RELEASED NPC Gift Taste Helper

Discussion in 'User Interface' started by TheCatMan, Mar 31, 2016.

1. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Void-Bound Voyager

Download this mod from NexusMods here.

Warning: This post and mod contain very slight spoilers regarding NPC's gift tastes.

This mod displays a helpful tooltip that shows an NPC's favourite gifts when hovering over their birthday on the calendar.

This works with both the calendar furniture item that you can have in your house, as well as the calendar on the billboard in town.

New "Progression" Mode

[​IMG]

In this mode you will only be shown the loved gifts that you have already given to an NPC. This mode can be enabled via the config (see below).

Note that you can freely turn this mode on/off and your progress will be kept.

You can also switch between sharing known gifts between saves and having unique ones per save seamlessly too.
    Also note that only the gifts you have given after downloading GiftTasteHelper 2.6 or later will be tracked.

[​IMG]

NEW: tooltips now appear on the social page thanks to dreamsicl!

[​IMG]

Support for all locales!
    [​IMG]

Requirements

This mod works with the most recent version of Stardew Valley (last tested with 1.2.33).

This mod requires SMAPI 1.15.2 or higher to run. The latest version it was updated for is 1.5.2 and 2.0.
    For instructions on installing SMAPI view this help page.

If you are unable to update SMAPI due to existing mods breaking then you can get the SMAPI 39.2 compatible version here (or attached to this post). Just note that this version will be less likely to be maintained in the future. I still highly recommend updating SMAPI to the latest version if possible.

NOTE: SMAPI 40.x and earlier support is no longer supported. Use at your own risk!

Installation
    1. Install the latest version of SMAPI.
    2. Unzip the mod folder into your Mods folder.
    3. Run the game using SMAPI.
    Configuration

In this mod's config.json file you will find options to enable/disable displaying the tooltip on the calendar and social page.

The config file is located in the Mods/GiftTasteHelper directory under your game install. To find your game directory click here. There is also an option for specifying the maximum number of gifts to display on the tooltip.

To edit the file just open it in any text editor.

The config will look like:

Code:
    {
      "ShowOnCalendar": true,
      "ShowOnSocialPage": true,
      "ShowOnlyKnownGifts": false, // This enables/disables progression mode
      "ShareKnownGiftsWithAllSaves": true, // Should known loved gifts be shared between saves or unique per save. Ignored unless ShowOnlyKnownGifts is true.
      "HideTooltipWhenNoGiftsKnown": false, // Hide the tooltip if you don't know any of that NPC's loved gifts. Ignored unless ShowOnlyKnownGifts is true.
      "MaxGiftsToDisplay": 0, // 0 means no limit
      "ShowUniversalGifts": true
    }
    Just replace true with false and save the file (game must be restarted for changes to take effect) for the menus you don't want to see the tooltip on and visa versa.

You can view the release notes here.

Source
    You can view the source for this mode here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
      Flumme, wty4321, Dakmordian and 17 others like this.
    • curi0

curi0 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always wanted something like this, it totally beats Alt-Tab looking at the Wiki. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Stardew Valley v1.06 + SMAPI v0.39.2
      Code:
      Found Manifest: C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Mods\GiftTasteHelper\manifest.json
      Loading Mod DLL...
      LOADED MOD: GiftTasteHelper by Tyler - Version StardewModdingAPI.Version | Description: Displays NPC gift tastes in a handy tooltip. (@ C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Mods\GiftTasteHelper\GiftTasteHelper.dll)
      Failed to load mod 'C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Mods\GiftTasteHelper\GiftTasteHelper.dll'. Exception details:
      System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'StardewModdingAPI.Events.EventArgsClickableMenuClosed' from assembly 'StardewModdingAPI, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
         at GiftTasteHelper.GiftTasteHelper.Entry(Object[] objects)
         at StardewModdingAPI.Program.LoadMods()

• TheCatMan

Ouch. Sadly the event causing that error was added in SMAPI 39.3.

