1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community [FIX] - Finding your homeworld after stable update [21/04/2015]!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Elite Space Hobo, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elite Space Hobo

Elite Space Hobo Void-Bound Voyager

Because Steam auto-updates Starbound for me, I had no chance to park my ship above my homeworld and I lost the coordinates.

Because it's a pain to find your world again, I made a Steam guide to help anyone else with the issue: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430309586

I would've been nice if they had created a 'home' bookmark when converting our worlds, but I guess it's a bit late for that.

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I thought this was something else... Or rather another person asking of it. Then was happy to see someone pointing out to those I had in mind.

Looks well enough, better than I could have explained. Great work.:)

Now to direct any who ask to this.:D

Although there are still some bugs pertaining to this. Some may not have lost the planet, but things on the planet glitched out per say. But still worth a try to see whether or not the glitch happens, and hopefully most their stuff will be in tact on the planet in question... can only hope on that one.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Elite Space Hobo

Yeah, I can't answer for other glitches--my own homeworld seems fine so far and my cat is still there--but I thought I'd save others the pain of trying to find their homeworld again because by the time I realized there WAS a stable update, it was already installed and I could no longer just press home.

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

yeah that is what I was assuming form most the people that mentioned it. Whether the glitch happens or not will only be known if this bit you gave is followed.

I personally had no problems, but then again I am on unstable; so I had more of a head way before this happened. Not that my planet was all that far from where I was. Just a couple systems away actually... I didn't explore vary many systems yet.

Got a couple bookmarks added. As starting a new character would not get my home planet to me, since the universe starting point for the primary character changed with the first Giraffe Stable update. Anyway good to have a reference, and do note; always keep things backed up. Well something i go by.:)

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

They actually mentioned it nearly 2 weeks ago that this was going to happen when the update first hit unstable.
    Though you can prevent auto updating in the future by setting download restrictions on steam to only update during a certain period of time. I usually set the time during sleeping hours when steam is generally off.

That way I always have the choice when to update.

Axe Garian, nimmerland, Dunto and 2 others like this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well this post was not about that though. It was for those that may have read and forgot, didn't catch/read, oblivious to the unstable branch, ones just play not heeding posts, and many more similar that didn't get the info in time.

Busy lives or forgetfulness aside, I was one to read and forget. Mainly because once that showed on unstable I immediately after an update hit went to my alternate bootup that I have stored to load a prior version to get the coordinates. Soon to realize how close the system was after the fact. Then went into the update bootup of the game and proceeded to find the system and bookmark it.

I know not all are zealous at backing up things as I am, but that was not the point of the post. It is to help those in the for of a guide to hopefully regain access to the planet in question and bookmark it. 2 weeks is a long time, even for me. I don't know how it is for the younger crowd, or anyone else; however for me it is something I have kept from childhood. The semblance of time. 1 week = 1 month. One reason I learned patience.:)

Good tip by the way. Although I might not heed it myself, it would be quite useful for others that worry on an update that might change something in the game. I just have a different approach to things. Thank you.:)

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Elite Space Hobo

Yeah, I totally forgot this would happen and I doubt I'm alone. I do wish they'd just given us a home bookmark on conversion, but oh well. I just wanted to save anyone who got stuck like I did.[DOUBLEPOST=1429767936][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, I do understand why they did it, but I don't think I'm alone in forgetting a post from weeks ago and it's not like I knew this patch would hit today (I normally want steam to just autoupdate, it doesn't often break things for me). So I just want to help the people who got bitten by this, and from what I can see it was more than a few. There are several rage threads on Steam, so you guys might want to put out a FAQ or something.

Hopefully this will help people go back to enjoying the game again if they haven't lost their home.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

I updated the thread title accordingly and stickied the thread for anyone that might be looking to find their home planet. Thanks for taking the time to write up this guide, @Elite Space Hobo.

9. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

This is a very nice guide.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Elite Space Hobo

Wow, thanks! I hope that helped other people, I was really worried about losing my planet at first, until I did some research and found out how the universe folder worked, then did some experimentation.

The new updates are great, BTW. I can't wait to set up teleporters everywhere!

EDIT: Oh, and I see you've also referenced the guide on Steam now, too. That's cool! Hopefully this will let people get back to enjoying the game again.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Been trying to look for my asteroid planet, but I don't remember where it is, and some numbers lead me to no star. is it not guaranteed that your planet survives the trip to giraffe?

12. Elite Space Hobo

They should have survived, barring a bug. Are you sure you're looking at giraffe_storage and not koala? Because the numbers were different between the two for me (and you want giraffe).

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. LittleFae

LittleFae Intergalactic Tourist

I really wish that they had given us an option to pick between having a unified homeworld across all of our characters, and having fresh spawns. Or to at least allow us to make multiple universes to play in. I appreciate that people got tired of losing their very nice bases... but now when I start a new character and want to experience leveling them up (rather than just mission spamming with stuff from my boxes at my fully upgraded home) I can't. And the planet I started on is more or less mined out of useful resources to the point that digging for more is more work than it's worth.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Trowicia

Trowicia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for this guide!

Axe Garian and Elite Space Hobo like this.
  15. Troubled_Brocoli

Troubled_Brocoli Poptop Tamer

guide helped me a lot, thanks!

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Guide is gone now.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Should be unstickie'd soon.

19. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Is this post still relevant?

20. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Should be if you look at the link I provided. the one in the original I don't know if has been updated or not, as the original guide for what ever reason doesn't exist. I just found one that does. Still same premises, if you forgot to bookmark your homework or something else happens and you loose the bookmark.

alextulinov likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.