Byte-Sized Sketches: A Starbound Art-Log

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Alkanthe, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Happy New Year!

Lately I've been drawing a lot. Actually, I always draw a lot. I just wanna share my drawing with people sometimes. So if I draw something Starbound-related, and I wanna share it, guess what? It goes here. I use Autodesk Sketchbook for Android and iPad for my digital drawings, pencil and sometimes pen or colored pencil for traditional drawings, and MSPaint/Paint.NET for my pixel art.

I'm not in-character as any of my characters here. It's just me, the creator. You can make requests, but unlike in previous threads I've had/have, I'm not gonna draw it if it doesn't interest me. This isn't primarily a request thread, after all. I might draw some of your characters as a surprise, or as a prize if more contests(!) happen. I know I'm going to go on about character backstories and future events.

So hey, come on in. Take a seat. And look at sketches that can fit comfortably in your hand.

From highest to lowest priority, usually by time added.
    1000th Post Project with
    - @Relten
    - @Lintton
    - @Firepaw Da Cat
    - @Apathy Applied
    - @Jaylor
    - @Tatterdemalion
    - @Rgbunpro
    - @rhomboid
    - and another friend

Working on a method of organizing drawings by character.
    Links, in alphabetical order, are currently HERE because I'm lazy.

Other art threads:
    The Alley: An Original Works and Fandom Art-Log
    Stardew Alley

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Peacheon, 611, Lavranzo and 19 others like this.
  2. oraserat

oraserat Cosmic Narwhal

This looks interesting

3. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Hmmm, i like this idea, keep going

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  4. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Varc Audial
    [​IMG]
    You know how Varc's earfins are pointy? Actually, only the left one is. The one on the right side of her head is partially broken off, like this. I had to try a few times to get her side profile right... but it's still easier than a human's! : P This is also why she likes to draw herself from the left.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Varc hates rain. That's why she and Thorntip made these raincoats. Gedath doesn't need one, because he rarely ventures outside the spaceship.

Because of something @Nibolas said recently, I had another, unrelated realization about Varc.
    She and Gedath built a child long ago, but he was killed. Since then she's shown little interest in building another... or in other forms of creativity. Her Little Doodlings, to be honest, are mostly (recent developments aside) just drawings of things that already exist.
    She hasn't been creating anything new, ever since her child died.

Until, that is, Nibolas inspired her to start drawing up schematics for another child.

[​IMG]
    Varc in her combat outfit. I forgot her goggles, but don't pretend she doesn't do that all the time too. Because she does.

[​IMG]
    So that's what that seam is for!

As a side note I've been thinking about who Varc sees as her enemies. @Nibolas hates Florans, @Demetrius_CF hates aliens (excepting Glitch and Novakid)... but who has hurt Varc the most?
    Well... Glitch drove her from her town, killed many of her friends, and forced her into exile. Savage animal life (assumedly) killed the rest of her friends. And then, another Glitch orchestrated a trap for her. It's other Glitch she's wary of. As @BloodyFingers knows, she does not tend to trust other Glitch easily, but any other species (especially Florans) she's more open to.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. Nibolas O Anelbozas

O thought that you made then pointy only as a style of art

6. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Well yes, they aren't actually really pointy. Like you couldn't poke yourself on them. I don't think I drew it that well but the point is the right one is partly broken off

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  7. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Thorntip
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Varc hates rain. That's why she and Thorntip made these raincoats. Gedath doesn't need one, because he rarely ventures outside the spaceship.

Oh, and here's Thorntip's backstory.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Oh Kluex...i feel bad for teasing your cybernetic feelings, could you accept an avian warrior apologies? *bow*

9. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

...actually, you're helping. As long as you aren't doing it as a joke.

10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

You see, my quest in this galaxy is to use my shield and sword to protect everyone that need help! especially Hylotl since they know the true danger...Glitches were always nice to me in their villages, so i love you guys! So if you need my help, call my name!

11. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

[​IMG]
    Varc in her combat outfit. I forgot her goggles, but don't pretend she doesn't do that all the time too. Because she does.
    I should really mention some of my other characters sometimes...

Arra, General Nuclear, sansy and 5 others like this.
  12. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

[​IMG]
    So that's what that seam is for!

As a side note I've been thinking about who Varc sees as her enemies. @Nibolas hates Florans, Demetrius hates aliens (excepting Glitch and Novakid)... but who has hurt Varc the most?

Well... Glitch drove her from her town, killed many of her friends, and forced her into exile.
    Savage animal life (assumedly) killed the rest of her friends.
    And then, another Glitch orchestrated a trap for her.

It's other Glitch she's wary of. As @BloodyFingers knows, she does not tend to trust other Glitch easily, but any other species (especially Florans) she's more open to.

Arra, General Nuclear, sansy and 4 others like this.
  13. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Huh. I though you hated my G.U.T.S (Gandhi's Universal Transmuting System) based on what I said, not for what I am. I mean, I am known for wanton mass destruction. It has been a while since I last dropped any nukes though. I've been a peaceful RoboGandhi as of late.

Alkanthe likes this.
  14. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

This was more in reference to the whole not-trusting-Glitch-to-rule-the-galaxy thing.

15. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

and yet she wanted to protect my poor lil glitchy glitch~~

Alkanthe likes this.
  16. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Ah yeah, that. She has a soft spot for, shall we say... those with programming errors. Often takes it upon herself to defend them.

17. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

lol well i'm sure he's grateful; it's more empathy than he gets from me lol

Alkanthe likes this.
  18. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

[​IMG]
    Let me tell you about Calamacy Ann. (She's the girl on the left... for now.) Of course Calamacy Ann isn't her real name. Her name is Annie Veris, and she belongs to a race I made up, known as the Maraxi.

It's likely she escaped her homeworld by figuring out the controls of a crashed ship on her own. The Maraxi may or may not have had that sort of technology... I'm not sure what timeframe she came from.

Anyways. After she left the planet, she eventually came to realize that there were a lot of people - even whole races - in danger. She started by rescuing people, and as she recruited many of those she rescued, her ability to aid people also increased.

The girl on the right is her daughter Ritah. Ritah is half Maraxi and half human, as her mom Annie married a human named Henry Stark. Maraxi have odd rules of marriage, so Annie kept the last name Veris, and Ritah was named Ritah Veris-Stark. (She tends to go by the Maraxi last name only, though.)

Ritah became a skilled painter with the encouragement of her parents, and eventually left to try to find her mother's homeworld.

She's succeeded, but Maraxi have a shorter lifespan than humans, and now her mother is dying. Now, she's in a race against time to make it back before Annie dies...

Assumedly, once her mother is dead, the title of Calamacy Ann will be Ritah's, along with command of her crew. Ritah's okay with that, though she does want a greater degree of mobility than can be afforded by the job... She may end up passing on the title to some other able being, once she's spent a while holding the post. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  19. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

[​IMG]
    Gedath Tinner, Varc's mate, is a rather laconic guy and may seem glitched at times, but under pressure he always performs well.

He's quite protective of her - not usually from outside dangers, but from herself. As you may have seen, she's quite fierce in her arguments, and it's likely she would not still be here - no, she definitely would not be here today were it not for him.

It's a mutual protection, actually, when it comes down to it. She defends from outside dangers, and he from inside.

20. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

[​IMG]
    This is a full-body sketch of the Glitch/Floran hybrid. @Nibolas and I are looking into maybe making characters out of all the hybrids...

Arra, General Nuclear, sansy and 5 others like this.