Do you have other mods preventing you from updating to 39.5? If so I can try to create a 39.2 compatible version quickly.

• curi0

No, it's fine. I just haven't check the latest SMAPI, but I'll definitely use this mod later on. So, thanx for this, man!

• ress_1819

ress_1819 Void-Bound Voyager

I would really like a SMAPI 39.2 compatible version for this mod please. It's because some of the other mods that I need to use still haven't updated to 39.3 and doesn't work. Thanks in advance :)

sweetangel20 and RaulMarq like this.
            • TheCatMan

I quickly hacked together a 39.2 compatible version which you can get here or download the file attached to this post (I'll add it to the main post too).

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

curi0, RaulMarq and ress_1819 like this.
              • ress_1819

That was quick! Really appreciate your work, I have tried it and it works fabulously! Even compatible with Handsomematt's/Zoryn's CalendarAnywhere mod. However, I'm not sure if it's a kink with this mod 39.2 build but when the game is zoomed out fully @75%, the popup's alignments kinda busted, especially for the NPC's at the bottom of the calendar, where the popup's is almost off the screen. Aside from that, it worked flawlessly! :D

• ress_1819

Forgot screenshot

Attached Files:

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

This is wonderful! I'm stuck with SMAPI .39.1 since the majority of my must-have mods use that one so I'm not sure if it'll work for me. Can't wait to check it out once my other mods let me upgrade SMAPI ^_^

• TheCatMan

Strange, I swear I tested it with zoom and it worked fine, but I'll take another look. Thanks for the info!

I haven't tried it with 39.1 yet, but the 39.2 compatible version might work. I'll be updating the 39.2 version today anyway, so I might be able to make it work with 39.1 if it doesn't already.

ress_1819 likes this.
                      • curi0

It works really well, thanx! Is it possible to also show the gift taste info in the social tab?

• TheCatMan

That feature is a work in progress. :)

• TheCatMan

Okay I replaced the old compatible version on this thread with the new one that fixes the zooming issue in 39.2.

Let me know if you run into any other issues! :)

• ress_1819

I just tried your latest fix, sadly the issue is still present. I even tried removing all other mods except yours but the issue still persists :/
                              Maybe its because of different resolution settings? I use 1920x1080 btw, and I also tried on both fullscreen & windowed borderless but still same issue.

• TheCatMan

My monitor is the same resolution. Are you sure you downloaded the zip called "GiftTasteHelper_1.1_For_SMAPI_39.2_to_39.4.zip"?

Here's what I see when I"m running it with SMAPI 39.2 with zoom set to 75%.

Attached Files:

ress_1819 likes this.
                                • ress_1819

Oh gosh! My bad~ I thought you edited & reuploaded the old compatible version in the middle of the thread "GiftTasteHelper-39-2.zip". I just tried the "GiftTasteHelper_1.1_For_SMAPI_39.2_to_39.4.zip" and it works fine now! Thanks a lot, really appreciate it! :D

Attached Files:

• TheCatMan

Ah :p I'm glad it's working for you now! I'll remove the one from the other post to prevent any possible future confusion ^.^

ress_1819 likes this.
                                    • Helltech

Helltech Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know much about modding, but this little menu you have added, couldn't it be added to the social tab? I think that would be even more useful. Not that this isn't amazing as is.

• TheCatMan

Adding it to the social tab is on my agenda, but it's a bit trickier to do so it may take some time.

I'm also working on a mod that lets you save the game at any point which is a pretty large task and probably more desired, so this feature might be put on the back burner for a bit.

A good alternative for now to use this mod anywhere would be to use it in conjunction with zoryn's calendar anywhere mod. I haven't tested it myself but someone said it worked fine with it.

RionKatt and RaulMarq like this.
                                        • RaulMarq

RaulMarq Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's perfect, just the mod I want! I would play this game a lot more if I could save at any point, it sucks to lose progress because something comes up during an in-game day and I have to close the game!

TheCatMan likes this.