Modding Discussion What happened to Storm?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Davrial, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Davrial

Davrial Big Damn Hero

When I first joined looking for mods I saw a lot of posts talking about all this new fancy stuff once Storm came out, and I also heard that SMAPI was going to die...but instead almost nothing was made for Storm and SMAPI lives on.
    What happened? Is Storm officially dead? Why is it now dead? Why was it so much more hyped over SMAPI if so few people ended up doing anything with it?

taintedwheat likes this.
    • Axis-

Axis- Void-Bound Voyager

I'm only an outsider to this issue, but here's my understanding:

1) SMAPI's dev abandoned the project because he thought Storm looked like a better option.

2) Storm failed to produce a remotely stable build, or even documentation.
      People are also saying that the Storm's "mastermind" is abrasive, and that he's forced the burden of keeping the API afloat on his two helpers.

3) SMAPI is back in development as the dominant mod API.
      Everyone has already jumped ship, so you shouldn't lose any important mods when you switch to SMAPI.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
      • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Dude. feel you, was bitching about this interally a few days ago.

I don't personally know the orginator of storm, but by following his posts, he was just the hype man for his own product but wasn't willing to work on it.

Which is fine. Just make it more apparently clear that Storm isn't viable on it anymore. Like that one screenshot of irc chat between zoyrn and him? Ugh... it showed him as not just lazy, but doesn't really care about the mod is out.

I wish there was a more clear sticky on the forums explaining the change back.

Besides. Anyone who proclaims themselves as handsome in their username is probably just trying to comfort themselves and are not that handsome.

• Nightscaled

Nightscaled Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks for the info you guys!

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep, Axis is right :)
            As for SMAPI, I'm currently in the progress of writing a new API (Not that I'm going rouge from SMAPI or anything :) ) which incorporates some of the features which made Storm powerful. It'll be backwards compatible with most SMAPI mods though, so no need to worry about that.

s0118p, Davrial, Drogean and 3 others like this.
            • awesomesauce40

awesomesauce40 Void-Bound Voyager

Don't wanna pressure you or anything, but I'm curious about when you think you can get that out. Sounds really cool

• ClxS

Modders will be able to have a look at it from Sunday night, then it'll take a while they have a look and add new things they want. But it'll be soon™

awesomesauce40 likes this.
                • ClxS

Your timeline isn't really right. The original creator of SMAPI went on to work on Storm before it was even announced. I kept up maintaining SMAPI just so it wouldn't end up in a situation where there were no functional API for the months it'd take Storm to become stable enough.

To be a little blunt, Storm had a lot of technical issues which would eventually crop up in addition to it being a pain in the ass to work with. These weren't so much issues with the implementation which would be fixable, but with the design itself. C# doesn't have the nice features Java has which would make that design work well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
                    Jokerine, Xireni, Superior_s and 3 others like this.
                  • Axis-

Axis- Void-Bound Voyager

1) Did you check your facts at the door (or bother with them in the first place)?

2) The SMAPI dev (Zoryn) did work with the Storm guys, and contributed to their API. They didn't disappear, they just thought Storm was a more promising project than their own.

Even if Zoryn didn't help with Storm, it's normal to drop development of deprecated software. Especially for someone that's been busy being a huge force on the modding scene aside from their API work.
                    3) It's understandable to be mildly frustrated that your favorite API's self-proclaimed "mastermind" bailed.
                    But it'd be great if we could stay reasonably calm, and discuss facts instead of making stuff up.

Jokerine, Xireni and Superior_s like this.
                    • FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

I genuinely didn't think anything I said was inaccurate, this is how I've heard it.

The fact of the matter is, at one point, someone said "Let's split this up into two separate efforts, for no reason" and everybody went along with it, and then one effort was provably shitty, but we're still for some reason torn between the two. The modders need to pick one and stick with it.

• OmegaX123

OmegaX123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most of them have. Almost no one is developing Storm mods anymore, and most of the pre-existing Storm mods are being back-ported to SMAPI.

Hearsay is not a good source. ALWAYS research before passing on third-or-fourth-hand information.

EpicAdventure, Nurio, Davrial and 4 others like this.
                        • ClxS

Don't worry about it, easy to get mixed up. A lot of the drama was scattered between multiple threads and IRC so was hard to follow.
                          But yeah, most modders are back to targeting SMAPI. There will hopefully be a change into targeting the new API in the future but as it's intended to completely replace SMAPI while staying compatible with most of the mods in it, there'll not be the fracturing that came with Storm/SMAPI.

s0118p, Davrial, Advize and 2 others like this.
                          • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I believe the lead storm developer is still banned from these forums for the better part of a month. He was, uhh... not the most reputable of characters.

Superior_s likes this.
                            • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I just looked at some of his posts for comparison to what I saw before.

God. He's really rude when addressing people's inquiries about the problems they're having. Jesus Christ, good thing he was banned. That's not cool, man.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
                                Davrial, sirentu and Superior_s like this.
                              • Davrial

Davrial Big Damn Hero

I just realized this was said on April 1st. Was that an April Fools joke, or an actual announcement?

taintedwheat likes this.
                                • ClxS

Davrial likes this.