dangerous way to ge plasma fuel but whe you go there you always harness a ton of plasma.

Now here is something we could all do . if there were a super nova (i read all of these comments and you guys give me lots of ideas)
    and you could harness that energy and make a gun that would take up the space of an evtire planet. that could destroy anything. or just a really awesome rocket launcher that fires ammuniton equal to the force of a necular missle.

and the last thing would be to use the sun as a giant furnace. you guys says it melts ANYTHING so lets say there is a mineral on another planet that can withstand EXTREME heat except for that of stars. maybe thats the only way you could make armor and weapons out of this mineral. going to the center of the sun, and since its no a solid you can fly in there. i mean you COULD go to the center of your planet but from what if heard the tunnel would just colapse on itself unless you have a ton of something to support the walls of the tunnel. but that would take months of ingame work.

oh and the last thing when did i ever say i wanted to mine minerals on the sun. Whose idea was that, NOT mine. now i think we can all agree that that is just silly... minerals lolololololololololololololololol. minerals...

2. VandBRT

VandBRT Subatomic Cosmonaut

You get it wrong. The only temperature that outright can't sustain life is 0 degrees on Kelvin scale. Everything else is a fair game for life as we understand it, not just some weird energy-beings that contradict physics. Sure, this life won't be carbon-based, but there is a theoretical possibility of existence of some element that could be a basis for theoretical existence of such life.
    Sure, there may not be such lifeform in our iteration of universe, but it IS possible. And "it is silly" is not an argument, sorry. Napoleon thought that steam power was silly.

I think that a combat area in close proximity to a star would be cool (duh!). Like, a spaceship or a space station on decaying orbit. With a giant uber-glass pane or some other hot stuff (d-oh!).

-EDIT-
    Damn, sorry I got riled up over this. We can agree that implementation of local star as a location is completely unnecessary and leave it at that, I think.

3. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Why ask what 'if' when it's been confirmed the player is a humanoid life form of some kind, and not a trans-dimensional being.

Pure energy doesn't even meet the qualifications to be considered anywhere near "alive" anyway... I have no idea why you guys keep throwing out random suggestions for the game that won't even help with the game one bit. *sigh*

4. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

I'm just spewing out ideas like a geyser spews out water~ :3
    I never said the player should go there, either.
    Besides, metals, plastics, etc. don't meet the requirements either but in fiction, sapient robots, A.I.s, and similar such things can be a great addition to the story!
    :3 I don't see why a race of beings made out of pure energy, some race that has transcended to a higher plain of reality, etc. could not add compelling drama, plot, and the like.

5. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

I think this idea is silly. Think, In Star Trek, they explain space travel by having advanced machines that can go past the speed of light, believable. they also say that by going around the sun loads of times, you can achieve time-travel. Eh, maybe crossing the line but, believable. But I can't believe that there would be ANY material resistant enough with a good enough cooling system for you to travel to the sun.

6. VandBRT

Why? The material itself is possible. This material may not be present in our iteration of universe (finite, as I tend to believe), but maybe the next iteration will have one.

7. Eddy Steel

If loads of people think the idea is silly, nothing is going to convince them otherwise. I believe earlier people were talking about suspension of disbelief, this kind of thing just isn't believable.

VandBRT likes this.
  8. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

but time travel is...

9. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Well, if you went at the speed of light for about a week, you would travel around 100 years in the future.

10. Eddy Steel

11. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

thats the future if we could travel at the speed of light then that is very believable for obvious reasons. i'm talking about the past.

actually forget what i said in the blue text and explain.

12. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Well, all we need is a train that goes around the entire world (creating a big loop around the world) that goes at the speed of light. And with a sci-fi setting, that wouldn't be very hard.

13. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

no i meant explain how going around the world at the speed of light would propel you into the future

14. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

The going around the world part doesn't matter. If a train (or other vehicle) is nearing the speed of light, time will actually slow down for the train and its contents to prevent them from reaching the speed of light. Hope this helped

15. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

thx :D

16. VandBRT

Some eggheads claim they found traces of radiation originating from "other universe", thus confirming theory of multiverse. If this is not a miscalculation or a fake, then "travelling to the past" may be a LITTLE more achievable - by traveling into another universe, where situation reflects ours x years ago.
    And that theory about relativistic speeds and the whole "the faster you go the more force you need" doesn't work on particles and have never been tested on anything larger. That's one of the things I don't like about general/special relativity theory.

17. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

fun bit about traveling near the speed of light...

Nuclear Fusion, it can occur between nearly any two molecules, like say... a random particle of rock in space and the hull of your ship, setting off a chain reaction and killing your entire crew, at complete and unpredictable random.

Science: crushing the dreams of sci-fi fans everywhere.

18. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

If lightspeed doesn't work then you just have to invent a material that can resist getting stretched by a black hole's gravity and orbit near one of those for a while. It's not as effective (and certainly less plausible) but it gets the job done. Although, the distance away from a black hole where time-space is warped may extend beyond the point where spaghettification (actual scientific term, google it if you don't believe me) occurs, which would make this a lot easier. It's also useful to note that the closer you are to a black hole the slower time is for you, which I think would make it easier to make more fine tuned jumps through time. Either that or you invent an energy based shield that deflects stuff away from your ship.

Any kind of "energy shield" that surrounds an object would have to be implemented as a plasma field around an object in real life. This could be accomplished by creating an incredibly strong magnetic field around the ship and then ejecting plasma into the space between the ship and the strongest point of the magnetic field (the physics behind this is REALLY weird/ science fiction). The magnetic field would contain the plasma, creating a field/barrier around the ship. The only other thing you would need is some kind of device on the exterior of your ship to provide energy to keep the plasma as a plasma. The only drawback to this system is that you would need a constant supply of power greater than that used to power the entire USA (I'm estimating, at this point it's useless to try looking it up). None of this is important in the context of a video game but I think it's kind of interesting. (Note: this is a combination of prior knowledge, conjecture, and "believable" science fiction)

Now I'll tie the previous paragraph into the topic of this thread. Plasma can be created from any element in the universe, as it is created by putting so much heat energy into the atoms that they go "beyond" a "normal" gas and the all of the electrons are stripped from their orbits and are free to fly around in the gas. Hydrogen, having only one electron (already in an unstable orbit, and I'm not going to get into diatomic stuff) is by far the easiest element to turn into a plasma. Hydrogen is also conveniently the most abundant element in the universe, it's so abundant that it's what stars are made of. Stars are also so nice that they already have the hydrogen in the form of a plasma for you (though it would be exceedingly hard to collect it without it reverting to a normal gas). And that is a reason you would want to go to a star.

I could (vaguely) explain a system for collecting the hydrogen plasma, but I'll be nice and keep the wall of text from getting any bigger. ;)

Hope this helped.

Edit:
    It's not a custom title, you get that title when you have 13 trophy points.

19. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

you my sir, have no brain a star/sun is made of hydrogen and helium not plasma...

20. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

Plasma is a state of matter when a substance becomes so heated it can no longer be considered a gas.
    Please don't go around insulting others~