Modding Help How to boot the game in steam with SMAPI?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Kyler45, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

Just curious, having to boot StardewValleyModdingAPI.exe doesn't book the steam overlay, and because it isn't the official .exe, it doesn't register my playtime or work achievements either! Did I do something wrong? All I did was place the stuff in the same directory as Stardew Valley.exe

kno2231, Tiiago94 and iceburg 333 like this.
    • SinisterHumanoid

SinisterHumanoid Void-Bound Voyager

Well... I know a kind of crappy way of doing it.. But it involves "Add non steam game" at the bottom right, and selecting the EXE modded launcher from your files.

I do not believe you can launch the modded one as the steam official version.

Avarwen and Jhopper like this.
      • Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

Darn...Okay, thanks anyways!

• Julius691

Julius691 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you just have to drop steam_appid.txt inside your Stardew Valle folder ( \Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley ) now steam should say its the real game (sorry for my english, im german)

Attached Files:

• Luna_Amell

Luna_Amell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would that track achievements too?

• Julius691

sorry, but i dont know

• Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to accomplish anything! I already had it in the folder too.

• Julius691

its working for me

Attached Files:

• FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

It's your steam open? It connects to the overlay for me no probs.

• Julius691

you still have to start StardewModdingAPI.exe
                      not the Stardew Valley.exe
                      steam will say its the real stardew valley

• Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

It boots when I start StardewModdingAPI.exe, but no steam overlay, and in steam it does not say I'm currently playing a game, so it's not tracking playtime or achievements!

Edit: I made steam not run in administrator mode, so now it states I'm playing Stardew Valley, however the overlay doesn't work. I can deal with this though!

• Julius691

then i cant help you, sorry

• Julius691

oh i didnt read the edit, is steam tracking your playtime now?

• Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

If you read my edit, I posted It now tells me that I'm playing the game in steam, however for some reason the overlay doesn't work, but given that the game is borderless windowed I can deal with that, it's really just the playtime and achievements I care about anyways!

• Julius691

the overlay doesn't work for me too.
                                but anyway have fun playing stardew valley

• Wandernorb111

Wandernorb111 Void-Bound Voyager

There is an alternate method to start StardewModdingAPI.exe on Steam, by using the %command% method on the launch option for Stardew Valley on Steam.

It involves right clicking on the game on steam, and clicking on Properties, then going to the "Set Launch Options" button.
                                  From there, I used the %command% method. E.g. "(add the location of Stardew Valley)\StardewModdingAPI.exe" %command% , then applying it.
                                  To repeat the example again, here's how I set it up:

"J:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\StardewModdingAPI.exe" %command%

Just be sure to change the directory above to the location of Stardew Valley, and the StardewModdingAPI.exe file.

It worked for me, and I can open the steam overlay from the game - the Modding API console also appears when I run it straight from steam.

• Kyler45

Kyler45 Space Hobo

Ha! Thank you! I knew that you could change the target with launch options, but was forgetting to put "%command%"!

Thanks a million!

Wandernorb111 likes this.
                                    • shinzo2u

shinzo2u Space Hobo

Use this SMAPI don't get steam achievements ?

• Luna_Amell

Luna_Amell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm sorry, do you change the path on the normal Stardrew or the stardewmodding?

• Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

In the launch options for Stardew Valley in Steam, set the path to the SMAPI, which should be inside your Stardew Valley Steam folder.

[​IMG]

ArtiusTheFox, kno2231, Crucio and 5 others like this.