1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Expansions

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vegetable Lamb, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Vegetable Lamb

Vegetable Lamb Existential Complex

So as we approach 1.0, I can see a lot that devs wanted to get in there isn't going to make it. How would you feel if they were able to add more to the game in the form of expansion packs like so many other games do?

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

...I thought constant expansion was the plan all along.

3. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I assume they will sell some kind of expansion pack at some point.

4. If you're referring to the list of released changes -- keep in mind that the list is just that. Released changes. There's still a number of items done that are not on the list AND a number of items that are being worked on that will eventually be on the list in time for "1.0".

Additionally, the devs have already stated that they plan to update Starbound in the form of patches after it's release. I wouldn't rule out an expansion, but it would seem unlikely.

Serenity and Jonesy like this.
  5. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

If they made expansion packs after the game is finished it would probably have to be for free seeing as how they've already delayed the original game.

MysticMalevolence and Pingeh like this.
  6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well - I think content packs are really going to be based heavily on usage data. As long as "X" amount of continue to play the game. The game will be supported for a maximum of "y" amount of years.
    Now the issue comes as it is a - pay as they develop type game. How popular the game is going to be post official release. Many people already had a few hundred hours and already met their fill. Some comically requested a refund after playing a few hundred hours. Which truly blows the mind .

Anywho long story short - unless 1.0 is having some drastic shift in depth of the game. I give it 6 - 8 months of popularity. Followed by a maintenance of the more hardcore fan following crowd.

7. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

I doubt we'll see paid expansions any time soon. With our large modding community and Tiy's recent statement about making SB open-source, there won't be much incentive for Chucklefish to release new, paid content. There's very little in the way of mechanics that they could add that the community won't have already thought of and attempted.

Lore-wise, I suppose it's possible that we could see some additions, though I can't see them being worthy of their own DLCs - they'll probably just take the form of free content updates. That all depends on how compelling the lore turns out to be in the finished game.

Given those facts, I can't see how developing DLCs for SB makes financial sense for the company. They'd be better off re-allocating much of the talent they had working on Starbound to the development of a new game, while keeping on some core team-members to roll out regular updates.

8. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

The way a lot of games like this work, is to release continuous updates, even after release. Look at games like Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, even Terraria to a lesser extent. These games hit full version a while ago, yet continue to update for free. Expansion packs and DLC are more like optional content additions for a price. Chucklefish has already stated that the only money they're charging for Starbound is the initial purchase price of the game. No DLC, no "expansion packs". It's all free updates.

Finn Learson, KyPTeD and Ice_kitten like this.
  9. Vegetable Lamb

Vegetable Lamb Existential Complex

Do you think they will add select mods to the official game after 1.0?

10. SeaMichelle

Well, they already HAVE added some mods to the game. Skyrails were a community mod.
    I definitely see it happening in the future, especially with Metadept on the team, who started out just making mods for the game before Chucklefish hired him.

11. The | Suit

None of those really compare.
    TF2 gets free updates because valve makes more than a few million per year through the item shop.

Minecraft sold more than 54 million copies. Majority of those at full price [$35] - not to mention the licensing deals for products - minecraft cconventions - and various other third party associations.

Terreria is tiny in popularity compared to these 2. But it also has a few licensing deals with 3rd party products. Also probably not that impressive console sales.

======================
    These guys are not giving free updates for the love of it. It is a continuous flow of money.

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

In an immediate case it doesn't, but in the long-term?

It builds goodwill and trust in the consumer that Chucklefish is gonna stick with a product and deliver a hefty amount for the dollar. More people are more likely to buy a future new game from them if past experience tells them "they' put out a ton of stuff for a long time... and also makes people more likely to buy the game in the first place for a long time after its initial release if it's still "live" and they see "holy wow I get all THAT?".

(Team Fortress 2 is probably the perfect example, thanks SeaMichelle.)

13. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the biggest problem with them making paid updates is they have said that they are doing free updates
    when they gave a estimate for an updates release and missed it, people went crazy, threatening to kill the devs among other things.
    if they change the "free updates" policy they have... I dont want to think about what people will do

14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I'll start by saying I think it's highly unlikely that they'll do paid updates. However, if they finish what they set out to do, then decide to charge for anything after that mark, no one has any right to complain. (but yea, they totally would)

15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I don't recall ever saying anything about the updates being not-free.

16. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

The one you quoted was. That's probably why he assumed you were. /shrug

17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Fair enough. Bit of a reading bungle on my part.

But yeah. I can see this getting free content updates for a fair while on into the future.

18. SeaMichelle

Actually they've gone on record to say that they ARE.
    Tiy's even recently said that the team currently has enough money to fund Starbound for another 9 years at least, and that's just their current balance, nevermind the money they're bound to make when Starbound updates, when Wayward Tide starts up, etc.
    With that in mind, I don't think they'd ask for money for updates.

(reference: http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=327 )

19. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

SeaMichelle likes this.
  20. The | Suit

You confuse the situation.
    It isn't that they will ask money for updates. It is as long as the product continues to make money - they will keep updating.
    Which is what is seen with all the games that you have given as examples.

Take for example Towns - people complained towns stopped content updates. But it simply because towns no longer was receiving sufficient sales the 3rd party developer who was hired to continue the project quit.