Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

Thank you sooooo much! Huge help :D

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

cantorsdust,
      Made a little guide here on using XNBNode, for the first time user that may have limited experience with doing anything command prompt related.

Feels kind of redundant in a way now that I see your "REDUX" thread and the guides in here, but if you'd like. If you could check it out and maybe add it to your list that would be awesome :nuruhappy:.

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

I'm back with another question related to buildings. You know how the Barn animal door is 2 wide and the Coop animal door is 1 wide? Where does the game pull that from? For example, if I wanted to make a building with a 3-wide animal door, is that possible with xnb modding alone? I know it has to tell the game somewhere how to use the textures in Content/Buildings but I can't seem to find where. Apologies if this is a stupid question and I've missed something obvious :D

• Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Seems to be done in the code :p Building class specifies a 1 wide animal door and barn class overrides that to make it larger... soooo I don't think you'll get there with XNB edits

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks, I thought that might be the case!

• Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Easy XNB Pack/UnPack Toolkit
              I made this because the current guides really overlook the simplicity of using XNB-Nodes unpack/pack <from folder> <to folder> syntax
              This lets you unpack and repack .xnb files in 1 click. No opening the command line. No typing necessary. Just put the files into one folder, and they came out the other side.

Directions:
              1. Unzip the contents of this zip-file to somewhere you can work with files- I'd recommend unzipping to the StarDew Valley folder.

2. Put your any .XNB file(s) you want to modify in the PACKED folder

3. Double click UNPACK FILES.BAT to extract the contents. Everything will go into the UNPACKED folder where you can edit the .PNG files.

4. To re-compile the image. Just double click PACK FILES.BAT, and everything will compile and overwrite the contents of the PACKED folder.

Download
              here or here

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
              • owlsomniac

owlsomniac Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds extremely useful, particularly since I can't seem to get the other program to actually unpack the files (it just "unpacks" them as xnb instead of PNG and YAML for some reason...)

One issue, though! I clicked the link, but my computer is warning me that the site I'm directing to may be unsafe. So, I probably won't use this unless the download can be uploaded to a different site (mediafire, or dropbox, for instance).

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Tried this guide? http://imgur.com/a/44FO5 its not very complex and it tutors you how to extract a whole folder, or just one file.

For example you want to extract Penny as a png/yaml. it would be xnb_node.cmd Content\Characters\Penny.xnb Penny.yaml

That command would send an unpacked Penny png and penny yaml to your Stardew folder, given you followed the whole process of opening the cmd box in the stardew folder and whatnot.

• owlsomniac

I tried it with the entire "Contents" folder. I copied the contents folder to the folder where I had the "xnb_node.cmd" file, and then shift+right clicked to open the command window. Then I input the command "xnb_node.cmd extract Content Work" where "Work" was to be the folder with the unpacked files. But it didn't do any unpacking. It seemed to read the files, though, every one of them, and it looked like this http://puu.sh/nPd8r/45a43b3e9b.png

No idea what went wrong! I was following a guide on youtube where they did it this exact same way, and having it in the same folder as the StardewValley.exe shouldn't make a difference (I don't think.. since I don't believe that .exe file has anything to do with unpacking the xnb files, really).

• Drogean

your computer sucks, but here

https://www.mediafire.com/?n2q2i44bi0nn738

owlsomniac likes this.
                      • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

did you shift+right click in the stardew valley folder? or inside the folder you wanted to unpack the files into?

• owlsomniac

Awesome!

I figured out the problem I was having with the other program, though -- just in case anyone else runs into this!

I have Comodo as my anti-virus program, and I think a recent update enabled something called "Automatic Sandbox" which basically gives the program free reign to sandbox any program, or file, it's unsure about. In this case -- all the PNG and YAML files I was trying to extract! It even did it for the Toolkit Drogean made up above. Maybe because it was doing something the antivirus seen as suspicious, I don't know.

In any case, I cleared out the sandbox by resetting it, and turned off "Auto Sandbox" so it has to ask me in future to do that, and now it's working perfectly.

This may be the case for certain other anti-virus programs as well, so if you're having an issue with your new PNG or YAML files not showing up as they should, try disabling or changing the options in your program so it's not as strict while you do it.

Cheers! :D

Drogean likes this.
                          • Drogean

can you comment on if my toolkit is working for you?

Jokerine and owlsomniac like this.
                            • owlsomniac

Yeah, I'm currently using your toolkit and it's working just fine. I didn't test the original program, but I assume it should work fine as well (since the toolkit basically does what the command prompt does, anyway).

Drogean likes this.
                              • cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

Updated guide. Added new tutorials for SMAPI and updated the status of API development.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

Demmonic and mdbell have officially left Storm? confirmed??

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can reply and confirm that it did work! I did some portrait editing with it and it was a breeze. So cool! Thank you so, so much for sharing! This is gonna be a lot of fun! :)

Drogean likes this.
                                    • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Still curious if you could add my guide on XNBNode for Beginners to your list.
                                      It's targeted at complete newbies to anything command prompt related and also includes Drogean's Toolkit. I'm still updating and cleaning it whenever I see cause to but it's complete in it's purpose at this point.

Thank you for your consideration.

Drogean likes this.
                                      • cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

Added! Very nice section on XNB Extract.

The modding community continues to grow, and it's inevitable that I will miss new developments sometimes, especially if they don't pop up on IRC. Anyone should feel free to bug me if you see anything interesting that is worth looking at.

Drogean and cure like this.
                                        • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

TYVM :nuruhappy:. Yeah, I tried dropping a couple lines in the IRC (Something I'm fairly inexperienced with myself), I just never got "Voice" in the chat. probably should of PM'd you.
                                          One other thing though, do you know if Draivin has given permission for his XNBNode to be included within other files or no? I'm sending him a message right now but he doesn't log on very often.. Currently we have XNBNode and the .bat files created by Drogean included in the same download. Just worries me a little bit xD. They're extremely simple and harmless .bat files but I just don't want to include other peoples work in separate downloads without their consent.
                                          Edit: Oh I see you included Drogean's file in your Tools section. So I'm just going to assume it's okay and leave it alone xD.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
                                            Drogean likes this.
                                          Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.